P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Steps Ahead with Bob Berg

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Steps Ahead with Bob Berg

I was just browsing through itunes and picking up some Cd's I had in college that have been gone for about 20 years now. I got Mike Nock's Cd. "In Out and Around" which was way over my head but I listened to constantly for 2 years or so. (while I was listening to the Gonz albums also) anyways...........

while I was browsing I found a Steps Ahead album from 1999 with Bob Berg on it? I was the worlds biggest Steps Ahead fan and I had no idea this album even existed! I didn't even know Bob Berg ever played with them. It's called "Holding Together" (Live in Europe) Anyone else have this? How is it?

Forum Contributor 2011

Default Re: Steps Ahead with Bob Berg

Now that I'm thinking about it, I never got to into Bob Berg when I was younger. I was really into Brecker but then when I first heard Berg I just thought he was another guy sounding like Brecker. He was probably just developing his thing at the same time but I think because I was so into Brecker I just dismissed him. I have Another Standard,Enter the Spirit and Virtual Reality but that's it. I always loved Virtual Reality for some reason. One of my favorite albums.

A good place to start is "Eastern Rebellion 2" by Cedar Walton. 1975-82 imho, there was less Brecker influence in his playing.

Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Artist In Residence Tim Price's Avatar

There's a Horace Silver DVD...With Bob on. I suggest getting it for Horace tunes/and Bobs playing on them. ALSO- Bob's freedom that Horace gave him.

There were many times Horace gave a player space and let him cook- but Bob stole the show and Horace loved it. The way he killed these tunes and locked with the rhythm section is a must to hear.

Horace Silver Quintet: Live from the Umbria Jazz Festival 1976 (1976)

http://www.amazon.com/Horace-Silver-...326826&sr=1-43
    Check out my Sax Lessons -NyC-Pa-or SKYPE
    http://timpricejazz.com/study.html

Tim Price- On the Road (Promo)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TimPrice.../2/YGaAWGW5gWo

Info on SKYPE SAX STUDY W/ Tim
    http://www.timpricejazz.com/skype2.html

STUFF TO SHED ON SOTW from Tim
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/

Meet Saxophonist Tim Price / RICO REEDS ; YOU TUBE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGaAWGW5gWo

Steve, I'd highly recommend checking out the following:
    Cedar Walton "First Set"
    Cedar Walton "Second Set"
    Cedar Walton "Third Set"

They're all from 1982-83 with Berg on tenor, playing with Cedar Walton's trio.

Also...Bob Berg "Steppin" Live in Europe. From '88 I believe. In my opinion, one of the most burning rhythm changes solos you'll ever hear. Shoot me a PM (I don't have your e-mail addy handy) and I'll send you the audio and transcription.

John
    Endorser for Unison Saxophones

These Bob Berg solo albums where also great, I spent a lot of time listening to them in the late 80's
    Short Stories
    Cycles
    In the Shadows
    There is also a great record with Nils Lan doky, I think it was called 'the truth'
    I don't think bob sounded at all like brecker, he had a very distinctive tone which had a lot of buzz and edge, more of a screaming top end.I caught the Mike Stern-Bob Berg group many times with Dennis Chambers on drums. Like sitting in front of a hurricane.

I wouldn't neither qualify Berg as that breckerish, wether in sound nor in approach. Less cerebral, more instinctive. Huge energy, someone said hurricane. Heard him once with Steps, great concert. Plus a couple of times on his own or with Randy Brecker. Berg was more an instinctive and emotional player, and Steps was influenced by this, compared to the more intellectual approach of Brecker.
    His album http://www.amazon.com/Enter-Spirit-B.../dp/B000003OZG, in particular "Promise" are my favorites.
    Sop Yana SC900 - Vandoren S25 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

I'm a huge fan of MB's body of work, and agree there's some similarities between Berg's playing and Michael's. Lots of that post-Coltrane energy. While I've heard them both burn like crazy, when Berg was in the zone... wow. Never heard Berg with Steps, though.

I saw Brecker play Chromazone w. Stern, Andrews etc... 1987. But, have to say the Berg-Stern band really nailed this one...when Berg takes off in the version linked below it goes into the stratosphere. Love this clip (well it's split into 2 parts). Check out some of Berg's note choices on top, and Berg's complete command while generating this much energy. The band is having a rocking good time, just look at Stern grinning back as Berg goes off...

