P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Flute headjoint upgrade!!.Miyazawa.MZ10

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

Default Flute headjoint upgrade!!.Miyazawa.MZ10

Just thought i would share, with you my new upgrade for flute!..i considered changing flute, but went with a new headjoint instead!.
    I currently use a yamaha 311,but felt i needed more in my sound.
    I was in london recently and tried out several, flutes miyazawa,sankyo,murumatsu and altus!..my budget was up to a 1000£, and to be honest alot of the brands mentioned were just beyond what i had in mind!..
    You dont get much for your money!,after experimenting with various headjoints i took away a couple for trial, from a reputable stockists and have now settled on a miyazawa! MZ-10 all silver, anyone else had expirience with this headjoint or the MZ range?.
    I love it and for the money,i feel it will serve me well for the next few years,im so pleased, the core sound is a definite improvement, with more depth to the tone, it was a lot of fun trying out the heads!..but can get confusing!!..so many variations, it all depends what you are looking for in sound,,etc..
    Last edited by jazzcat58; 04-01-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: more info
    bs gunning

Distinguished SOTW Technician BOPITY FUNK's Avatar

Default Re: Flute headjoint upgrade!!..MZ10

Brian, are you using the MZ10 head joint with your 311?? I currently play a 411--all silver---after playing a 311 for 12years.
    I would buy a Miyazawa if I had the money they are great flutes IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BOPITY FUNK View Post
    Brian, are you using the MZ10 head joint with your 311?? I currently play a 411--all silver---after playing a 311 for 12years.
    I would buy a Miyazawa if I had the money they are great flutes IMO.
    Yes bopity!..i am the flute is a doubling instrument for me,it would of been nice to have bought a new miyazawa, as like wise i really like what i hear from, the miyazawas, but as i said a 1000£ does not go too far!, on ebay there are flutes to be had for about 1200-1800£, and these would be very good intermediate/pro flutes.
    The miyazawa, headjoints fit very well on the 311,and no adjustment was needed,so perfect, do you see/hear a great deal of difference between the 311/411, i feel the yamaha bodywork is fair enough!..typical good mechanism, easy action, but i would love a miyazawa in the future!
    bs gunning

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Miyazawa is one of the most overlooked flutes. The heads are very good for an upgrade. I think the lowerend (plated key) models are a bit pricey but the all silver and the alloy flutes are quite nice. I was a dealer for them when they first came to the US around 1977 and sold dozens. I no longer sell really high end flutes but if I did start again. Miyas would be one of my lines.

Default Re: Flute headjoint upgrade!!.Miyazawa.MZ10

I don't think they're that overlooked anymore. Probably one of the most played professional brands now. I'm debating on one of their heads in the next few years. I would like to try a Lopatin too, which I really should look at since I live just over an hour away from him!

Default Re: Flute headjoint upgrade!!.Miyazawa.MZ10

really worth the money to my ear!..very pleased with this!, instant responce, resistence not as much as the stock 311 head which is all silver also,tone much richer, but pushes well also the harmonics are more prominent..this will serve me well for the next few years i reckon..
    bs gunning