P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzalez Reeds

Default Re: Gonzalez Reeds

I very much liked a batch of Gonzalez reeds I had a few years ago, particularly for the Baritones which were good reeds and lasted way beyond Vandorens.

Anyone want to trade some alto sax Local 627 reeds? I have 9 unplayed strength 2 1/2. I wouldn't mind trading them, or a subset of the 9, for an equal number of 2 1/4 strength. They seem pretty hard.

Best to email me, saxcats9971 at yahoo. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BPSAX View Post
    I have been solely using Gonzalez for 7 years.
    The soprano reeds are the best on the market, and the alto and baritone work great for me also.
    I have not had success with the tenor reeds.
    Hello! you should try our new tenor reeds for jazz. we are also working on improving the traditional models!

Quote Originally Posted by jlima View Post
    Would you care to share what UK shop you are referring to? Thank you!
    Windcraft Ltd. | England
    Reform Road. SL6 8BT. Maidenhead. Berkshire. UK.
    Phone: +44 1628 778377
    Web Page: http://www.windcraft.co.uk
    E-mail: sales@dawkes.co.uk

Hey it's great to have the Gonzalez factory on this thread.......right, now I've got you let me ask a question......

Dawkes Music and Windcraft here in the UK, where I've been getting my Gonzalez 2.75 tenor reeds for several years, put in a large order for Gonzales reeds a few months ago which included the 2.75 tenors. They received the order last week and it was complete except for the 2.75 tenors which they have now ordered again from you and don't expect to receive for around 60 days.

Similarly, Thomann in Germany told me they didn't receive any 2.75 tenor reeds in their last order from Gonzalez which is why they are also now out of stock. I've gone to a couple of other suppliers in Europe, in Holland and France, and they haven't got 2.75 tenor reeds ether.

So does the Gonzalez factory have a problem with 2.75 tenor reed production?

Oh, and by the way.........
    we are also working on improving the traditional models!
    Please don't do that.....they 'aint broke so don't fix 'em.
    Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional

for me, (playing on an a28), the normal range is the most beautiful i have ever heard. but i cant get past A3. anyone else having problems in the altissimo range with gonzalez? i really do love their sound, when i can get it out.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzalezreedsfactory View Post
    Hello! you should try our new tenor reeds for jazz. we are also working on improving the traditional models!
    who has these for US distributors ?

Distinguished SOTW Member Saxland's Avatar

Short version:
    1) SLM acquired Zonda from Powell Flutes
    2) Zonda will become a SLM house brand
    3)The SLM warehouse has 10,000 boxes ready to ship to retailers immediately. To speak to an SLM sales rep today, call 1-800-844-9653

Complete Long version from this link: http://www.stlouismusic.com/?view=zonda%20reeds

May 15, 2009

ST. LOUIS — “From the outset we’ve been looking to develop reeds for retailers that are of amazing quality,” says Stan Morgan, President of St. Louis Music (SLM). “Zonda Reeds are a perfect fit for us. In addition to being made from what many believe are the greatest cane fields in the world, these saxophone and clarinet reeds come in up to 20 different ‘sub-strength’ grades so each player can get their absolutely pitch-perfect reed.”

SLM acquired Zonda from Powell Flutes, and their products will be further developed for the national and international market.

“The cane is grown on the revered Plantación de 3 de Mayo plantation tended by the famed Juan José González family,” Morgan adds. The cane is grown without the use of pesticides or fertilizers and is hand picked, and each reed is cut with the tip facing the growth direction of the plant. “The wind, coming off the ocean, shapes the reeds to perfection, and then Zonda’s technically advanced C&C machines prepare them in many grades.” The boxes they come in are serialized with a seven-digit lot number and harvest year, “like fine wines,” which helps players brings out the best in their playing.

Zonda will become a SLM house brand and will be positioned as high-grade reeds at for advancing students, teachers, and professionals who care about their tone. Typical of all SLM house brands, they are backed by service from experienced, knowledgeable sales staff.

The SLM warehouse has 10,000 boxes ready to ship to retailers immediately. To speak to an SLM sales rep today, call 1-800-844-9653.

U.S. Band & Orchestra Supplies Inc. is a leading distributor of musical instruments and accessories and the corporate owner of St. Louis Music. The company is the exclusive sales and marketing agent for E. K. Blessing brass and woodwind instruments and the owner of Knilling® Stringed Instruments, Perfection® Pegs, Austin® Guitars, and Apollo™ Drums. St. Louis Music distributes 20,000 products from over 400 of the music industry’s leading brands and manufacturers
    http://www.smallsjazzclub.com
    CANADA'S National Jazz Radio Station is www.Jazz.FM

Distinguished SOTW Member Saxland's Avatar

Just realized this was Gonzalez Reeds who used to own Zonda reeds, from this page: http://www.gonzalezreeds.com/english/distributors.html