Chromazone Pt 1

Chromazone Pt 2

Berg could play a ballad great too, and sounded terriffic on soprano. Loved Stern's Time in Place and UpsideDownside albums, if you like fusion. And, Berg's Short Stories was a beautiful record.

In these wonderful old clips with Horace Silver (even with the poor quality), Berg sounds great (and seems to have a lot in common with Steve Grossman's style as did Brecker's early playing too, imho). Tom Harrell also sounds great, btw. And, NO dislikes!!! Think these were shared before, but well worth another listen...

Liberated Brother

Summer in Central Park
    Tenor: (to be named later), Saxscape FatCat Proto
    Alto: YAS23, Greg Wier NY 6m
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1122869

Also...Bob Berg "Steppin" Live in Europe. From '88 I believe. In my opinion, one of the most burning rhythm changes solos you'll ever hear. Shoot me a PM (I don't have your e-mail addy handy) and I'll send you the audio and transcription.

John[/QUOTE]

Hey Steve!

I couldn't agree more with John! At that time, Bob Berg was playing on an SBA tenor with a HR Link. His sound is KILLER! Unfortunately, shortly after that recording his sax was stolen. He then continued on with the FL & Mark VI setup until his death. I figured that since you play on a similar setup, you'd enjoy that bit of information.

All the best,

Jared

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jgreiner View Post
    Steve, I'd highly recommend checking out the following:
    Cedar Walton "First Set"
    Cedar Walton "Second Set"
    Cedar Walton "Third Set"

They're all from 1982-83 with Berg on tenor, playing with Cedar Walton's trio.

John
    I have one with Cedar Walton called Eastern Rebellion 2. Is that a different thing?

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by saxyjare01 View Post

John
    Hey Steve!

I couldn't agree more with John! At that time, Bob Berg was playing on an SBA tenor with a HR Link. His sound is KILLER! Unfortunately, shortly after that recording his sax was stolen. He then continued on with the FL & Mark VI setup until his death. I figured that since you play on a similar setup, you'd enjoy that bit of information.

All the best,

Jared[/QUOTE]

I'm checking out the samples on itunes now. Thanks, Steve

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by fsaxwas9 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of MB's body of work, and agree there's some similarities between Berg's playing and Michael's. Lots of that post-Coltrane energy. While I've heard them both burn like crazy, when Berg was in the zone... wow. Never heard Berg with Steps, though.

I saw Brecker play Chromazone w. Stern, Andrews etc... 1987. But, have to say the Berg-Stern band really nailed this one...when Berg takes off in the version linked below it goes into the stratosphere. Love this clip (well it's split into 2 parts). Check out some of Berg's note choices on top, and Berg's complete command while generating this much energy. The band is having a rocking good time, just look at Stern grinning back as Berg goes off...

Chromazone Pt 1

Chromazone Pt 2

Berg could play a ballad great too, and sounded terriffic on soprano. Loved Stern's Time in Place and UpsideDownside albums, if you like fusion. And, Berg's Short Stories was a beautiful record.

In these wonderful old clips with Horace Silver (even with the poor quality), Berg sounds great (and seems to have a lot in common with Steve Grossman's style as did Brecker's early playing too, imho). Tom Harrell also sounds great, btw. And, NO dislikes!!! Think these were shared before, but well worth another listen...

Liberated Brother

Summer in Central Park
    Man, That makes the version I did on my website sound like a ballad. I thought it was happening at the time but............. Whoa.

Forum Contributor 2011

Chromazone Pt 1

Chromazone Pt 2

Liberated Brother

Summer in Central Park
    Man, I can't imagine how much energy that takes to play that high energy for that long! That's nuts!

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

Chromazone Pt 1

Chromazone Pt 2

Liberated Brother

Summer in Central Park
    Wow, that's same great playing of Bob Berg. Thanks for posting Shawn.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

Man, I can't imagine how much energy that takes to play that high energy for that long! That's nuts!
    Yes, but he still connects. Another tune on the broadcast is Snakes and Stern plays a million notes, and Berg comes in playing a lot less notes and very melodically and proves to be a great foil. This amped up fusion isn't necessarily my favorite style but every now again as a change of pace it's fun to listen back. When I was younger, was a big fan of Scofield's electric group, Berg/Stern, and Steps Ahead, of course.

Shawn
    Tenor: (to be named later), Saxscape FatCat Proto
    Alto: YAS23, Greg Wier NY 6m
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1122869