P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Please help: Yamaha 875 ex stolen

Default Please help: Yamaha 875 ex stolen

Please help us find our Custom YAS 875 EX which was stolen from a practice room. The finish is Gold laquer. There were three mouthpieces inside the case: Rousseau NC3, Rousseau NC4, and Claude Lakey 5*3. This horn belongs to a college student studying saxophone!

Default Re: Please help: Yamaha 875 ex stolen

Best of luck to you. The same thing happened to me my freshman year. Make sure that you report it to the police. Mine was found 2 months later. And, everything was still with it too. So, it does work out sometimes. Again I say, best of luck.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Nina: Sorry for the crime, but realize this forum is read around the world. It may help if you provided more detail . . . you know, the who-what-when-where-how-why of crime reporting. DAVE
    Dave

Forum Contributor 2011 thadnoland's Avatar

Be sure to gather all known info on the horn to report to the local authorities and contact all the area pawn shops.

It just might be covered under homeowner's insurance.

I just have to say, let this be a lesson to everyone reading. One should never leave their instrument alone, if even for a minute. That is just like asking for it to be stolen.

I accidentally left my tenor in the hallway outside the classroom while taking an exam the other day. I suddenly realized it during the test. I dashed out and it was still there. I left it for about 5 minutes, which was 5 minutes too long.

Best of luck to you finding the instrument.

Get on the horn (phone) now, call ALL the music stores in a 100 mile radius. Get specific, like serial number, any dents or marks on it, etc. File a report with the police (you should have done that already). Make a poster of the lost instrument, and the time and day it was stolen. Include a picture of it and the case. Put the poster all around campus.

Start monitoring Craigslist for it. Start monitoring Ebay for it.

I don't know of a registry for stolen horns.......there really should be one. I had a rather expensive road bicycle stolen in October. It was registered with the National Bike Registry, but after going to local shops, they NEVER check the registry. So......the bike is still missing (got a replacement one though finally).

I haven't had a horn stolen, but I have had friends who have, and they generally get it back in a few months and within a 100 mile radius of where it was stolen. Though a friend's bassoon was stolen 2 or 3 years ago and she never got that back

Quote Originally Posted by nina1983 View Post
    Please help us find our Custom YAS 875 EX which was stolen from a practice room. The finish is Gold laquer. There were three mouthpieces inside the case: Rousseau NC3, Rousseau NC4, and Claude Lakey 5*3. This horn belongs to a college student studying saxophone!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We did file a police report and have been canvassing local music dealers and pawn shops. The practice room was in the Music Building on the Ball State campus in Muncie, IN. The theft was on Thursday, May 8.

I'm happy to see that every once in a while, there is a happy ending! We'll keep our fingers crossed.

update: we followed your advice, and surprisingly, were able to locate the instrument intact with all accessories. will definitely be keeping a closer eye on it! thanks for the tips!!

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Glad to hear you found the sax.
    Would you by any chance know Ted Truswell? He was a sax playing Music Ed student at Ball State.
    I think he graduated last year.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.