P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Any other EM Winston Bari sax owners out there??

Default Any other EM Winston Bari sax owners out there??

I just picked one up about a month ago, my first time back on one in 20 years. Just wanted to get a feel for what setups people are using on these horns and any other info you'd like to provide based on your experience with a Winston Bari. Thanks!!

Default Re: Any other EM Winston Bari sax owners out there??

Hi, i'm thinking of buying a E.M Winston bari and i would like to know your thought's about it.

Regards
    Carlos

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

EM Winston quality is spotty at best! I have owned two "ProI" models in the past: A Silver Plated Soprano, and a Black Nickle Plated Alto. The soprano was good (in tune and sounded decent enough, owned it from 1994 to 2008, many gigs, lots of road time) but the Alto was horrendous! Would NOT stay regulated, had burrs on the inside of the sax, squeeky keys, horrible intonation. Just a waste of money. Bought it in 1996, sold it in (at a huge loss, with very little play time on it) 2001.

Curious, what was the determining factor in the purchase, has quality at all improved this brand?
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

I bought a used low A Winston bari from PM Woodwind a few of years ago. It plays well. I'm sure the shop set it up as best they could. I mainly play it at home for fun but I've taken it to church a few times.

My only complaint is that the middle C and B are flat when everything else is in tune. I use a Rico graftonite mouthpiece (I think it's a B5), but I've read that happens on a lot of baris. It's OK for passing tones but for longer tones you can use the side keys to help bring the pitch up.
    A few more bytes wasted by Dennis

Hey thanks for the feedback everyone! So far my experience with my Winston Bari has been great. I have 3 mpc that I use with it, including the Rico B5, yamaha 5c and a no named mpc that I'd like to post soon to see if someone recognizes it. I get a deep warm sound with the no name and can really shake walls down low. I paid $75 for some tech adjustments the 1st week I got it just to give it a once over. I have noticed the flat C and at times B as well mainly in the higher registry, but I have also known it to be common on a lot of bari's so I play on trying to make embouchure adjustments. I haven't played in over 20 years, and playing jazz for the 1st time so I'm sure a lot of it may be me.

Seems like most of the negative feedback I read on Winstons come from the sop models and alto's, which is why I created this thread. I've also read a lot of people mention that Winstons are solid horns, aside from either bad key placement and or bad key spring action. My only issue right now is that the tuning screws seem loose and I have to re adjust them after playing for certain lengths of time. It was a gift so I really can't complain.

I've had no luck at all trying to track the serial number. All phone numbers for EM Winston are not in service. Anyone know of a site or shop that may have Winston Serial # info? Thanks again!
    EM Winston Pro I Series Baritone sax
    Runyon 88, Yamaha 5c mpc's
    Rico #2.5's

Just an update here. This bari rocks in my opinion! The 1 issue I had with an adjustment screw down around the low F key coming out of place has been resolved using a bit of teflon tape on the thread of the screw. I played for a few hours over this past weekend and the screw has not moved! This seems to have also improved my ability to hit low A and other low notes on the spatula that I had some difficulty with prior. I used my Rico M5 on it and my girlfriend and I could not believe how clear the sound was, and how much it projected. So now that I feel confident in the horn staying adjusted, I'm registering for a local community band here on the Peninsula :-). Wish me luck!!
    EM Winston Pro I Series Baritone sax
    Runyon 88, Yamaha 5c mpc's
    Rico #2.5's

I know this is almost a year old but I want to vent for a min:

I own the same horn and have had a lot of problems. I have played several baris and I have never come across one as heavy as the Winston.

MOST of the notes are ok on intonation, but the B, C, and C# are horribly flat. No amount of side keys or coverings I have tried seem to help, I would love some input.

The front key is a little funky. It does not open enough, and when adjusted it will not close. I normally have to supplement the key with my palm.

Now this is the disclaimer; I played Bari through high school and my first year of college. Then switched to alto, almost completely, except my quartet where I played Bari. After school I bought a tenor and switched my focus to the brotherhood of B flat.

I just recently started using the Front key over the palms so the stuffy front E could just be my lack of experience with the horn.

I needed a Bari for a few gigs so I bought the Winston in a pinch. After the gigs dried up I stopped playing and the horn sat for a while (about a year). A spot in a band opened up so I started working my chops, I did some adjustments myself, cleaning, and oiling, but the problems seem to persist.

I will more than likely keep the horn until I can find a nice vintage Conn.

And also I am 99% sure that the Winston are a stencil horn; Made in China.

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

EM Winston I wouldn't even classify as "stencil". They are what I would call a "clone" (and a spotty one at that). Some are very good, and the bad ones are really bad! Some are made in China, some in Taiwan. I used to own a "bad" Winston alto, and a "good" Winston soprano. I played and gigged the Soprano from 1995 to 2008 or so, and sold (for half of what it cost new) it to it's 2nd owner, whom is now gigging on it. The Alto I had for 3 years, and unloaded it onto some poor student (for $300, taking a $1000 loss!).
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com