P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Step up Bb

Default Step up Bb

Hello
    I'm new to this forum as I am to playing clarinet. I only took it up in my retirement.
    I've been playing a Selmer 1400, but would like to step up to a nice wood instrument. From what I've been able to glean from this and other sites I think either a Selmer or LeBlanc horn would suit my needs. I'm certainly open to other suggestions though.
    My budget is pretty tight; maybe $300. including shipping to Canada. Unfortunately my gov. pension doesn't leave much room for fun things.
    I would be most interested in trading some of my art prints for an instrument. My work can be seen at: www.bloominaround.ca

Thanks for looking

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Default Re: Step up Bb

Welcome!

If you can find one of these clarinets in your price range:

Selmer Signet Special, SML, Buffet E11/12, Buffet Evette Master Model, Selmer Omega, some Artleys', Evette & Scheaffer...
    These are pretty good step up clarinets in the 'vintage' catagory. Sometimes you can find Buffet R13s' pretty cheap.
    Yamaha intermediates are good as well if you can find one.

Please be aware that almost any clarinet you find at or below $300 may need some work done. Pads, corks, adjustments...
    Even if the seller says it has just been serviced or that it 'plays as is'.

Enjoy your search! Clarinet is a wonderful instrument.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Thanks for the reply- I really appreciate it. I'm slowly sifting through the information I can find re makes and models. There sure is a lot.

Cheers- preston

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Quite a few of our members are pretty knowledgable when it comes to clarinets and 'clarinet shaped objects'.
    If you find one in your price range that you have a question about, don't hesitate to ask.
    We'll do our best to help you!
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Some Noblets make nice intermediate clarinets. I don't think they have particularly helpful model numbers - look for the "N" logo ("N" in a circle above the "Noblet" name) or the diamond shaped logo. In your price range you might possibly find a Leblanc Sonata - a high-end intermediate/low-end professional model - but that would be a real find.

I got a Selmer Signet last year on eBay for $75. $200 repair work later, I have a nice clarinet for a good price.

I just saw this link [URL="http://clarinetcorner.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/ridenour-new-accelerando-clarinet-225-00/[/URL] I don't know if this will suit you, but this is Sherman Friedland's clarinet site and he has a wealth of clarinet information.

I didn't do that link correctly and I can't figure out how to edit it. Try this: http://clarinetcorner.wordpress.com/...arinet-225-00/

Distinguished SOTW Member.

If you can hold off for a while and can get up to $5 or $600, you can find some really nice vintage clarinets of professional quality. Expect to put a few bucks in anything you buy, up to $100.00.

Thanks Rondalo and Spike- The Ridenour looks interesting.

Distinguished SOTW Member

I agree with spike. A used pro model Selmer or Leblanc in decent shape can frequently be found for $500 or $6oo. A used Noblet might be a nice step-up too.

Does anyone know anything about a "Jean Martin" by Martin Freres of France.
    Jeremy Soule at The Vintage Clarinet Doctor has a refurbished one in my price range.

Jeremy also has an A. Fontaine Bb clarinet by Couesnon of France. I haven't been able to find any info on either the Jean Martin or the Fontaine horns. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

I've heard the name and here's a thread for you to look at. It's an intermediate horn, not very well known. If it were me I would stick to the better known makers, unless I had a chance to check it out in person and at length. That's especially true when you consider resale. My question to you is this. What advantages do you feel you will gain moving to a so called intermediate horn over your Selmer 1400 ?

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...Paris-clarinet

I got some info from Tom Ridenour - Arioso model Bb's which are acoustically identical to the Lyrique (the Lyrique line was made for business purposes when Tom went full time with his own business, Ridenour Clarinet Products) and are prepared personally by Tom in the exact same way as the Lyrique. The Arioso ASB-101 is $765
    Thought some of you might be interested.

Thanks for the info Spike. To answer your question - I find the Selmer 1400 to be a bit shrill in the upper notes even when my teacher played it.

I have quite a few decent Bb clarinets for under $500, please PM me.
    Dave Spiegelthal

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2008

David S. specializes in turning lesser known clarinets into really fine players. I heartily recommend you check out what he has. They will come to you in ready to play condition too.

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

Can you get somewhere to try a number of horns? It is good to play them if possible. Even if you can only get to a store that has new horns you can't afford, it may give you some idea of the character of Buffet, Selmer, Yamaha, etc., which will help you in picking a used horn.

Thanks Fred and artstove. I have sent David S. a pm and waiting to hear from him.
    artstove - I wish I could get to a store to check out some different horns. The local shop here only has cheep Chinese instruments. It's one of the disadvantages of living in a small town on an island.

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prezden View Post
    It's one of the disadvantages of living in a small town on an island.
    I am sure it has other advantages, though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast