P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: William Haynes Sterling Silver Clarinet Thermoclarinet

Nominated Post William Haynes Sterling Silver Clarinet Thermoclarinet

We have one up on THAT auction site for a client.....
    If you have any additional info on this... please let me know as I could find little info other then the patent..

Distinguished SOTW Member kymarto's Avatar

Default Re: William Haynes Sterling Silver Clarinet Thermoclarinet

The William S. Haynes Company began the manufacture of a double-wall, sterling-silver clarinet, based on the principal of a thermos flask, in 1926. The fabrication of this instrument continued until 1942, resulting in a total production of only 334 examples. It was the only time in the history of the Haynes Company that an instrument other than the flute was produced.

The patent for the thermoclarinet was filed on March 19, 1926, and awarded patent number 1,715,162 on May 28, 1929. The instrument consists of two, hard-drawn, sterling-silver, seamless tubes, one within the other. The bore of the inner tube matches that of a regular wood clarinet. Similarly, the outer tube matches the exterior size of a wood clarinet. Between the two tubes is a one-eighth-inch air space. A small slide, or louver, is placed at the end of the body, just above the bell. This louver can be opened, revealing the inner tube and exposing the air space. When closed, the space between the tubes is air tight. Near the top of the body is a second vent. This consists of an extended tube covered with a metal cap that renders it air tight. When the cap is removed, the outer bore is opened and the inner bore is exposed to the air. The procedure to warm the clarinet is simple. The bottom louver is opened and the top vent cap is removed. The player blows warm air into the top vent, expelling the cold air through the bottom. After several breaths the clarinet is warm and the vents are closed to seal in the warmth. The barrel of the clarinet also features a double bore. It fits tightly over the top of the body forming a tuning slide.

Nowhere on the thermoclarinet patent, nor in any advertising material or newspaper articles, is there any mention of Verne Q. Powell, co-director of Haynes at the time this instrument was designed. Yet, according to Powell, it was he who invented the warming device. So upset was Powell with this situation that he left the William S. Haynes Company, having worked there since 1913, to set up his own shop prior to July of 1926.

Excerpted from Deborah Check Reeves, "Historically Speaking," The Clarinet 31, No. 3 (June 2004), pp. 28-29.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

How interesting - I'd always wondered how this Haynes device worked.

Did Reeves's article mention Conn? They built metal clarinets in the 1880s-'90s that were doublewalled, but had no louver system. You had to warm them up by playing.

Paper on Conn metal clarinets by Margaret Banks
    (Reeves is a colleague of Banks' at Univ. of South Dakota)
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

What if you warmed up / cooled down the clarinet without opening the louver? Would the resulting under/over pressure influence the sound?
    And what if your technique were less stellar than the instrument? ;-)
    Ben

"I drank what?"
    -- Socrates

There's a nice Haynes clarinet for sale at PM Woodwinds. It's basically in mint condition with a near mint original case. Check it out!

http://www.pmwoodwind.com/instrument...trumentid=2562

Possible that PM Woodwind bought the same clarinet?
    "By seven o'clock the orchestra has arrived---no thin five piece affair but a pit full of oboes and trombones and saxophones and viols and cornets and piccolos and low and high drums." - F. Scott Fitzgerald ; The Great Gatsby

Quote Originally Posted by Kontra View Post
    Possible that PM Woodwind bought the same clarinet?
    No, this one has a different serial number, a near mint original case and is in much better condition.

Im very interested in thr silver Thermoclarinet , please tell me more about your clarinet what is the Price Rang , you are asking for Thank you for your time Regards Andrew Hope to hear from you soon my email is andrewsophia@optusnet.com.au

I also have a Haynes Sterling Silver B flat Thermoclarinet (#43). I took this to the president of the Haynes Flute company about 10 years ago and discussed the clarinet. They even found the hand written records for my exact clarinet. It is also in mint condition and after having is since 1991< I am now considering selling it. Please let me know if you are interested in this item. Best wishes.

Forum Contributor 2012

Amazing! I've never heard of these, and suddenly there's a bunch of people joining the forum just to buy and sell these things. Caveat emptor!

Distinguished SOTW Member.

OK, so how do they play, or are they just for looking at?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

you can apparently keep a limited amount of hot coffee in it ......but that would ruin the pads....

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Sop Berator View Post
    Amazing! I've never heard of these, and suddenly there's a bunch of people joining the forum just to buy and sell these things. Caveat emptor!
    True enough -- I saw the other post about one on Ebay and thought I'd mention the one at PM Woodwinds. I consigned it there -- I don't know a lot about clarinets, but they do and can answer questions. It sounded good when they tested it out, for what that's worth.

Hi Rejas..
    Is your Haynes still available?..Im interested!!
    Thanx

Distinguished SOTW Member.

There's a fellow in the Washington DC area (near me) who has one of the best, if not the best, collections of metal clarinets of all sizes in the world. Among those is a matched Bb/A pair of these Haynes double-walled clarinets, in mint condition as I recall. I was privileged to play on them for a few minutes, some years ago, and again going by memory, they played wonderfully. Heaven knows what they're worth, certainly more than any (all?) of the cars I drive.
    Dave Spiegelthal

This is an older thread, but I came across a matched set of A and Bb Haynes Clarinets. The current owner (Phil from the Flute Center of NYC) was quite excited to show them off, and when I saw them, it basically blew my mind. This set is basically in unplayable condition and heavily tarnished, but all the keys and rods are in great condition. No play in the mechanism at all...these horns seem basically unused, though age and non-museum storage took its toll on the pads and froze a lot of the rods. They cleaned and polished one of the barrels and it looked beautiful.

I convinced Phil to do some minor work to get the Bb playable (not concert ready...but at least get the mechanism working and have the pads seal/replaced enough to play). These are wonderful instruments. They don't have the same sound and resonance of wood...they definitely have the sound of a sterling silver instrument (anyone familiar with the sound and overtones sterling silver has knows what I mean). Aside from that, they sound and play like "real" clarinets. It was a privilege to see these in person, and play one. If they sound like this in less than optimal condition, I can only imagine what a full overhaul would do.

What he's asking for the pair is quite beyond my means right now, but I can honestly say, if I had it....I would buy these immediately.