P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marc jean Lig

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

Default Marc jean Lig

Man the Marc Jean is an amazing lig. I got with my teacher( great player) last night who uses an Acoustimer , I'm on a Reso. He has the FL lig so I tell him to try the Marc Jean. He flipped . I noticed an immediate difference. He did too.

SO... I try the FL , muffled compared to the Marc Jean , he had me play for him and he played for me. Absolutely improves sound, resonance . He's ordering one . It's just no comparison.
    I never messed much with ligs and always had a 2 screw style standard. I'm a believer and so is he. I know there are big opinions all over here on this but I experienced it first hand . Marc Jean lig on an acoustimer style Klum mp is Fantastic!!! That much I'll testify to.

I know there are lots of experts here who say ligs do not matter and only the player notices a difference blah, blah , yada yada . BUT This get together proved how much difference a lig can make . The look on my teachers face when he switched from the FL lig to the Marc Jean was priceless. When I put on the FL it was like the reed died , he was listening to me and he said WOW , I say I know it .... what a change. So for all the skeptics we were not drinking we weren't high, we didn't drink any Kool aid , we simply did a side by side test and the Marc Jean is a terrifc ligature and absolutely improves resonance , volume.

Flame on know it alls

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Default Re: Marc jean Lig

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cesati View Post
    Flame on know it alls
    Thanks for the sympathetic invitation to take part in this thread.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cesati View Post
    Flame on know it alls
    The Marc Jean is a flaming good ligature!

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

I agree. I did a review of a mouthpiece a few months ago. When I first got the mouthpiece it was amazing. Big, huge sound. I went to do the recording for the review and could not get a good sound out of it. I almost gave up but then I remembered that the first day I was using the Marc Jean lig on it. I put it on and sure enough the mouthpiece came to life and played great again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

Thanks warp X , I'm going to kick back and have some beers tonight and wait for the people to comment.

The Marc Jean ligs sure opened up the sound on my Lamberson, and they are individually and beautifully made by a great craftsman . They don't move, like FL's, when you "tune " either !

My teacher also tried one, and said the same

"If the cap fits ........................................."

Blowhard2
    How much Truth can this World stand? - Mose Allison:
    Borgani Pearl Silver Jubilee Tenor Ser No 195xxJ, or MK7 with Mauriat "MkVI" neck . Lamberson / M7/L7/J8 Marc Jean Ligs - RPC Blue 105R, - Fiberreed M

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Blowhard2 View Post
    The Marc Jean ligs sure opened up the sound on my Lamberson, and they are individually and beautifully made by a great craftsman . They don't move, like FL's, when you "tune " either !

My teacher also tried one, and said the same

"If the cap fits ........................................."

Blowhard2
    They also don't scratch and leave marks on the mouthpiece.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

SOTW Columnist

Oh man, now I'm really curious. I was one of those who tried a lot of ligs and finally settled back on a standard 2-screw lig with the observation that the only important thing about a lig is that it fit properly. But I still have an open mind (or maybe I'm just a sucker for any potential improvement in my set-up, lol). But I'm tending to believe you guys, at least to the point I now want one of these things.

One question, does anyone in the States carry them or do you just order direct?

Forum Contributor 2014

[QUOTE=JL;1692138]Oh man, now I'm really curious.
    But I still have an open mind (or maybe I'm just a sucker for any potential improvement in my set-up, lol). But I'm tending to believe you guys, at least to the point I now want one of these things.

Yes, this is the SOTW effect taking hold

I e-mailed him directly, told him what piece I wanted it for, was quoted a price, paid via paypal & had it within a week. That was a year or so ago, don't know if its different now.

I had the same experience when I recently tried these ligs with Ted Klum's mouthpiece at the Montreal Sax Expo. These ligatures really make a difference! They really let you get the full potential of the reed and mouthpiece. Plus Marc has really put a lot of thought into the design - there are strips of cork that grip the top of the mouthpiece without scratching, which is such a simple solution to a common problem but one I'd never seen before. Plus, they are aesthetically very pretty - not weird or flashy looking like some ligs, but simple and elegant.

I'm buying one for my alto for sure.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

[QUOTE=saxguy1953;1692160]
    Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    I e-mailed him directly, told him what piece I wanted it for, was quoted a price, paid via paypal & had it within a week. That was a year or so ago, don't know if its different now.
    It still works basically the same way, although I don't know about current waiting time.

P.S. And I am happy to celebrate my 2000th post with a constructive small piece of information for a fellow SOTW member
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Forum Contributor 2008

One question, does anyone in the States carry them or do you just order direct?
    He does not have US resellers. He has one or 2 in Canada but it would be cheaper to get it from him.
    Not sure about his capacity to keep up with orders because he has many and, this I know for sure because I have known him since long, he indeed makes and tests each single unit.

