Sax on the Web Forum banner

A little confused on the SX 90 and the SX90 R

5K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Dr G 
#1 ·
So I received the Nickel Silver SX90 R and its real nice but why do the ergonomics seem better on the SX90 R . It just seems smoother and lighter action and easier to get around the keys . Is my SX90 out of adjustment ? they are both brand new . I can get the SX90 for 2000 and the SX90 R for now 2660 . decision time !

Doug

#2 ·
Are they from the same supplier?

It may well just be differences in the set up. You would need to ask a tech to lighten the action on the SX90. If that doesn't make a significant difference then that's why you try both horns and pick the one you prefer........

#4 ·
The Nickel Silver and Shadow (also nickel silver) horns have different keywork, IIRC. Better ergonomics on those horns than the standard SX90 and SX90r. Where are you getting the Nickel Silver SX90r for $2660? WWBW? That seems a better price than I've seen them for.

#6 ·
Doug, seriously -- you got the two horns in your mitts. You would know better than anyone which is more inspiring to play. Forget about technical details and theoretical mumbo jumbo. Which one is more inspiring to play? Now that you have them both, which one are you most likely to get out of the case? Forget about which one is supposed to be better. Keep the good one, send the other one back.

#7 ·
And if neither one reaches out to ring your bell, consider that "neither" may be the correct answer.

#9 ·
Sheesh, again with the Mk VIs... There are SO many great horns out there that have "Selmer" nowhere on them.

#12 ·
That's DOCTOR Positivity to you, sir. :twisted:

I'm just trying to raise a lil' awareness that there exist horns other than the Mk VI. Do you not agree?

Might you also consider that if someone is sitting with two brandy new horns in their lap and they have to ask SotW which one is better, that (just maybe) something ain't lighting the fire?

Buy the nickle silver J-K!

I look forward to seeing what it sells for in a couple months.

#15 ·
That's DOCTOR Positivity to you, sir. :twisted:

I'm just trying to raise a lil' awareness that there exist horns other than the Mk VI. Do you not agree?

Might you also consider that if someone is sitting with two brandy new horns in their lap and they have to ask SotW which one is better, that (just maybe) something ain't lighting the fire?

Buy the nickle silver J-K!

I look forward to seeing what it sells for in a couple months.
My boo-boo Doc!

#16 ·
All is good.

Joe, I've been avoiding the question because I'm afraid of the potential answer: What part of who's body is that tattoo (in your avatar) on?

#26 ·
... but if you try sometime, you get what you need.

Which way are you gonna go for a mouthpiece?

#31 ·
I agree on the mkvi side of things. They are amazing saxophones, but other saxophones are just as amazing, but in different ways. The mark 6 was so popular as it was a large step forward in saxophone ergonomics and had a nice sound. They are not always the best horns, however I still love MKVI's. I just got a Keilwerth, and for what I need in a sax, it's probably going to work out nicer for me in the end than a MKVI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.