P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Cheating in Church!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Thumbs up Cheating in Church!!!

Today was our day to provide special music for Sunday morning service. Last Thursday (3 days ago), I asked my wife what she wanted to do? She said that she really liked the Casting Crowns song, "Here I Go Again". I'd never heard the song, but I went ahead and downloaded the performance tracts from Amazon.

I plugged both the performance backing track and the full version track with vocals into Audacity. Then I looped the intro to give room for a little saxophone at the beginning. This gave about 20 seconds to blow sax until my wife would begin singing. Next I went to the guitar break. Luckily, the guitar already sounded kind of muted and was really only playing an embellished cord progression. A sax break would fit perfectly over it without modification.

I made both performance and vocal tracks into mono tracks and then put one on the right stereo channel and the other on the left. This gave me a "split track" rendering. Then I prayed (because I'm not the world's best at improvisation) and I started blowing my sax to the music until I worked out the intro and break. Plus I added a little light sax work during the ending below the singing, which lasts right up to the last note.

Now for the performance, I put the split track MP3 onto an iPod and plugged in a cable that splits the left and right stereo channels. The channel with just the backing music was patched into a microphone port below the preacher's podium going to the house sound system. The track with vocals went into a set of ear buds. My wife was then able to listen to the original vocals via the ear buds while singing. This helped her with timing and kept her on pitch. As for me, I just closed my eyes and prayed that my figures would remember the sax parts I had worked out by ear.

Now you may ask how did all this work out? Well, the answer was volunteered by a teenage future college music major that was seated in the second row. After the performance, he came up to me and said in an amazed tone, "Dude. That was compleeeetely legit! You owned that solo".

This was one of those times where we were unprepared and performing something well outside our comfort zone. But through faith we pulled it off, once again. And I now have a better way to keep my wife on beat and on pitch. It was another great day worth remembering.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Default Re: Cheating in Church!!!

I wouldn't call that cheating. I'd call it 'insuring that you make a joyful noise unto the Lord'.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Faith without works is dead. I read that somewhere. You made good use of the resources at hand. It was clever and obviously successful, so just feel good about it and go with what works for you. Such an undertaking should be a joyful thing, so HAVE A GOOD TIME!

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

Don't beat yourself up. In today's era of ipods etc, the vast majority of music that is heard is recorded and is essentially technically flawless. It's not old Mabel at the piano doing the best she can. I believe that musical perfection is now what our brains unconsciously expect, even at church. Violations of that ideal, such as a messed-up chord or muffed entrance, have significant potential IMO to disrupt spiritual reverie.

You did what you had to do to ensure that the train stayed on the tracks. You should be commended, if anything.
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

Ditto to what others have said.

I'll add one more thing. The more you do this, the less you'll need the "cheats." It will get easier. I promise! :-)

If God had a problem with it, he would of had the battery in the iPod die, your reeds all break, or maybe just smite the entire church down.

Either way, congrats!
    JK SX90-R ALTO - Metal Meyer 6 - Zonda 4's - Metal Chain

I did sound for several denomination's national conferences over the years (yeah, I worked for anyone that paid me ). The performers ran the gamut of completely live, sung to tracks, play to tracks, and complete lip-sync (except during the 'exhortation' section).
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

MA(temp) from VA from MD from NY from FL from NJ from MI from CA from MA from FRG from PA from...

Damn, I assumed this thread would be about adultery.
    64K Tenor - FocusTone Standard .105
    "A loud mistake is better than nothing." -WD

Sound like you did a great job

Forum Contributor 2013

I just started working on the recording for this piece.

I'm trying a new recording setup using both a condenser and diaphragm mic together. Here's about twenty seconds of the intro. I'll post more after we lay down the vocals. Let me know what you think:

http://cierra.cc/HereIGo%20intro1.mp3
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

Forum Contributor 2011 Steve Stockham's Avatar

Sounds good but what happened to you posting more? (I got to this thread just now.)

Very nice!! I read the opening post months ago but never did listen to the recording.