SOTW Columnist

Ok, thanks guys (I think). I'll probably order one.

I've heard a lot of good things about these, I might have to take a trip down to Montreal and check them out!

Any difference between the nickel, silver and gold plating
    Mistakes don't cost anything, just time and money.

[QUOTE=saxguy1953;1692160]
    Similar to my experience - Marc was not familair with the dimensions of a small bodied, Tenor M series Lamberson piece I bought , so I measured the taper diameters and distances with a digital vernier, sent them to him, with a sketch, by E mail, and he made a special which was dispatched to UK in a reasoablke time ( the plating took a while, I believe ) .

Great service from a great craftsman, who makes a great product, and, as others have remarked , the ligs are esthetically pleasing too!

Blowhatrd2
    How much Truth can this World stand? - Mose Allison:
    Borgani Pearl Silver Jubilee Tenor Ser No 195xxJ, or MK7 with Mauriat "MkVI" neck . Lamberson / M7/L7/J8 Marc Jean Ligs - RPC Blue 105R, - Fiberreed M

Distinguished SOTW member daigle65's Avatar

Marc is very proud of his ligature, it's his baby. He even made the soldering tool himself out of a door hinge.
    He's very conscientious about his work and always looking to improve. Last time I was at his shop, he was working on a new one screw soprano model.
    " M'enfin ! " ....Gaston Lagaffe

I agree 100% with Mike. I bought a FL Ultimate about 5 years ago when they were being hyped up on this very forum, and was happy with the response it gave me. The Marc Jean I just got to pair with my Acoustimax achieved that ... times a billion. Granted I've never played another top tighening lig with some form of lower pressure plate, but the difference I noticed on my trusty old Meyer G was night and day. I am of the school that feels a lig does not directly change your sound, but this MJ lig seats the reed perfectly on the mpc, and the wood rods that hold the reed open the response significantly. It's like the mpc I've come to know and love got an instant tune up. I'm kinda glad I ordered the Acoustimax before I tried this lig... it might've made me shed on the Meyer another month or two before taking the plunge! Glad I didn't lol I love this acoustimax and it's potential.

The two wooden rods ARE NOT parallel on the MJ lig and it bothers the hell out of me... until I start playing
    Yanagisawa A992 -- Selmer S80 C* / Ted Klum Acoustimax C / Meyer G6
    Marc Jean lig unlaquored -- Vandoren Blue 3, ZZ 3, Java 2 1/2, Roberto's Winds 2 1/2 soft
    "The saxophone is the easiest instrument to play... badly"

SOTW Columnist

Ok, I received the MJ lig in the mail today. Very fast service, since I ordered it just a week ago. As I said in my earlier post, I've been using a standard 2-screw lig which fits my mpc very well and I've been happy with it. I've also played several fancy ligs including a FL, Optimum, various rovners, etc. I've never noticed any significant differences, except the 2-screw fit best and maybe gave a slightly better response.

Now, I have to say after just the first trial today on my 3 different RPC mpcs and the Tenney Jazzmaster, this MJ lig is noticeably better than any of the others. Not a HUGE difference, but a bit better response and a more resonant feel (which is actually a big thing to me, even if it's subtle). I went back and forth between the standard 2-screw (my previous favorite lig) and the MJ, using the same reed, and on all 4 of those mpcs I noticed the same subtle improvement in response. I really have no idea if the sound or tone would seem different to someone listening, but the feel alone is enough to convince me this is a superior lig. I do detect a slightly more 'open' or resonant sound that may or may not be in my head. Not brighter, but a bit bigger maybe. And once I got it seated in and adjusted I really liked how it fit and how nice and snug it holds the reed. It's also well-made, looks nice, and I appreciate the simplicity of the design, especially since it works.

I'll need a few more days (and I have 3 gigs this weekend to really test it out) to be sure, but my first impression is very positive. I can honestly say this is the first time I've noticed a real difference in new lig. Yes, it's subtle, but it's there for sure.

these are great ligs but I ordered one for my berg larsen bari that not only was too small, but also isn't soldered together completely straight and really doesn't work at all...so the lesson learned is make sure marc jean understands exactly what mouthpiece you have or it'll cost you $80. the language barrier makes ordering very difficult. would be nice if he made a bunch and had a US distributor.

SOTW Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by silverselmer View Post
    ...so the lesson learned is make sure marc jean understands exactly what mouthpiece you have or it'll cost you $80. .
    I suspect you could let him know and he'd exchange it for one that does fit. I know that's what I'd do rather than eat the $80 (for some reason the one I bought was $65--it's brass--maybe you got the silver-plated one?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast