Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Modern tenor metal Links differences, please

What is/are the difference (s) between modern metal links?

I have seen two models in WWBW one is referred just as ¨Otto Link Metal saxophone mouthpiece¨ and the other says ¨Otto Link Metal New York series saxophone mouthpiece¨
    Te quiero mucho Papi. Mandame tu bendición

Default Re: Modern tenor metal Links differences, please

The NY series has a larger chamber and a slightly larger body. They have letters "NY" stamped on the shank. I don't know if there's any difference in the facing curve. I A/Bed 1 pair of STM & NY in same opening (6*), the NY needs a tad more air, the sound is a bit darker and less projecting.
    Ricanna is only a sequence of letters I randomly picked as an "internet ID". I have no idea it is a valid female name. Just for clarification, I am male.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

A good NY also is a little more coarse or husky than an STM.

I have no idea why the NY costs more. Babbitt does not sell them to distributors for more.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Thanks guys, I actually play a metal berg larsen 105/2, it is more on the dark side of the spectrum, and it projects ok, but not so loud. I also have a Jumbo java T75, but usually I dont play my gigs with this JJava because I find its sound too bright for my taste. If I have to choose between these two Links, what should be my election? I want a sound just about the middle from my Berg and my Jumbo java.
    If you know any clip or video from the net showing the two links models I will appreciate it.

Thanks

I dont think the STM or the NY would sit between the two mouthpieces you have. Both the Berg and the Java are bright... the Otto Links are not !

P.S. If I were you I would have a talk with the guy sat above you ! (Phil-Tone)

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

In my opinion, the production variation in STMs is larger than the difference between the STM NY and regular STM designs. A good NY will beat out an average regular and vice versa. So you need to try out several of each or just take a chance.

Since Durand has a difficulty in trying out mouthpieces, I would say just take a chance on a regular STM.

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

I completely agree with Mojo. I have a modern 6* STM and a modern 7 STM NY.

Variables:
    STM - a Rovner EVO-5 seals the reed to the plate much, much better than the stock lig
    NY - The stock lig works great or just as well as the Rovner.

If that reed doesn't seal against the plate, nasty things happen.

I have a silk swab that I run through either mpc when done playing. The silk swab has a plastic coated metal weight on the end of it. The weight will slide through the STM easier than the NY! This puzzles me as the NY "should" have the larger chamber. It "catches right at the intersection of the opening and the table. Once past that point it goes through fine. Go figure.

The STM will play great with the Rovner and either a 2.5 or 3 Rico Royale or 2H RJS on it. The NY will play great with a bit more resistance, using the RR 2.5.

As Sigmund451 stated the NY sounds a bit darker or perhaps huskier is a good word for it. I like them both for their different sounds. Wouldn't mind sending off the NY and get it blueprinted but that's not a priority right now as the STM is my go to mpc.

Nice to read your comments! thanks a lot. I have seen at Prowinds the Otto Link regular STM at US$ 129.00 it is the best price I have seen , I am tempted to order a 6*.

I´ll see