P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: My new Martin: a The Martin Tenor almost "new"!

Default My new Martin: a The Martin Tenor almost "new"!

I've bought a few weeks ago a The Martin tenor that seems in mint conditions and plays, oh boys if it does play! Compared with my other Martin, a Committee II, it has that tiny bit of added punch without loosing the typical Martin darkish sound.
    I have been told the lacquer is the original one, and by the look of the case (original too, and in mint conditions) it could be true. The engravings are gorgeous, and everything is smooth (apart from the Bb palm key, that need a bit of adjust). Only spot of an otherwise spotless instrument, the "hissing A syndrome" on A second octave, probably needs some pip vent trimming.

Serial Number is 204xxx, so it's a 1958-1959 old guy, but with an incredibly young look!

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Default Re: My new Martin: a The Martin Tenor almost "new"!

Far from mint, but very very nice!

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Very Nice Horn. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I owned one and they play very well with a beautiful tone.

Forum Contributor 2011 thadnoland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Far from mint, but very very nice!
    Ah, the varying definitions of "mint."

Nice horn, Andysax! Enjoy!

How much did you pay for it? Sorry for this direct question but I'm about to buy one (for 2400€ ...)

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Quote Originally Posted by hannibalekta View Post
    How much did you pay for it? Sorry for this direct question but I'm about to buy one (for 2400€ ...)
    That sounds like way too much (close to $3000.00 US). Check Ebay completed sales for a comparison.

I paid for it 1600EUR, not cheap as the horn isn't in truly mint contition (I agree with Pete here, I was too proudly optimistic...) but within the price range of these horns (Martins are undervalued in the vintage market, apart from rare specimens like a The Magna or a Music Man). The horn has a small unlaquered area under the bell rim (about 3x2 cm) with a nasty and deep scratch, but that does not affect the sound quality, which in my opinion is superb (warning, proud owner here!).

I am glad it already has one scratch, otherwise you might not want to play it to keep it mint!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

These may be the best tenors around. I guess prices in Europe are a bit high. I am selling a good relacquer with new Selmer type pads for $1,600US for comparison. I still like my Comm II though. These are just different horns. I feel the Comm III is more centered with a bit more focus whereas the II has a looser more bendable sound (need better words!). Whichever one you choose, you will have a killer low end that Selmer can't match.
    The saying was that a Martin was a "poor man's Selmer" but I think it should be that the Selmer is a "rich man's Martin".

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

Martins are terrible horns, terrible. Everyone immediately go back to playing Selmers. Please send your now-unwanted Martins and Conns to my attention in Indianapolis. I'll pay 30c on the dollar of what you paid, because I'm feeling generous.

I agree, MyMartinTenor, Martins are crap, that's why I love to play them: to blame the horn, and not the player.... :-)

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

ile chip in!...superb horns that have there own identify, anyone who has played them by and large would appreciate the sound!..its not a bad thing that they are cheaper" to buy than selmers etc!..it means you get a top quality horn.
    bs gunning

Had a friend try my 204xxx The Martin Tenor a few days ago. He is a teacher and professional player and was looking for a nice vintage horn for one of his aspiring students. His face lit up playing The Martin and the sound was amazing listening on the other end. I highly recommend you have someone play your The Martin Tenor in front of you to appreciate the sound from a different perspecitve. He AB'd with his 1930's Conn RTH 10m. His Conn was nice, loud and refined. The Martin was ballsy and in your face. I never was going to sell it to him but after hearing him play it I am definitely keeping this baby. It has the guts to be heard for that blues gig. I much prefer this over my King Silver Sonic when it comes to those types of gigs.

Distinguished SOTW Member rsclosson's Avatar

I have been thru a bunch of horns. Tried every major brand except Martin. Must...resist...GAS...

1955 Olds Opera Tenor (Buffet Dynaction
    Lamberson J7 Vintage Brass Selmer Ligature
    Rico Orange 3 (Reedgeeked) or Fibracell Med Soft

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson View Post
    I have been thru a bunch of horns. Tried every major brand except Martin. Must...resist...GAS...

You will be part of our cult eventually