Antigua Winds

Default Cleaning plastic clarinet bodies

How do you clean all the nooks, crannies, and creases when overhauling a plastic clarinet? Especially in the tone hole faces. I soak them in warm soapy water and then brush, but when it's dry I still have gunk in the creases. I'm looking for new techinques and alternatives. Thanks!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Default Re: Cleaning plastic clarinet bodies

Ultrasonic works good, becuase you can use heat, its the heat thats needed to break down the grease. Before the ultrasonic, I used hot water / dawn / and a toothbrush, worked great, sometimes little bits left in tone hole chineys I used a cotton bud to get rid off
    Life is to short to get caught up in the truth, Relax and just let life go on by, move at your own pace and rhythm
    www.mirwa.com.au

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Oh the stuff I've used to clean plastic clarinets.
    Old toothbrushes, strips of washcloth/T-shirt/flannel, cotton balls, Q-Tips, pipe cleaners, sponge tipped eyeshadow applicators, bottle brushes that come with kitten bottles, rod and oil swab from my 20ga cleaning kit...

Putting a little bit of ammonia in the warm water and dish soap helps break down the 'greasies' quicker if you're hand washing the clarinet body/keys.
    I really like the long pipe cleaners you find in the craft section for getting the built up grunge out of the 'tubes' on the keys.
    Another thing I like is an old battery operated Crest Spin-brush. The one with the single circular head does a wonderful job on the tone hole faces.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Distiguished SOTW Tech

Quote Originally Posted by simso View Post
    Ultrasonic works good, becuase you can use heat, its the heat thats needed to break down the grease. Before the ultrasonic, I used hot water / dawn / and a toothbrush, worked great, sometimes little bits left in tone hole chineys I used a cotton bud to get rid off
    Ditto