Main website page is http://www.gonzalezreeds.com/

North America

Conn-Selmer Inc. Canada | Canada
    P.O. Box 310. Elkhart. 46515-0310. Indiana. USA.
    Phone: 1 574 5221675 (Local) - 1 800 3487426 (Toll free)
    Web Page: http://www.conn-selmer.com
    E-mail: bengstrom@conn-selmer.com

Kemnay Music Ltd. | Canada
    Site 150, Box 18, RR #1 Brandon, Manitoba Canada R7A 5Y1
    Phone: 1 204 724 7528
    E-mail: kemnaymusic@xplornet.ca

Bravo Music S.A de C.V | Mexico
    Madero Pte. 810, Centro Monterrey, Nuevo León, C.P: 64000 - México.
    Phone: +52 81 83741640
    Web Page: http://www.bravomusic.com.mx
    E-mail: ventas@bravomusic.com.mx

Conn-Selmer Inc. USA | United States of America
    P.O. Box 310. Elkhart. 46515-0310. Indiana. USA.
    Phone: 1 574 5221675 (Local) - 1 800 3487426 (Toll free)
    Web Page: http://www.conn-selmer.com
    E-mail: custserv@conn-selmer.com

Edino Biaggi - Double Reeds | United States of America
    135-19 62nd Ave, Flushing, NY 11367
    Phone: 347 891 9034
    E-mail: edibiaggi@hotmail.com
    http://www.smallsjazzclub.com
    CANADA'S National Jazz Radio Station is www.Jazz.FM

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzalezreedsfactory View Post
    Who sells the Tenor Jazz reeds in the U.S.?

Couldn't say about retailers, but it looks like Conn-Selmer is the U.S. distributor. http://www.gonzalezreeds.com/english/distributors.html

Forum Contributor 2012

How might a U.S. resident such as myself purchase a box of the new Tenor Gonzalez Jazz reeds?

I believe I've seen the alto jazz ones on the 1 stop clarinet site. Maybe they have tenor as well? Also, I think Sam ash and pm woodwind stock the regular Gonzalez. Maybe they have the jazz reeds too.

I am curious to try these reeds as well...

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 jicaino's Avatar

I've been using the jazz version of gonzalez reeds ("Local 627") on my tenor and bass clarinet (I use tenor reeds on BC) since they launched it a couple of months ago. Best reed I've ever tried in my life.
    Juan Ignacio Caino
    "The more you sweat during practice, the less you bleed during combat"
    I prefer e-mail messages to PM
    my email adress is jicaino@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/jicaino

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    I've been using the jazz version of gonzalez reeds ("Local 627") on my tenor and bass clarinet (I use tenor reeds on BC) since they launched it a couple of months ago. Best reed I've ever tried in my life.
    Now that's a pretty compelling endorsement! How do the reed strengths of the tenor jazz versions match up with the regular cut Gonzalez reeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Laughlin View Post
    Now that's a pretty compelling endorsement! How do the reed strengths of the tenor jazz versions match up with the regular cut Gonzalez reeds?
    I know. It may sound like shilling, but I'm known down here because I only endorse what I really like and I don't have ever cut an endorsement arrangement with a vendor or manufacturer. I feel like being free of endorsement deals gives me the oportunity to express myself more clearly, for the things I think they're really good or when I have to criticize something.

IMHO the Local 627's are about half a point softer in strenght than RC's. They feel like a VD classic if you will... And I repeat, I sincerely think they hit the nail in the head with this cut.
    Juan Ignacio Caino
    www.facebook.com/jicaino

Forum Contributor 2012

I know. It may sound like shilling, but I'm known down here because I only endorse what I really like and I don't have ever cut an endorsement arrangement with a vendor or manufacturer. I feel like being free of endorsement deals gives me the oportunity to express myself more clearly, for the things I think they're really good or when I have to criticize something.

IMHO the Local 627's are about half a point softer in strenght than RC's. They feel like a VD classic if you will... And I repeat, I sincerely think they hit the nail in the head with this cut.
    It doesn't sound like shilling to me. It sounds like you found something you really like. That's good enough for me. I'll try them, and if I end up liking them more than my coveted RJSs, then you'll hear some real shilling!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Laughlin View Post
    It doesn't sound like shilling to me. It sounds like you found something you really like. That's good enough for me. I'll try them, and if I end up liking them more than my coveted RJSs, then you'll hear some real shilling!
    Just want to cover my behind, in case somebody thinks that I'm shilling for Gonzalez reeds, or that I get a fat paycheck at the end of the month for mentioning them at this temple of colective wisdom. This forum has turned a place on wich you cannot always sing your praises and speak about your personal apreciation for certain products without somebody trying to burn you on the stake.
    Juan Ignacio Caino
    www.facebook.com/jicaino

RJS 3M are approximately comparable to 2 3/4 on Local627.
    Juan Ignacio Caino
    www.facebook.com/jicaino

RJS 3M are approximately comparable to 2 3/4 on Local627.
    Thanks for this information. I eagerly await my local store's shipment of these in January.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast