Antigua Winds

Default Curved Soprano= Yanagisawa SC991 or Phil Barone Curved Soprano

Which one do you recommend for an Alto and Tenor player. A phil Barone Curved soprano or a Yanagisawa SC991? i know the price is slightly different but price is not everything For the finish on the Phil Barone i am kinda thinking Antique Bronze. So an Antique Bronze Curved Phil Barone Soprano Sax vs A Yanagisawa SC991 Curved Soprano. What are your guys thoughts?

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

Default Re: Curved Soprano= Yanagisawa SC991 or Phil Barone Curved Soprano

Try em both and buy the one you like
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Forum Contributor 2007 madgrocer's Avatar

yeah Luke, Jazzaferri is right, I think you gotta try both and see what works for you. Here's what I can tell you about the Barone, as I just bought one... exactly the one you are talking about. The finish is gorgeous, and the horn is fantastic. Intonation is incredible up and down the horn, the low end is huge, the high end is sweet. I love mine, and I play a Yani Alto and Tenor. I had not tried the Barone soprano before I ordered it..but, I had tried a Barone Tenor which was outstanding, and led me to deciding to try the Soprano, as I wanted to upgrade my piece of tin soprano with a better horn, but didn't want to shell out the bucks for another Yani, especially for a horn that is more of a novelty to me than anything. I don't think you can rely on other peoples opinions as to what will work for you.. all I will say is that Phil is GREAT to deal with, and his horns are excellent quality, look, feel and sound. Another part of the success at least for me, is the Barone mouthpiece which is a perfect match for the horn. It always gives you quite a bonus for the price he charges for his horns.
    Excuses only explain poor performance, they don't condone it...
    Dean
    shirazjazz.com

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

have you considered other models?...there are others on the market!.once again bauhaus do a curved sop, does that palo tung deal in the states for bauhaus?..
    bs gunning

Quote Originally Posted by LukeAndHisSax View Post
    ... Antique Bronze Curved Phil Barone Soprano Sax vs A Yanagisawa SC991 Curved Soprano. What are your guys thoughts?
    Haven't played the Barone, but am very pleased with my SC992, which should be quite similar to the SC991. You can't go wrong with that one...

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

TYhe 991 SC is a similar price to a Rampone Saxello. Depending on the sound you want you should put that one on your list. My next sop is going to be the R & C Saxello for sure
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

You know, I had the very rewarding experience of being able to try a whole bunch of sopranos (straight and curved) recently, back to back, and I tried three different curved horns - Yanigasawa 991 and 992, and the curved P. Mauriat horn. Have not had an opportunity to try a Barone yet, but my thoughts on the three I did try are as follows:

While I found the overall tone of the Yani horns to be overall more brilliant and resonant (so much so on the 991 that it almost felt like the instrument was jumping around and vibrating in my hands), I found the intonation to be very difficult to control, more so than most straight horns I've played. The Mauriat, for me, had much better intonation, and a slightly more "compact" sound. I also found it difficult to get the very high end of the natural range of the instrument (high E,F,F#) to speak clearly on the Yanigasawa horns, while the Mauriat sang up there.

Ergonomics-wise, the Yani's took it hands-down. The positioning of the L/R palm keys and especially pinky clusters on the Mauriat was positively antidiluvian compared to the modern, slick feel of the Yanigasawas.

Hope this helps.

Side note, unrelated to curved horns, but...I also tried a Selmer Series III straight soprano. All I can say is that I don't know how they get away with charging the prices they do for those horns. No WAY was it worth a $2000 premium over the Yani's, or even more over the Mauriat and Cannonball Tilt (which I also tried).

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012 dexdex's Avatar

One aspect the taiwanese still have to demonstrate is their stability over time. Yanagisawa is doing a great job: my curvy is from 1994, and went through a max of 2 hours of tech, to change 2 sticky pads plus small ajustements. C'est tout !
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I personally find the position of the neck (more curved) and the keys in the most modern curved Yanagisawas (older ones don't have that) better than all other curved sopranos on the market including several Taiwanese made sopranos (of which Barone is one).

The only exceptions are those Chinese copies of the Yanagisawa that are pretty much identical to the original to the point that I have even played a Mercury solid silver curved soprano (which is very expensive and then in so doing reaches the price range of a non solid silver Yanagisawa).

I have bought a Bauhaus Walstein bronze and I am happy.