Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished SOTW Member jaysne's Avatar

Default Re: Technology in the pit

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Okay, as log as you understand there is a diference between a computer trying to sound like a sax section, and an actual sax section sampled and being presented.
    I admit I am lumping "computer trying to sound like a sax section" with "actual sax section sampled." To me, there is very little difference because they both sound fake.

Having artificial horns (meaning either computer or samples) is like looking at a photograph of a beautiful painting. It looks basically the same but there is a world of difference, and you could never confuse one with the other. And which one would you rather look at?

One tech thing I did see lately that impressed me was on a Harry Connick Jr. show, all the players were using a computer tablet of some kind. He had a small big band section, rhythm section and a string section. I thought it looked very cool! No lights on the music stands and they were all back lit. Very interesting, and nice looking!
    Dragon
    Selmer Soprano, Alto, Tenor Sax Super Action 80 Series II
    Please check my www.Ryuza.com for books on music, jazz duets, jazz trios, and more.

Live pits are alive and well up here in Maine. It might be because the technology is expensive and we play for peanuts. It's mostly for school programs, and, therefore, for the kids.

Harry Connick's guys were probably running IPads for their sheet music. I've been tempted to do it myself, but the size of the sheet is hard on the eyes.
    2005 Yamaha 82Z alto, Bettoney C Melody, 1946 King Zephyr Tenor,
    2004 the Woodwind Soprano,1989 Normandy Clarinet, 2005 Band Now Flute
    1989 smokin' hot Wife who hates Kenny G!

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaysne View Post
    I admit I am lumping "computer trying to sound like a sax section" with "actual sax section sampled." To me, there is very little difference because they both sound fake.

Having artificial horns (meaning either computer or samples) is like looking at a photograph of a beautiful painting. It looks basically the same but there is a world of difference, and you could never confuse one with the other. And which one would you rather look at?
    okay ... I hear you, just there is a distinction between "fake" sax sounds and simply "pre-recorded" sax sounds. I personally would enjoy listening to pre-recorded sax sounds of someone awesome playing that has high-end production value versus live amatuers who sound lame.
    I would rather look at a picture of a beautiful place than imagine a beautiful place but not get to go to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12