Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Default Most insulting pay offer to play

Just got offered a gig, three hours, for get this: $30.00 and all the Lebanese food I can eat.

I think I'll pass.
    My actions are my only true possession they are the ground on which I stand. Thich Nhat Hahn

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: Most insulting pay offer to play

Quote Originally Posted by vonbraig View Post
    30.00 and all the Lebanese food I can eat.
    That's almost something I'd do to teach a club owner a lesson. Ever see Man v. Food on the Travel Channel???

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

2 rehearsals and a gig, all in a town 70 miles away. $50 total.

Distinguished SOTW Member. eugeneherman's Avatar

I could insult you 'way' better... You gotta drive to pickup the drummer and take him home and his wife needs some groceries!
    'It's ain't about the notes on the page, it's about the notes on the stage!'

Ha I used to pick up a great guitar player but of course he was legally BLIND!
    My actions are my only true possession they are the ground on which I stand. Thich Nhat Hahn

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Just got offered a gig, three hours, for get this: $30.00 and all the Lebanese food I can eat.

I think I'll pass.
    In '85 at a club we played, we got $50 a man, plus gratis scotch & beer all night
    every Thurs. night, for a year and a half.

What a great gig.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

I was approached for a trio gig for a theatre company fundraiser. When payment was introduced into the conversation she said, "It doesn't pay - Don't you want to support the arts?"

Surely that was the starting point for the haggle......how about a couple of camels as well
    He who laughs last....thinks slowest

Lebanese food is great. I would've taken the gig.

Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member Swampcabbage's Avatar

My favorite is when they tell you it's good "exposure." Don't they know that people can die from exposure? That's like saying - hey, we can't pay you but we might give you ebola!

Our band got $50 each and free beer (90's) to play a gig in a small bar in the city.(Sydney). One night the place was full of suits, and the bar manager told us to go and wait in the corner and drink his free beer until the suits left. They never left the pub...we got smashed...and he gave us our $50 each as we stumbled out the door. (....those were the daze....)

Forum Contributor 2014

Three cans of Red Stripe recently. When I got off stage all the free beer had been drunk by our hangers on so I had to pay three and a half quid for a small bottle of Sol.

Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul Face Ache Mike's Avatar

Band leader: "They`ll discuss it at the next committee meeting and let us know how much we`re worth".... and that was after the gig.

Forum Contributor 2014

In college, I spent a week on the road over break with a 'up and coming' band. The deal was that all the money from the mini-tour would be used to pay off the new CD BUT we would be provided with food and places to sleep. Once I realized that 'places to sleep' meant in the van my dreams of stardom faded.

THEN the lead singer complained that I ate to much.

Tenor - '61 Mark VI w/Tenney Slant Tone Edge 7
    Altos - '66 Mark VI w/Meyer 6M/Caravan
    Soprano - JDS (No Name from Mystery Country) w/Tenney Tone Edge 6
    Sopranino - Allora w/Pillinger Large Profile
    Clarinet - '68 Buffet R13 w/B45

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

I once got asked to play in a local pub for free. I suspect this happens quite a lot with new bands looking to make a name on the circuit, but the band I was in at the time was relatively well-known locally - but the leader reckoned the pub was a noted venue and it would be worth 'getting an in'.

So we turned up and did a couple of sets - and brought our followers with us.
    The place was packed to the gills. At one point in the evening I spotted one of the bartenders having trouble getting the till drawer to close...it was so stuffed up with notes.
    At half time the bari player got a round of drinks in, which arrived just before we were counted in for the second set...so he had no time to pay.
    At the end of the gig the landlord approached him and asked for the money for the round.

We were speechless.
    To put it in some kind of perspective, the pub was so busy that getting to the loo was practically impossible (Mind yer back mate, s'cuse me, coming through, can I just squeeze through...) and most of us settled for 'holding it in'.
    The guy was paid, with particularly bad grace, and I swore I'd never play the venue again...and I haven't.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

Forum Contributor 2014

yeah, that happens quite a bit. sometimes when you're from around the neighbourhood it only gets worse. A local jazzclub from the town where one of my band members lived offered a bus ticket and a meal.
    And that was a band which played on quite a big festival ( the Hague jazz) a month later...for normal wages.

Where I don't have to boil the water before I drink it..

We were invited to play at musicians' benefit FOR FREE in '79 or so. Band members were expected to pay the $10.00 admission fee.

Buh-bye.
    The absolute real reason I continue is the free shrimp at the cocktail hour. It's the little things.--- Rich Maraday

"...but it's for a good cause..."

"...We're a non-profit organization..."

I'm not.
    Yes, I'm one of those people who bought a TaiShan Bari. For what it is and what I'll use it for, it's perfect.

Distinguished SOTW Member nachoman's Avatar

... You'll be providing the PA (.....and will be expected to man the desk for about 5 other bands, let a bunch over overexcited and loud kids use/abuse your amps and drum kit and end the night having to derig the enitre show....)
    Trevor James RAW Tenor, Theo Wanne Amma & Rico Plasticovers
    Bauhaus curved soprano, Theo Wanne Gaia & La Voz
    Charlie Blacklock Musical Saw

Distinguished SOTW Member rsclosson's Avatar

I once got called and asked to play Flamenco guitar for a restaraunt that was having a wine tasting featuring wines from Spain. He told me I could have a bottle of wine if I played. I told him I would not be available that evening. He said, "I haven't even told you the date!" Then he said he was having a hard time finding someone to play. I wonder why...
    1955 Olds Opera Tenor (Buffet Dynaction
    Lamberson J7 Vintage Brass Selmer Ligature
    Rico Orange 3 (Reedgeeked) or Fibracell Med Soft

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast