Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bill Holloman

8K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  harthenry 
#1 ·
Watch this video. Its all great, the guitarist, who is absolutely amazing is late Danny Gatton, but just skip to 2:00 min. if you just want to hear the sax - its bloody awful!

#5 ·
Bill and I played in the Cincinnati Conservatory Jazz Ens. together for about 4 years in the late '70s. What an amazing talent! He blew all of us away and we were not trash players. I went on to play lead alto for Buddy Morrow's Tommy Dorsey band and several others went out with Basie. We all admired Bill - chops to spare and then some.

#14 ·
I had the great fortune playing in a Big Band in Dayton, OH in the late '70s early '80s with Bill called Dynasty. I was a few year younger than he, however, he was a great mentor and taught me many things regarding not only how to play the sax well, but how to be a great muscian. I thought Bill was awesome in the 80's when I knew him, however, when I talked to him in the 90's he said he was even better. Now it is the 10's and he continues to amaze me.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting, Lang! Bill was really something. Danny used to live just accross the Potomac River in Southern Maryland and we all considered him a "home boy". We were all just blown away at his passing. I saw him at the Warner Theatre in D. C. with his band "Fun House".

#8 ·
Awful? He's in total control, and spot on. Bad hair for sure.

#11 ·
I saw that vid years back and to me that solo is far from bloody awful, I would kill to have chops like that. Just his articulations alone are something let alone the altissimo stuff he is pulling off. Great player IMO.
Also Danny Gatton, one of the unsung heros and greats of the guitar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.