Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: To sexy for church

A lot of jumping to conclusions about something that none of us were a part of except, vonbraig.

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    I'm assuming that you're a good Anglican and Church sounds something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z2jwDcb9wI

If only. I am as you guess C of E (somewhat lapsed, although we do not really bother much with "lapsed" in my branch of the C of E, everyone is lapsed). Anyway, that kind of "traditional" music is somewhat rare these days. Half the C of E tries to rock out like the methodists (a bad idea, rock, even for the methodists - sex, God and rocknroll just doesn't work). And the traditional anthems/psalms/sung evensongs etc only really work when the choir and organist/director actually know what they are doing. This could be said of all music in church, of course.

Suffice to say, my daughter did not disgrace herself but my son screeched all through prayers having discovered that churches have an excellent echoey acoustic. He then proceeded to choke on a crayon/easter egg combo.

On a side note, I did used to do some singing at Lambeth Palace but here is not the place for wanton, heathenish boasting..

On a related note (to hak's post), the below is also quite good and provides an excellent insight into "Englishness" and anglican church music:
    Sorry, unable to display
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Distinguished SOTW Member kavala's Avatar

I'm assuming that you're a good Anglican and Church sounds something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z2jwDcb9wI
    The weather forecasts in Greece are somewhat less conservative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7GnQxVcmwc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utPl6ypKpJY&NR
    Selmer Mk VI Tenor, s/no. 85,xxx Tn mpc - Jody Jazz DV New York 7*, Marquez Chinese tenor. JJ DV, JJ ESP, Link STM, Selmer Mk VII Alto, s/no. 302,xxx, Yamaha Flute F100SII http://www.youtube.com/kavalasax

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar

I played an easter mass with a choir this weekend and the priest (preacher?? --> the guy in weird clothes who was shouting) said aloud the sax made him feel like he was on a date, but he had the intelligence to turn it around and say "we're all on a date with god"... What's really funny, when you know where I stand re:religion, is the fact that I was playing in a church during a service.

Quote Originally Posted by magical pig View Post
    I played an easter mass with a choir this weekend and the priest (preacher?? --> the guy in weird clothes who was shouting) said aloud the sax made him feel like he was on a date, but he had the intelligence to turn it around and say "we're all on a date with god"... What's really funny, when you know where I stand re:religion, is the fact that I was playing in a church during a service.
    I've done sound and recordings, as well as performing many times in various types of religious services--some of which I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy behind the service. I was a professional doing a job. Most of the people I was working for understood this. If you don't make a big deal about it, it just never comes up. (well, unless they're fasting, and you bring lunch not realizing that they're fasting).
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

I double dare you to go busking late at night somewhere near the church when you know he'll hear you. Hit 'em with a little 'Round Midnight!
    JK SX90-R ALTO - Metal Meyer 6 - Zonda 4's - Metal Chain

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

One last reminder, before you take the stage (in church or not) always check to insure everything is stowed and zipped up.
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

Quote Originally Posted by jrvinson45 View Post
    One last reminder, before you take the stage (in church or not) always check to insure everything is stowed and zipped up.
    Especially if you're playing Bari. Otherwise you could be in...a pinch.
    JK SX90-R ALTO - Metal Meyer 6 - Zonda 4's - Metal Chain

I think this is all too weird... my only paying gig so far was in a Church! I think I can say with confidence that, despite my swinging some 8th notes, no one in the house committed any mental sins at that point ( in relation to the sax, that is). Sounds like a strange story worth telling to me..... getting kicked off a gig for being too sexy! It's usually the opposite problem, I find, haha.
    Proud alum of Mattawan High School bands. SMAM 2011 European tour. FIU Marching Band member 2011-.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar

I've done sound and recordings, as well as performing many times in various types of religious services--some of which I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy behind the service. I was a professional doing a job. Most of the people I was working for understood this. If you don't make a big deal about it, it just never comes up. (well, unless they're fasting, and you bring lunch not realizing that they're fasting).
    Yeah you're right. It was actually a good opportunity for me to check quite a few things I suspected but had never witnessed.

Wow – I am reading these posts and thinking how bizarre this is…

I attend a Fundamental Baptist church in the Midwest – Translate “Ultra-Conservative”. When I received the music schedule for April, I saw that I was scheduled to play Easter Sunday. Knowing that Easter Sunday is always packed with the Twice-a-Year churchgoing crowd, I was even more concerned. I asked the Lord what he wanted me to play. He gave me an amazing arrangement of – you guessed it; “Amazing Grace” – on Tenor Sax and Trumpet!

A little apprehensive, as the final notes faded I was surprised to hear a resounding “Amen” coming from the congregation!

My take on this – It’s not about you, your instrument, or even (necessarily) the notes you play. If God is in it, it doesn’t matter what others think. It’s about worshiping Him.

I am with you on this one. If your heart was truly about worshiping him with your music, and your church is rejecting it, don’t try to fight it. Consider offering your talents at another church where it can be used by the Lord.

Is the OP a dude or chic?
    If you're a dude ... sure it wasn't catholic mass?
    If you're a chic, I'm pretty sure anything you played in any style would have made him say that . . .

I'm too sexy for my shirt . . .

wait a minute. isn't the church hurting for more congregation? babies don't grow on trees. do the priest know that?

Quote Originally Posted by jrvinson45 View Post
    Now maybe you understand why bagpipes are so popular for this tune. So unsexy that even the male players usually wear skirts.
    This is now war talk !!!! lol - I always like to hear Amazing Grace at a funeral - it keeps me thinking it can wake the dead! - Whats up yer Kilt!!!

And no, ye cant toch me sporan!

The only funeral I want to hear amazing grace on highland pipes would be my own. Then I wouldn't be able to hear it.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123