Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Evette Schaeffer Saxophones

If anyone wants to know the years their saxophones were mad please give me your serial numbers and user names and I can let you know when I get them in order.

Default Re: Evette Schaeffer Saxophones

Hi, I have a model 13302 Evette Schaeffer and would like to know what year it was made

Quote Originally Posted by Saxperson View Post
    If anyone wants to know the years their saxophones were mad please give me your serial numbers and user names and I can let you know when I get them in order.
    I have an Evette-Schaeffer tenor sax with only 4 numbers for a serial#. What year was it made? On the bell it says, "Evette-Schaeffer Paris France".

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar

I have an ES Tenor..no stamp France or Italy. Very strong sound for R&B work on this Tenor, it's my Bar horn when I can't take my VI..curious on the date built too..I will post the serial ASAP.

Funny coincidence ..in '57 I got my first chance to play Tenor. Freshman in High School, They gave me a brand new MK VI to play.
    Well of course at the timre I certainly had no idea what I held in my hands.
    Fast forward 2 yrs, they gave it to another kid..my mom had to get me a horn as I was 15 and didn't have a dime..trip to the local music store and I came home with a guess what...! Yeah looked like the same one I got now....

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009 Keith Ridenhour's Avatar

I picked up an Everette Shaffer Master Alto as a back up for my YAS 62. And I was surprised. I expected a dark, stuffy tone but it really can get fat with push. I need to get it repaired and playable but I hope to have maybe a better horn than my Yamaha for around 4bills. Serial is 69600 . Has a nice , complex, ballsy tone. I'm grateful. K
    Teaching and performing since 1980. My best K .

My band is Sonoma Soul , see it on my Ksaxman.com website
    Bands I gig with are http://www.myspace.com/jamijamisonband,www.thewhiskeythieves.com/,Sue Albano, The Joe Chaplain Band, BackTrax (60 70s coverband), and my webpage is http://ksaxman.com/

Mine's 22854, a Buffet-Crampon Evette and Schaeffer satin gold-plated soprano sold through Carl Fisher. Thanks for the info.

Kenneth
    Charlie Parker, "My clock doesn't work - I don't come on time!"~~~
    Formerly known as Conn1933

Well I got around to the serial finally, it's a tenor marked #18844. No country of origin stamp either. This horn really impresses me with the big sound (Buffet??) it gets. The closest comparison for me would be an older Buescher. Reminds me of a TH&C I once had... Way different sound color than my VI. Of course the action is nothing to write home about, but it doesn't get in the way too much once you're used to the horn. This ES is a major bar honker for sure. Best cheapest back up tenor I ever had.

I recently 'Ohauled my silver VI tenor and it's looking brand new again, anyway my VI is not going to back to the bars anytime soon. Keith, the alto you got is likely a good horn too, curious to know how it works out.

Are the Evette Buffet saxophones that have Paris engraved on the bell pro saxophones? Blessings. Jerry

I have an Evette Schaeffer Buffet Paris tenor sax with serial #16271. Case seems leather black cover and also says Buffet Paris. Carl Fischer paper inside for registration.
    Also has a cork grease marked Buffet Crampon inside. Any idea when made, worth etc. Assuming this is student type.
    Thanks,
    Tom Rogers

Got a baritone 7028 what do you think?

Smile Re: Evette Schaeffer Saxophones

Quote Originally Posted by Saxperson View Post
    HI, I'm Tsingy, I've just got one from ebay, the guy said that he had it for about 20 years, an alto Evette "Buffet Crampon" batch no. 24,731. Thank you for any information concerning this sax.

Hi,
    I've got an Evette Schaeffer - no country mark or anything else, except the serial # =36,7XX. It's all either a shiny silver plate or chrome....polishes out like an old car bumper. I had another ES and customized and sold it (a hot horn), so I expect a lot from this also. However, it's missing a right palm key and post, so it may be a bear finding a replacement - especially in silver/chrome/whatever....I'll take anything that looks close!...Another sax lamp??

Albany, NY .. actually Chatham, NY ... but 'where is that??"

Just curious .... I see a lot of questions but no answers ... I dont own an ES but had some curiosity about it ...were the questions answered by PM?
    Tenor ..1973 Selmer Mark VI #211xxx .... RPC .115B ... Vandoren M/O lig ...
    Alto ...Yanagisawa A991 #320XXX....RPC .090B ... Vandoren M/O lig ....
    Sop.... CB Vintage Reborn .... RPC .080...... Brancher gold Lig ....

Distinguished SOTW Member

From my understanding, when you say Evette Schaeffer saxophones, you can be talking about at least four different varieties:

1) Those very vintage early horns made by the company that would become Buffet Crampon from ca. 1890 through "the teens" (20th century). They usually have ornate script engraving on the bells.

2) Horns from the '20s with less ornate engraving

3) ES "Master" models from the 1950s (and '60s?) that are Buffet-made and almost identical to SDAs. These have brass keys.

4) ES "Master" models that are Keilwerth-made with tell-tale Keilwerth nickel keywork.

But I said "from my understanding" because the Evette Schaeffer history seems to be very multi-faceted and complex, with more than one company and numerous stencils involved.

With that said, is this a Keilwerth-made horn (#4 above):

http://www.music-oldtimer.com/de/ins...buffet-crampon

The ad says it's "Paris-made" but there's a ES Master alto on Junkdude of the same vintage and appearance that he says was made by JK. And the keywork looks very JK to me.

Anyone have any experience with these JK-made "ES" sops? And if so, how do you rate them? Are they kind of clanky, "studenty," etc.?

Evette Schaeffer Master Baritone
    Serial #608XX
    MontyMac

Evette Schaeffer Alto, serial # is 35261. LowThudd

I'm playing a gig at a community centre and there's a tenor on the wall with serial of 19634. Would it be worth inquiringabout?
    Reference 54 alto-Phil-Tone
    Mark VI tenor- L7* Lamberson
    http://shanestatz.com

Quote Originally Posted by ztats View Post
    I'm playing a gig at a community centre and there's a tenor on the wall with serial of 19634. Would it be worth inquiringabout?
    I'm curious now ztats. Did you happen to get any pictures of the Tenor while you were at the Gig? I haven't seen an ES Master (Keilwerth stencil) Tenor on the web yet.
    Grassi Bb Baritone Jade, Grassi Low A Baritone
    A. Cassini Tenor, La Monte Superior Tenor (Grassi Stencils)
    Grassi Alto Jade, Grassi Alto Stripped: mpcs ALL Winston & Isaacs Ebony

I have a two tone--light lacquer with nickel keys E and S tenor sax with the serial number 15xxx.
    Could you tell me who made the horn and how old it is? Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast