P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: How does the Kessler Soprano Sax Performance Model 1 play?

Default How does the Kessler Soprano Sax Performance Model 1 play?

I'm still not sure whether or not to pick up Soprano yet, but if I do, I think I may buy the Kessler because of how great a price it is. My questions are, how is the intonation, and is it a good starting soprano? Will I be able to get a mellow sound out of it? And, should I invest in a better mouthpiece than the one that comes with it? Thanks!
    "By seven o'clock the orchestra has arrived---no thin five piece affair but a pit full of oboes and trombones and saxophones and viols and cornets and piccolos and low and high drums." - F. Scott Fitzgerald ; The Great Gatsby

Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: How does the Kessler Soprano Sax Performance Model 1 play?

I've done a lot of business with Dave Kessler over the years. I trust him to make good decisions when he chooses manufacturers to make saxophones with his name on them. Unless you buy the BIG name brands like Selmer-Paris, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth, or Rampone (forgive if I left out one or two), you are most likely going to end up with a saxophone made in Taiwan or mainland China.

Many inexpensive saxophones come from these two countries and much of the quality depends on the demands made by the person who intends to put his name on the horn. I think Dave Kessler makes sure that what he orders is done to a level of production-quality that meets his standards.

So, if I was going to buy a new inexpensive soprano saxophone these days (which I am not, having already seven sops in my closet, from 1928 to modern horns), I'd buy one of Kessler's house-branded sopranos, or the Antigua line. I bought an Antigua soprano from Kessler years ago - I don't know if he still sells them. But I'd bet that his house-brand horn will play well and give you a good foundation for building your soprano chops.

As far as mouthpieces go, I saw where someone provided a link to previous discussions about soprano mouthpieces. Most of the stock mouthpieces that come with a new soprano should work for you, at least to get started. Once you are comfortable with the smallish embouchure, then explore mouthpiece upgrades. The type and strength of the reed is more critical than the mouthpiece design. With the right reed, I can make any mouthpiece play. DAVE
    Dave

SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2013

Holy metal, Batman, it's Dave Dolson!

Haven't seen you around these parts in quite some time. Good to see you posting; hope you've been well.

- Saxaholic

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saxaholic View Post

Haven't seen you around these parts in quite some time. Good to see you posting; hope you've been well.

- Saxaholic
    +1 - Dave played a part in the purchase of my Kessler tenor four years ago. I've absolutely no regrets to this day!

Call Dave/Chuck and see what they have to say. Tell them what you require out of the horn and they'll steer you to the Kessler, Antigua, or something else.

And yes, they still sell Antigua.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxaholic View Post

- Saxaholic
    Miss him for almost 3 years!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I am well and still playing. I gave myself a sabbatical. Good to be back. DAVE
    Dave

SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2013

I hear you. I was mostly absent for an extended period myself. Sometimes it's good to get away.

I'm glad you're back.

- Saxaholic

+3, same here!!!
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Forum Contributor 2013

Good to see a valid sop guy replying to sop questions again. Welcome back Dave you were missed!
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

Forum Contributor 2009 David Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I am well and still playing. I gave myself a sabbatical. Good to be back. DAVE
    It's good to see you back too, Dave.
    Sop: Antigua Winds 590BC - Yamaha 6C
    Ten: Conn 10M - Rubber Link 5