P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made a curved soprano sax stand today!

Default I made a curved soprano sax stand today!

I was unable to find a stand for my curved soprano. So I bought an alto stand and modified it.

I bought an On-Stage Stands double sax stand from musiciansfriend for $30. It's the SXS7201B.

I drilled another hole in the vertical piece, a few inches higher than the other two, for the bottom bell support. Then I used a small grinding bit on a Dremel in a rather weak attempt to make the round hole into a square hole. It's not pretty, but it holds the square-headed bolt just fine.

Next, I narrowed the top bell support, using a vise. I took the end plugs off to expose the small-diameter metal rod inside. The neoprene sleeve is glued together, so I just slid it back a little. I carefully put the two ends of the curved piece into the jaws of a bench vise and carefully closed the jaws a little. I kept measuring the vise opening, and after every half inch I'd undo it and see how it fit the soprano bell.

I decided to use the vise technique on the lower bell support, too, although it probably wasn't necessary.

Now I have a perfect double sax stand for a curved soprano and an alto or tenor. Since I have an on-stage stands single sax stand (an SXS7101B), I can use the interchangeable parts to create various combinations. The stock pieces are adjustable for tenor or alto, but my new custom-bent piece will never fit an alto or larger bell again.

BTW, there's an attachment from on-stage stands that makes it into a Bari stand. It's the SXSA7201B.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: I made a curved soprano sax stand today!

Can you post a photo with and without the saxophone on it? DAVE
    Dave

My dad did that about a year ago. He said it was easy, the hardest part is filing the body support square from the drilled hole.

Quote Originally Posted by oddtodd View Post
    BTW, there's an attachment from on-stage stands that makes it into a Bari stand. It's the SXSA7201B.

That thing scares me--heartbreak waiting to happen. I'd love to see some photos of your work though.

I did something very similar for my curved sop a few years ago. It works great!

After drilling the round hole in an appropriate place (hold the soprano up and figure it out), square it out (on the sax side only) enough so that the bottom bell support lands in a good place. (The yellow tape is there only as a reminder to my son so that he doesn't end up at a gig with the wrong piece in his stand, since we have a single stand also.)

Remove the end caps, push back the neoprene sleeve, and put it in a vise. Tighten a little at a time, measuring against the soprano bell after each half inch or so.

The finished product, with a Mark VI tenor, a Venus soprano, and a flute. Although it looks huge, the footprint of the base isn't much larger than the standard tripod of the single stand.

Thanks. DAVE
    Dave

Forum Contributor 2014 patmiller's Avatar

So did I!

I followed pretty much the same technique apart from a few differences. First I just put one arm on the garage floor and tapped the other with a hammer until I got the right shape. Second I trimmed the length of the arms with my bolt cutters. Finally, I didn't bother squaring the hole. I just drilled a hole slightly smaller than the square bolt and then tapped the bolt into place with the hammer.

Sweet as a nut!
    Pleasing everyone is impossible; pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Of course you all know curved sopranos were never meant for doubling.
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

K&M do them. My Yani loves it.
    http://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?info=186
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

A few years ago, I came across a curved soprano stand sold by Myatt in the U.K. It is, I suspect, a modified guitar stand but regardless, it works great for my curved soprano, keeping it low to the floor, and the stand collapses into a pretty compact package. I don't know if they are still available. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

If they're any good, they probably aren't
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

Distinguished SOTW Member Honeyboy's Avatar

I use my Hercules stand. I push the bottom support all the way up, fold it flat against the upright arm and the bell fits quite well in its holder. I can use this stand for tenor, alto and soprano.
    11th Commandment: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's axe.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2007 Morry's Avatar

I don't currently have a curvy, but I'm holding on to this stand I bought from Myatt, I think, quite a while back. It's a Gig brand, and is built like a tank. Is this what yours is like Dave?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JK SX90R Gold Lacquer over Nickel Alto
    JK SX90R Clear Lacquer Tenor

Current band:
    www.horndogsband.com
    www.facebook.com/horndogsband
    www.myspace.com/horndogsband

Take the Way-Back Machine to the 80's:
    www.myspace.com/cornerstonebandmusic

That's it, Morry. DAVE
    Dave

I took the Hercules Stand and put some foam pipe insulation on the yoke with the lower support flipped up for my Steve Goodson curved Sop. Pull the insulation off and you're back to a tenor/alto stand.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I have several Hercules and decided to make one for curved soprano from an alto-tenor one. Just drilled another hole where I placed the lower support made the U shaped support narrower and it works fine it offers a good portable solution, at home I have a curved soprano K&M stand.

Quote Originally Posted by saxcracker View Post
    I took the Hercules Stand and put some foam pipe insulation on the yoke with the lower support flipped up for my Steve Goodson curved Sop. Pull the insulation off and you're back to a tenor/alto stand.
    Genius! I'd love to see a picture of that, but I guess I'll figure it out when my Venus soprano arrives. I already have the Hercules alto stand and have never used it.

I was wrong. I've got my Venus curved soprano now, but I still don't see how I'd put it on the Hercules stand.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

you need to modify it, which means placing the bell rest higher up ( you need to make a hole further up the supporting bar and move the support) and push the top bell-rim support tighter together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast