Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Harness with a good hook?

I'm marching bari for school right now, and the slider I was using before gave up the ghost. Sadly during this time I did not have a hand on the horn for one reason or another, and the bell of my low A yamaha took a hefty fall. Thankfully my inexperienced eye saw no damage in the key work, and the horn still plays despite half the bell being temporarily flat.

Anyway, on to my question. I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive harness($40 or less) that has a hook that won't fail on me, but still has enough maneuverability to allow me to march . Right now I'm thinking a BG harness with a metal hook would be my best option, but I'm open for suggestions.

Default Re: Harness with a good hook?

I'm sorry to hear about your accident.
    I'm using a BG harness myself and are very satisfied with it.
    It's both sturdy and comfortable and has a snap hook.
    Though it's not of metal,it feels quite reliable.
    Enclose me in your gentle rain. Jim Morrison-The Crystal Ship

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor

The Neotech newer harness (Super, or something like that) is a good harness. They claim the synthetic snap hook they now use will not stretch or break.

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The Neotech newer harness (Super, or something like that) is a good harness. They claim the synthetic snap hook they now use will not stretch or break.
    I should have mentioned this in the OP, but I used a Neotech Super Harness last year. That one too ended up breaking in a similar fashion after less than a marching season. While the hook itself didn't break on it, the part that held the hook to the strap did. My friends also did the same thing around the same time. I did like it more than I liked the slider, but I'd rather not go through that again

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

I'd definitely recommend the BA Sling.
    Yamaha TS62 - Warburton LA; P. Mauriat 66R - Sakshama FL; Legeres
    Vito (Beaugnier) Baritone/HR Berg 105/1/M
    Buffet Greenline Clarinet; Yamaha 221-II Bass Clarinet

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    I'd definitely recommend the BA Sling.
    I've checked this out a fair bit, and I have some questions/requests. For starters, how hard is it to learn how to put it on properly? And how much more restrictive is it compared to your run of the mill neckstrap? Does it still cost around $25, and how much would I expect to pay in shipping for getting it to the United States? And could you post some close up pictures of the hook? There appear to be none on the site and I really need for it to be sturdy, after you almost destroy one bari sax and you tend to get paranoid.

Thanks in advance

FWIW I use a Zappatini. The most comfortable I've ever tried and I even got the old metal hook with it.

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mezmorizor View Post
    For starters, how hard is it to learn how to put it on properly?
    It really isn't a big deal. True, it's not as simple as a neckstrap, but I actually think it's easier than the Slider once you get the hang of it. (I'm not denigrating the Slider at all — it's the most comfortable setup for bari I've ever used — but I tend to hold my bari to the side and it's just more natural feeling with the B.A. Sling. You need to make sure the strap doesn't get twisted, that's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezmorizor View Post
    And how much more restrictive is it compared to your run of the mill neckstrap?
    The comfortable support gives me more freedom on a bari than I would have with either the Slider or a regular strap. It stores more easily in the case than the Slider as well.
    Does it still cost around $25, and how much would I expect to pay in shipping for getting it to the United States?
    Total cost, with shipping is, like $31.00. It arrived more quickly than some domestic orders I've made, maybe around five days.
    And could you post some close up pictures of the hook?
    The plastic one is about 3/16 of an inch in cross section and seems very durable. You can see the pictures on Allaert Pesman's Dutch website:
    http://www.ba-sling.com/
    Click on the highlighted B.A.Sling link, right above the video screen.
    Yamaha TS62 - Warburton LA; P. Mauriat 66R - Sakshama FL; Legeres
    Vito (Beaugnier) Baritone/HR Berg 105/1/M
    Buffet Greenline Clarinet; Yamaha 221-II Bass Clarinet

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

You can get the Neotech Super Harness with a metal hook.
    These guys stand behind their product. I would contact them about the 'failure' of the harness.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

The trouble with plastic hooks is that they break. The trouble with metal hooks is that they slowly eat through the fastening eye on the saxophone. My solution: get hold of the kind of fastening gear used on dog leashes and use that with your favourite harness.

