Sax on the Web Forum banner

first time - ever

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike Letus 
#1 ·
Our church group only adds horns on special services, mostly Easter and Christmas. Other than these it is strings, piano and organ.

A couple weeks ago I commented to them that if I had some of the sheet music for their standards, I would practice up and maybe some day in the future be able to play with them. One thing leads to another, the musicians that would normally join them end up not being available, and now I am on to play with them this Sunday on Easter. They only had one practice, which I made it through with mixed success. It was the first time-ever- that I have played with another person, which I told them. Thankfully, the songs they are playing are very simple tunes and on some I only come in for the refrain. Increasingly nervous as the day approaches. On the plus side, a full congregation singing out of time and out of tune may be able to mask minor errors. May the Lord guide my tenor.

#3 ·
A few errors which I caught quickly enough, and a couple squeeks, probably from not being aggressive enough with my air support. Father's homily had to do with the fear and joy the first Easter. Fear and joy were certainly alternating through me. Nothing but thanks and congratulations from the music group and others, so I guess it went o.k.

#4 ·
Congratulations. I call what you did "stepping out on faith". It sounds like you did well your first time out. I've found that church piano and organ players often have a unique way of keying off one another and the music leader. Once you get into that swing, it will become instinctive. Also, try playing the tenor harmony out of the hymnal. I often find that this works pretty well for the sax alone with piano and organ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.