Antigua Winds

Default New Orleans brass style: What is it? How to do it?

The kind of style featured in "Treme" and elsewhere. I mean when there are lots of horns playing melodies on top of one another. Is there a name for this style? "Second Line"? Is there a scale/mode associated with this type of playing?

"When the Saints go Marchin' in" often has this style to some extent, but also the music played at funerals.

I know this is more brass-dominant, but I really dig it, and would like to play along at home on my sax...

video

?

E-mail problem

Default Re: New Orleans brass style: What is it? How to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by jodaboda View Post
    The kind of style featured in "Treme" and elsewhere. I mean when there are lots of horns playing melodies on top of one another. Is there a name for this style? "Second Line"? Is there a scale/mode associated with this type of playing?

"When the Saints go Marchin' in" often has this style to some extent, but also the music played at funerals.

I know this is more brass-dominant, but I really dig it, and would like to play along at home on my sax...

video

?
    My advice would be to learn how to play it like all those musicians learned it. Check out Rebirth and soul rebels brass bands for the modern, funk-based brass bands. I know most of the people in Rebirth don't know the first thing about theory, they just play what they hear. Scales most associated with this music is pentatonic and blues scales. New Orleans Brass bands can range from very traditional to funk, just listen to whatever you want to play. Once you really start feeling it, it should be a brees (I had to)

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freehugs View Post
    I know most of the people in Rebirth don't know the first thing about theory, they just play what they hear. Scales most associated with this music is pentatonic and blues scales.
    This. It's typically a very stripped down version of jazz from a theory perspective. You can't go in there playing bebop licks because it doesn't fit. Keep it simple, keep it melodic, and keep it funky.

Also, very important, make sure you're not quite in tune with the guy standing next to you.

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

I think if you really want to dig this, you must go back to the source: the NOLA piano players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CmtUCB_hDg

Simple? Yeah right...until you try it!
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

E-mail problem

Quote Originally Posted by rleitch View Post
    I think if you really want to dig this, you must go back to the source: the NOLA piano players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CmtUCB_hDg

Simple? Yeah right...until you try it!
    That's a different style than what the OP was interested in, he's more looking for this I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E1VBCcA76E

I love Rebirth, Soul Rebels, MarchFourth, etc. That is the sound I am curious about.

Dr John is awesome as well. I do like the sax playing (Hu Ta Nay, etc), but that's pretty Desmond-y to my ear.

Thanks. I guess I'll just give it a go, once it's late enough in the day that the neighbors should be awake...