Soprano: Yanagisawa S901. Alto:Yamaha YAS-875EX. Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z. Baritone: Yamaha YBS-62.
    Mouthpieces: Vandoren(SAT), Meyer (SAB), Phil-Tone(A), JodyJazz(TB), Yanagisawa(S).

Yes, one of the neck strap guys. Neotech's Avatar

Mezmorizor-

I'm sorry to hear of your experience with breakage on a Neotech Harness. This is indeed unusual to say the least, especially as you describe the break.

We would love the opportunity to fix your harness for you. If you would like to send it in I can see to it that it is repaired with either the swivel hook, or if you prefer an open metal hook we can do that for you as well. Most marchers, however, prefer the swiveling snaphook for extra security.

I'll send you a PM with the details.

In regards to the above post suggesting a metal dog lead clip, I would recommend doing so with caution. Many of these clips are made from a cast metal vs. a forged metal, and as such are actually quite brittle and can snap more easily than a good plastic clip.

Psychologically, metal may always seem to be "stronger" than plastic, but with modern engineering this simply cannot be taken for granted any longer. A clip made from cold-rolled steel will certainly be stronger than a styrene plastic one, but similarly an engineered plastic reinforced with fiberglass will be much stronger than a cast metal clip made with poor alloys.

In every instance you have to consider the intended use of the product. We design and custom formulate the plastics used in our hooks specifically to be stronger than needed to support any saxophone. This is something that we take very seriously, as it is our intent to have musicians be able to concentrate on holding the groove much more than worrying about a falling horn.

Cheers and best of luck to you!
    Last edited by Neotech; 08-31-2011 at 02:11 PM.

i have searched in vain for a good sturdy bari harness that has a metal hook as i wont trust plastic. i dont like neotec idea of a strechy neckstrap as you dont get enough support on very heavy sax like a bari.
    runyon mouthpeices-no need to look elsewhere

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

The Neotech Super Harness stretches very little. It's also more comfortable than the older style 'H'-back type.
    I like mine a LOT.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Neotech View Post
    In regards to the above post suggesting a metal dog lead clip, I would recommend doing so with caution. Many of these clips are made from a cast metal vs. a forged metal, and as such are actually quite brittle and can snap more easily than a good plastic clip.
    Agree. Mine is from stainless steel and bought at a sailing boat accessory shop.
    Soprano: Yanagisawa S901. Alto:Yamaha YAS-875EX. Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z. Baritone: Yamaha YBS-62.
    Mouthpieces: Vandoren(SAT), Meyer (SAB), Phil-Tone(A), JodyJazz(TB), Yanagisawa(S).

i have to play bari standing up all nite . lucky i found a very light vintage conn12m to replace my heavy super 20. a really good harness would really help. i also have to make fast changes to alto . using a ray hyman for now but worried about about the plastic hook-saw one break on another bari players once

Yes, one of the neck strap guys. Neotech's Avatar

@ super20dan
    If you're looking for a non-stretch strap with a metal hook, we do make the new Pad-It Strap. It features a wider pad made from a memory foam which has no stretch to it. It is available with an open metal hook that is plastic-covered to help protect the instrument's strap ring against abrasion.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mark Fleming's Avatar

BG harness. I liked it so much with my bari that I still use it for tenor. If you don't like the metal to metal contact, stick a little plastic tubing on the hook. The curve of the hook will hold it in place. When you hear metal-to-metal clicking, adjust the plastic. Should be good for 10 years. If you do have any abrasion on the strap ring, you can get it replaced for about $25. Compare that to the cost of dent work.

I just had another plastic hook fail this weekend. Not on my sax, I won't use them there. This was on a small camera bag. It's the plastic swivel that fails, as this is a press-in fitting that wears. If a neck strap had a hook doesn't swivel, I would trust it more, just not as much as metal.

Mark

Forum Contributor 2012

I will be in receipt of some custom, hand made leather straps soon. I will post pictures and my thoughts on them then.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

thanks-that neotec pad it strap looks like it might hold promise

Brancher is the solution, great neck strap, best hook!
    Be happy making some good music!
    My band.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast