P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: High school talent show ideas

Default High school talent show ideas

Every year at my school we have a talent show, which I can never get up the guts to perform in. This year, seeing as it's my final year at school, I'd like to do it on my tenor sax.
    I would like to either play a song that people will recognise, or one that will sound nice, and impress them. I'm not great at playing fast songs in front of crowds, so would like to play something slow-medium. No matter how much I practice a fast song, once the nerves kick in, it sucks. One that has long tones with little fancy bits would be ideal... I thought Wedding Song by Kenny G would be nice (on soprano), but it's a little boring.
    I considered doing Harlem Nocturne or Smooth Operator, or something like that. I think I'll play along with a backing track, or maybe a pianist.
    Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!
    Anna

Tenor and soprano.

Default Re: High school talent show ideas

Have you thought of playing "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton? Have a friend who plays guitar and accompany you while you play the melody/voice line. And if you're a jazz musician or know how to improvise, improvise over the changes before going back to the head of the tune.
    Alto: YAS-62II; Phil-Tone Meyer 7M; V16 3s
    Tenor: YTS-82Z; Reso Chamber 7*; RJS 3H Unfiled

The Pink Panther.

Harlem Nocturne is a good tune. Personally, I like "'Round Midnight" by Thelonius Monk and Cootie Williams. I played that in one of my first public performances on the tenor saxophone many years ago (as in before you were born). Just a personal bias, but I think a piano is far more classy than a backing track. Do what seems right for you and just have FUN. Hope you're going to keep playing after high school is over. Break a leg!

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post
    The Pink Panther.
    That's a good suggestion. "Over the Rainbow" is nice, and you can noodle around a bit in the key at the ends of phrases. Those a tunes that it's impossible not to know so they are popular but still musically interesting (IMO)
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Not meant to offend anyone, but, I would not be looking at music that we (on this forum) think is good sax. An eighteen year old who does not play an instrument or probably does not even like jazz will be yawning after the first three bars of Round Midnight (if it is the standard version). Tears in heaven might work. You have to ask yourself what the kids are listening to in your area.
    Tenor-Walstein Phospher Bronze,Otto Link Slant Sig (Doc Tenney) 7*,Java #3.
    Alto-CE Winds Alpha, Vandoren V16 A15, Hemke #2

Quote Originally Posted by swingmanstan View Post
    Not meant to offend anyone, but, I would not be looking at music that we (on this forum) think is good sax. An eighteen year old who does not play an instrument or probably does not even like jazz will be yawning after the first three bars of Round Midnight (if it is the standard version). Tears in heaven might work. You have to ask yourself what the kids are listening to in your area.
    We think it's good music because it sounds great though. I have to please both kids and adults, so can't just aim my choice at kids.

All great ideas, thanks... I'll have to do some listening. I actually hadn't thought of Pink Panther, could be a good one. I've heard some pretty funky arrangements of it.
    Thanks all.
    Anna

Tenor and soprano.

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Peter Gunn Theme, Baby Elephant Walk, Tequila, Sir Duke

Rhapsody in Blue? Eh, maybe a bit much.

Baker Street?
    Don't B flat. Don't B sharp. Just B natural.

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

Sir Duke is gonna be in C# on tenor. No big deal if you know it and for sure it's a crowd pleaser, but it's hardly long tones. I've got my kids playing this at the moment. On the plus side, the whole playground comes to the window and watches when we do this tune. On the down side, it's one of those tunes you just have to have pretty much memorized to get through it without messing it up.

We were talking about Pick Up the Pieces on another thread recently and this is always a crowd pleaser. Having done the "Band recruitment Demo" a zillion times at a zillion schools now, I can add the following;

Jazz tunes: Kids will fall asleep.

Well known pop tunes: Kids will stay awake long enough to realize the tune sounds better with a full band.

Pink Panther: Kids will start to get interested just as you finish (Unless you improvise, the main tune lasts all of 20 seconds right?)

Funk Tunes: You've got half a chance as long as you pick something that grooves and play it with good feel.

When all's said and done, there is no harder gig than solo sax. If you can rope a few friends together and play as a band, your chances go up exponentially.

If not, just play whatever you like and enjoy playing for your own sake. You'll lose out to the guy with the rubber chicken, but that's life.

Good luck.
    The soft and despicable other side of this rather nasty coin is where everything unintelligible is automatically invested with significance by culture vultures. That was exemplified by a Ravi Shankar concert in London at which, after listening to some applause, Shankar said ‘If you liked our tuning up, I hope you will now like our playing’.

Distinguished SOTW Member

I played "A Night in Tunisia" for mine (cough in 1993 cough)
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

get yerself a drummer, guitar player and bass player from school and "rock-out" on "Smoke on the Water".

It's stupid simple for your "band" if they play in standard tuning on the E strings, and the notes in the riff are easy to do on Tenor (F# A B F# A C B F# A B A F#) add a C and an E to your "scale" and just BLOW.

Crowd pleaser, easy to do so you won't look foolish.

dv
    dave's horns:

1927 Conn New Wonder S. II Soprano

1993 Selmer USA AS100 Alto

2004 Saxophone.com TS-642U Tenor

1931 Buescher True-Tone Bari

Lotsa good ideas... I definitely agree with the band idea... Maybe even a duet would be better. I like the idea of Pick Up The Pieces, but we're playing it in big band, so maaaybe not. I thought maybe Smooth Operator or Billie Jean, they could keep the crowd interested.
    Anna

Tenor and soprano.

For these kinds of shows, you gotta have a gimmick.

Do you tap dance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdc3tkHEAxI

My old friend Kelly Wertz invented velcro tap dancing. It's probably a bit easier. No video, just a photo.

http://tancos2.pmachinehosting.com/dance/velcro.html
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

I can't sorry. Good video though.
    Anna

Tenor and soprano.

Distinguished SOTW Member ismail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Patch Paul View Post
    Just a personal bias, but I think a piano is far more classy than a backing track.
    Do you also think it sounds biased to say that a self-made gourmet meal is more classy than a menu at Burger King's?
    my music

I've done this kind of gig a few times: If you can, get either a band together, or form a sax quartet. With that in mind, I recommend: go to the 4a4 quartet website, you can find a ton of good stuff..

I've played their versions of Birdland, Baby Elephant Walk, and I Feel Good.
    Pick up the Pieces is cool, too, as is, if you've got the chops for it, finding another tenor player and a drummer and doing a tenor battle. I've seen kids that listen to Ke$ha go nuts for an old school tenor battle. There's something about it that makes everyone understand, even if they think that Jazz is what grandma listened to, and it died in 1945.
    Proud alum of Mattawan High School bands. SMAM 2011 European tour. FIU Marching Band member 2011-.

Quote Originally Posted by ARC454 View Post
    even if they think that Jazz is what grandma listened to, and it died in 1945.
    How did jazz die in 1945? It lives on in each of us, in our hearts. Now, seriously, it died when Kenny G became popular and scored hits.

A tenor or sax battle would really work. Start with a basic funk tune; then attack each other (not literally, but if you did, it would definitely be a crowd pleaser). Just make sure it remains somewhat melodic and technical.
    Don't B flat. Don't B sharp. Just B natural.

I have been considering trying to get last years' sax quartet together again for it, that'd be great I think. I'll check out some charts and have a chat to them, see what they think.
    Anna

Tenor and soprano.