Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hiscox cases

Default hiscox cases

is there any way i can distinguish between their regular pro II case and the pro II XL???

Distinguished SOTW Member nachoman's Avatar

Default Re: hiscox cases

Do Hiscox make an XL version (its something very new if they do)?
    Trevor James RAW Tenor, Theo Wanne Amma & Rico Plasticovers
    Bauhaus curved soprano, Theo Wanne Gaia & La Voz
    Charlie Blacklock Musical Saw

yeah, it's to accomodate big bell saxes like keilwerths. There a bit of room around the bell are in mine where the horn doesn't sit flush with the lining so im thinking maybe i have an XL model...

If accurate, this is good news. I'm in need of a new case for my SX90R tenor. Thanks for the post!

Distinguished SOTW Member nachoman's Avatar

I'm reasonably certain Hiscox don't make an XL at current....
    Trevor James RAW Tenor, Theo Wanne Amma & Rico Plasticovers
    Bauhaus curved soprano, Theo Wanne Gaia & La Voz
    Charlie Blacklock Musical Saw

ill send a link to a music store i've been to who is advertising them onilne atm. Can't link it atm because im on my phone

The Hiscox web site doesn't currently list an XL model, which dashes my hopes.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I Know ProTec makes an XL for large bell horns,I had one for my TH&C.
    I dont think Hiscox makes one...but if they do its the way to go for any large bell horn.

Interested to see the link

my bad, it was a mistake on the website which has now been rectified. Sorry for the misleading post

Just to say i asked Hiscox last year if they had plans on a Soprano case and they mailed back saying yes they do have plans in the future,just thought i would share this.I have had a few Hiscox PRO II cases but now have the Artist tenor case,hey its wicked.Love the stripped green velvet inside.You know your horns safe.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

whats the difference between the artist tenor case and the PRO II?

And in regards to large bell horns i reckon one would probably fit in the hiscox because theres room around the bell area when my series 3 is in there. It would depend moreso on the size of the bell flare i think...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walsh View Post
    whats the difference between the artist tenor case and the PRO II?

And in regards to large bell horns i reckon one would probably fit in the hiscox because theres room around the bell area when my series 3 is in there. It would depend moreso on the size of the bell flare i think...
    Well the 1st thing is the Artist can withstand 1000 pound of pressure on it,twice as strong as the pro II case.They have larger heavy duty latches on them,they use a different velvet inside,the artist velvet has a kind of stipped effect on it,i got the dark green velvet,wow it looks stubbing with my silver Yamah Z Tenor.As for large bell horns my Mauriat 66ruls have big bells,large flare and they fit great.I use the Artist for long heavy gigs and you feel a new sence of safety with it,for around the doors i just got a Soundwear PRO gig bag cross case from Germany,its also fantastic,huge bags on side for dots and every thing else.Backpack system for shoulders,love it.
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

just to clarify its the standard cases which have a crush weight of 500 pounds, so it wouldn't be double the PRO II. Does the artist have extra padding?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walsh View Post
    just to clarify its the standard cases which have a crush weight of 500 pounds, so it wouldn't be double the PRO II. Does the artist have extra padding?
    well heres the info on Sax.co.uk, The Artist Series is the top-of-the-line Hiscox Case. High-impact 2.5mm ABS outer shell bonded directly to an inner molding of High Tech cellular foam offers unprecedented shock and thermal protection and can withstand in excess of 1,000 lbs direct pressure without failing. These Cases have outstanding protection for your fine instrument

As for extra padding i would say no,its the outer shell thats stronger.I had 2 Ivory coloured Pro II cases last year and the padding was the same.

Any stores carry them in the U.S.? especially in the Boston area? I have a Walt Johnson tenor case that's about had it. it's been great though. I've had it for about 15 years. it's survived about 20 or 30 month-or-more tours, bouncing around in a trailer, and about 20 plane rides. But I've heard that Hiscox is now the Champ of safety, without making a road case. Anyone got a used one they wanna sell? maybe one of you guys looking for the 'big bell' one has a regular in good shape? let me know! I'd LOVE one by the summer. Thanks!

Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steadyryan View Post
    Any stores carry them in the U.S.? especially in the Boston area? I have a Walt Johnson tenor case that's about had it. it's been great though. I've had it for about 15 years. it's survived about 20 or 30 month-or-more tours, bouncing around in a trailer, and about 20 plane rides. But I've heard that Hiscox is now the Champ of safety, without making a road case. Anyone got a used one they wanna sell? maybe one of you guys looking for the 'big bell' one has a regular in good shape? let me know! I'd LOVE one by the summer. Thanks!
    If you can go to New York, I'd recommend you try the Mike Manning Cases, They are custom fit too your horn and are contoured like your Walt Johnson except these cases are amazing, everything is done by hand in the U.S. and is custom fit so you know your horn will fit and it's going to be extremely protected.

but If your set on the Hiscox Tenor Madness I believe has them:http://tenormadness.com/product_list...ry=accessories
    and so does http://sax-ccessories.com/
    Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Alto: Selmer Ref54, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKI 7, Ishimori (GP) Lig. Vandoren V12 3
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, TMEB refaced by Peter Scott 7*, François Louis Ultimate Lig. Rico Royal 3.5

Just found this info, Hiscox LA WTS Artist Tenor Saxophone Case

The strength of the shell of the 'Artist' range of Hiscox cases is 4 times that of the Standard cases and 2 times that of the Pro cases.

Artist cases also have bigger catches and bigger locks.

Interior colour: red or green

About Hiscox Cases...

The Liteflite range of cases have been designed to give precious musical instruments the finest protection possible from a lightweight case at a reasonable price.

Established in 1985, Hiscox Cases Ltd. is the brainchild of Brynn Hiscox, a professional guitar maker. Being acutely aware of the lack of quality cases on the market, he used his engineering background to design a case that stood up to his exacting requirements. Brynn's customers demanded cases that had higher protection but with less weight.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Here is a report of mine you might find interesting..

Re: HISCOX Artist Case - WOW!!!!!!
    OK,,
    had the artist case for afew days now and just want to report on it.

At first glance there is not a noticeable difference between the pro II and the artist.The weight difference between them is negligible and a non factor for me.
    Now the handle on the artist is is made of leather and I suppose might be more comfortable for some but I find the plastic handle of the pro II just fine as I usually use the strap and throw the case over my shoulder.
    The first real noticeable difference is the latches on the artist are larger and better quality than the proII. The lower latch on the artist is relocated about 6" lower towards the bow section of the horn.
    the aluminum valance that goes around the center of the case seems to be the same on both cases.
    Interior....
    Its layed out the same in both cases,the artist has different lining which I prefer compared to the ProII but the dimensions are the same in both cases.

So...
    IS the price difference worth bigger latches & nicer lining along with thicker shell..maybe for some.
    My take is the proII is just fine for most all situations including mine, but if I was going to be on a world tour or in a situation where I had to hand my horn over to a road crew or check it as baggage the the Artist would be the way to go.
    I also got the cover for the case which is cool...made of padded denier material which will protect the outside of the case.The case cover has a zipper on each end which zips to both ends of the handle so the case can be hand carried.The shoulder strap D rings on the case cover are nylon plastic with nylon straps sewn into the cover,this may be a sore spot over time if the nylon straps become separated from the case cover.

All in All the artist is superior to the ProII....is it worth the extra $$$,,possibly.
    The reason I bought mine is I got a great deal I could not pass up on the case & the cover.

Fitment...my Selmers fit great and my B&S tenor fits just fine as well.the SG model VI fits and it has a fairly large bell so there may be hope for large bell horns...

Hope this helps,if anyone has questions about either case let me know.

thats a great comparison. i think any large bell horn would fit fine in a hiscox. i think it'd be the bell flare that might cause some issues with fit...

this post helped me make my decision, bought a hiscox pro II two days ago, coming on thursday!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast