P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marc jean Lig

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Marc jean Lig

[QUOTE=JL;1700368]

Now, I have to say after just the first trial today on my 3 different RPC mpcs and the Tenney Jazzmaster,

I bought and tried the MJ lig. I used it for 3 days on my Jazzmasters and learned to despise it. Sucked all the life out of what I like the Jazzmaster for. Right back to the old Selmer 2 screw and all is well.
    "there are two means of refuge from the misery of life-music and cats," Dr. Albert Schweitzer

SOTW Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I bought and tried the MJ lig. I used it for 3 days on my Jazzmasters and learned to despise it. Sucked all the life out of what I like the Jazzmaster for. Right back to the old Selmer 2 screw and all is well.
    LOL, well that just goes to show.... Maybe I'll come to the same conclusion eventually, but right now the MJ seems a bit better than the 2-screw lig I was using. Time will tell as always.

Distinguished SOTW member daigle65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saxguy9345 View Post
    .....The two wooden rods ARE NOT parallel on the MJ lig and it bothers the hell out of me... until I start playing
    They're supposed to be that way.
    Marc actually has a patent for those unparalleled rods.
    " M'enfin ! " ....Gaston Lagaffe

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

Well I was excited to see George Garzone and Arnie Krakowsky using these . 2 top tenormen up here in Boston. You may have heard of them.....
    George commented that his reeds even seemed to last longer and I actually concur. But what do I know .
    Lance Bryant ( another great player) and myself ( noboby special) use the Marc Jean lig on TK Acoustimers and we were knocked out.

Forum Contributor 2013

I use them on both my TK handcraft & TK London model...I was using a selmer 404 but the MJ lig really opens up the sound and for me they work the best...

I use them on alto and recently on my D.Guardala Studio tenor. They work like a dream with the Guardala. The tone is richer and the low register speaks better. Noticeable difference with the selmer 404.
    http://cern.ch/veym
    Conn 10M 1942 & Tenor Selmer MK VI 1968 - 10mfan Robusto 8 / Alto Selmer Ref54 Hummingbird - Beechler Bellite 7 / Soprano Yamaha yss475 - Bari Hawk 7

I use the Marc Jean on my TM Early Babbitt Otto Link tenor mouthpiece. I have been really impressed with the amount of control I feel I get with it. I just play on LaVoz Med - Med Hard reeds, but I feel like the lower end of my horn is more easily sustainable at softer volume levels with the Marc Jean than with my FL Ultimate. I like the FL, but the Marc Jean has become my main ligature. Before I got the lig from Marc I was on the fence as to whether or not I really believed that it could change much - but it's been one less thing I have to think about or be concerned with. I'm planning to get one for alto too. I first heard about them on Steve Neff's website. I would highly recommend them to anyone who is really concerned with sound and ease of play.

Forum Contributor 2012

Well, I bought one for a tenor hr mpc., Jan. 29/12, impressed by the raving reviews on here.

Marc said it would ship in two days.
    I got it 2 1/2 weeks later, shipping between us takes four days.
    I live approx 300 mi. away, and in the same country.

It was waaaay too small, couldn't even take the screws. Sent it back. He received it in four days.
    He said he would send a few to try, and I could send back those that I did not want.

Well, here it is Mar16/12, still no ligs. More excuses. A good month and 1/2 since payment.

Be prepared for a huge possible cluster ****.
    He raised his prices, is slow to respond to emails, and obviously needs help doing the one man operation.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

Forum Contributor 2011

I have a new model I just got from Marc. It's for a metal link. He sent me one a few years ago but I wasn't too crazy about it because it tightened from the top with a know like a link ligature. The problem was that there was no give or take. You just tightened it and then it would stop and you couldn't turn the knob anymore. His new metal link ligature is shaped like a link and has two screws on top that tighten like his hard rubber version. I have to play it some more but so far I really like the response of it.

I don't recall how long ago your review of the ligature was for HR tenor pieces, Steve (Nefertiti) but how are the wooden stick rails holding up?

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    I don't recall how long ago your review of the ligature was for HR tenor pieces, Steve (Nefertiti) but how are the wooden stick rails holding up?
    Great, no problem at all. I was worried when I got it that there might be some compression to the wood but they look great. I think it's been a couple years now maybe?

I think Marc said that he gets the wood from the rails from an ancient Inca temple that he found while exploring in South America. Scientists believe that the wood might have been given to the Inca's by visitors from another planet. It is impervious to fire and can withstand any amount of pressure put on it. It's resonant properties are beyond compare.

I ordered mine a couple of years ago and the wood rails are doing fine. I could tell a difference right away. The lig gets used every day on my tenor piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12