Sax on the Web Forum banner

Outdoor Gig Prep.

5K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Bubba06 
#1 ·
I've got an outdoor gig, which is my first paying gig outdoors.

It's essentially going to be on a street corner in a outdoor shopping area, (book stores, bed stores, target, movie theatre, etc)

I'm going to be switching between alto/tenor sax.

So far all I've heard is to make sure to have a variety of reed strengths.

Thanks,
-Bubba-

#4 ·
If it's in this kind of heat, bring plenty of water, take as many breaks as possible, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen. Ideally, you might even see if the shopping mall could provide a collapsible tent, esp. if during the heat of the day. Really, keeling over is your greatest concern.

#5 ·
Generally I will use Rico Plasticover reeds on hot outdoor jobs, particularly on the non-primary horns. Take a cooler with just ice and bottled water - no covert drinking. Wear light-colored clothes. Take a straw hat if there is going to be no shade. Speaking of shades, always play in shades, particularly in the daytime. If anybody makes a remark about wearing shades inside or at night, just say 'The sun always shining when you cool'. :)
Keep your horns out of the sun if possible.

#6 ·
If it's really hot, your horn will be sharp. Pull the mouthpiece out as far as possible. You will still be sharp.

#8 ·
Unsupervised children will want to touch the horns while you are on break. When you are playing and one sax is on the stand a small child may take an interest and want to touch it and may knock it over. Take your cases and build a barrier to keep them away from your horns at all times. It would probably be best to put them in their cases during your break.

#12 ·
30% of my gigs from April to September are outdoors. They are no different in most ways. Keep your saxes from baking, hydrate, sunscreen and bug-spray. Play and enjoy. Yes- excessive heat will make your sax play a bit sharp. It sounds like you may have the added concern of keeping a careful watch on the sax you're not playing at the moment.

#14 ·
Much good advice here. For me, the variable which looms largest in how well I can tolerate an outdoor concert is whether we can set up in a shaded area. Playing in the sun, especially if surrounded by concrete and paving is pure H.....!

#17 ·
Can't agree more with keeping your horns safe from kids. The little buggers will get into everything so put your horns in the case during breaks. You can leave the mouthpiece and reed on the neck, just stuff it in the bell. And keep your cases out of reach as much as possible. I lost a set of earplugs and a few other items while onstage at a local "kid friendly" place. Don't rely on the parents to keep the little darlings in line either. I've seen parents do nothing while their kids raided the tip jar.

#19 ·
Can't agree more with keeping your horns safe from kids. The little buggers will get into everything so put your horns in the case during breaks... Don't rely on the parents to keep the little darlings in line either. I've seen parents do nothing while their kids raided the tip jar.
Yeah, what is it with outdoor gigs that people think that during breaks the stage becomes a hospitality tent. I will scare the living hell out of any kid that comes near the equipment... and in some cases, even wives. Should be no different than on indoor gigs where I feel the stage is sacred and I will discourage anyone from crossing over the border during breaks or set up. Anyone.

#20 ·
I used to do quite a lot of outdoor gigs. They made me switch to synth reeds. Try to play in front of a wall, door, window, whatever, instead of ... nothing. Having some surface behind you will give you a bit more of projection, and also avoid the above mentionned kids to jump in from anywhere.
By the way, think again if you REALLY need both horns. Having only one makes it REALLY easier outside.

#21 ·
I like a piece of plexiglass on the music instead of just the clothes pins. It depends upon how windy it is of course, but the plexiglass seems to always work well for me. I often take two pieces of 8 1\2 " by 11" and put one of either side of the binder rings for a two page chart. It would be best to have the tunes memorized but this is sometimes not possible if you don't know all the charts by heart.

#22 ·
Some great points posted. I use a plexi reflector all the time, inside and out. One poster recommended ideas about increasing projection - with all due respect, the outdoors will win - you can't beat it without a PA system. Play exactly like you always do but perhaps hug the mic a little closer. Resist at all costs the temptation to blow harder to be heard - it doesn't work outdoors. If there is no PA, people will just have to get closer to hear you. If there's an electric guitar on the gig you're buried anyway. Might as well just cool out, toot along and get your check at the end. You will kill yourself trying to keep up with an imbecile with an amplifier.
There's another thing about outdoors, although off-topic; some very influential players have said over the years to find your sound outdoors. This is because playing outside strips away the false acoustics of being in a room, leaving only the real sound. If you can spend some time every week practicing outdoors you may notice some good results over time.

#23 ·
the plexi plates are absolutely the way to go with sheet music outside...they even somehow sturdy up your silver manhasset stand

#26 ·
Skip the folding stand if at all possible. Get a solid stand like you used in school - the heavier the better, one good gust and a folding stand is history.

#28 ·
Keep in mind that with any music stand or sound reflector, there is a real danger of it being blown over. You could get serious horn damage if something like that whacks your instruments. When a storm is brewing or just on a gusty day, the 'sail area' of anything not solidly mounted comes into play at surprisingly mild wind speeds. I used to use a really big plexi reflector but had it blow over my iron-based Atlas mic stand numerous times. Through experience I finally came up with a size/shape that works.
Plexi covers for your music are great, but they complicate page turning and can still blow off the stand unless secured with clips.

#29 ·
It's essentially going to be on a street corner in a outdoor shopping area

I'm going to be switching between alto/tenor sax.
Maybe it's just me, but when I read this the first image that came to my mind was somebody stealing the horn you're not playing. Maybe it's because I've seen some bad stuff go down on the streets of San Francisco and your "street corner" is a completely different situation, like a suburban shopping mall. Still, I'd keep my eye on the horn I wasn't playing. Or just play 1 horn. Less gear is more peace of mind, especially outside.

Also, sound disappears outside.

#30 ·
Shoot... Now I'm a little bit terrified. Like you said, it shouldn't really be an issue with it being in the middle of a suburban shopping area. I'll probably just play Tenor to avoid stupidity.

All of our music, except for a few originals are going to played straight of the massive real books, and my stand is built like a tank, so I'll be fine, though I'll keep glass on the pages to make sure.

All great advice.

-Bubba-

#31 ·
Maybe it's just me, but when I read this the first image that came to my mind was somebody stealing the horn you're not playing.
You are correct. You have no control over what may be walking around in the area. Someone on drugs will not think twice about grabbing a horn on the run and dropping in the pawn shop for a few bucks.

Take one horn or keep an eye on the one you are not playing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.