Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTW new member introductions, 2011 April - August

139K views 388 replies 369 participants last post by  adwilli 
#1 ·
Welcome all new members to SOTW Forum.
A few words of introducing yourself here, please.

#105 ·
Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2011 April -

Hello all. My name is Marcus from the San Francisco bay area and I'm back on bari after 20 years of not playing. This is the most excitement I've had for anything in a long time. I picked up an EM Winston that im using a Yamaha 5c mouthpiece on and #2 Rico reeds. I did pretty good at remembering the fingerings and tone has not been an issue. I look forward to all that I can learn here as well as meeting other cool sax players.

#106 ·

Hi,
Im Marc from the Philippines. i started playing sax almost two years ago after bouncing from instrument to instrument for years.
when i started, my parents bought me an alto. a japanese made saxophone. it didnt play well but it was enough to show me the ropes
i then moved to purchasing a mark VII from a friend that moved to the US, there i enjoyed the art of playing because of the nice horn
then i recently acquired a Martin Handcraft C-Melody Tenor from an antique shop here in Manila. its old and needs work but im planning to turn it as my main horn

#107 ·

Hello,

I might be a bit of a trespasser here, please bear with me. When I was 14 I tried playing sax for about a year. Never stuck with it. I still have my alto sax, though and thought I would sign up to find out more about it and its worth. Times being what they are, I am thinking of selling it.

The sax is a "Dorado 500" made by Yanagisawa, and stamped with the Yanagisawa logo and "A-4" From poking around on the net it looks to be a 1973 model, which makes sense. I still have the hard case too. It's in fine shape, with some scratches but not too bad.

In any event, I will try to find the correct forum to ask about this.

Thanks!

#108 ·

I'm not real swift when it comes to "forums" so I hope I'm doing this right...
My name is Bob Baran, you can google me. I've been playing since I was 10 years old. On the road as a pro at 19. Went on to study at the Indiana University School of Music - Jazz Studies and lived in Bloomington, Indiana (mid 70's) almost 10 years and started my first recording studio there... I auditioned for Dave Baker and then for Eugene Rousseau - I think Eugene took pity on me and let me in! The sax has always been my "stage presence" ironically, my last solo piano album made it to the Grammys in 4 categories and hit #10 on the Billboard New Age Catalog Chart in 2009. But, I am sax when it comes to projecting my pure "male" energy. My Dad was a sax player - maybe that's where I got "male energy" thing from - watching how the ladies reacted to him and his horn as I was growing up... HA!

I was born in Detroit got my first sax lessons in New Orleans and played my first pro gig in Rockford, Illinois in 1970. I've got 7 CD's out all available on iTunes now - I was really passionate about Jazz Fusion and Prog Rock back in the day but find my musical tastes are very eclectic - all about expressing feeling regardless of the stylistic medium.

#109 ·

Hi my site name is equake. I play a Selmer Serie II tenor and a Yamaha 581 flute with the EC headjoint.

My mouthpiece is a Jody Jazz DV 7*. My reeds are Vandoren Java red box 2 1/2. I think we all know what my ligature is.

I play Jazz.

#111 ·

Hello, I'm from Nanaimo, Canada. I started playing the sax in January, a Yamaha student tenor, and found my calling. I want to be a band teacher, to host a radio show, and to play in many bands. My parents bought me a Yanagisawa T991 tenor as my horn-for-life and it has been top notch in every way. I found this site while searching for horns, and saw an opportunity to meet other players and to learn more about jazz. Just for anyone who is selling, or thinking of selling, a Conn Transitional, or Artist, baritone, I'm on the look-out for one, so let me know.
Best regards,
"The Kid" (What Houston Person called me when I met him at a recent concert - with Phil Dwyer, Jody Proznick, and Jesse Cahill - a wondeful player and a really nice man.)

#112 ·

Hi, my name is Brian. I currently live in a suburb of Dayton, OH. I'm currently in high school, but I will graduate June 1 :). Next year I will be at the Ohio State University majoring in Engineering and minoring in music. I play Soprano, Alto, and Tenor saxes quite frequently with some clarinet doubling thrown in. I will very occasionally play Bari. I love playing jazz music. While jazz is my true passion, I also enjoy playing some classical music -- mostly modern stuff -- and also some blues/rock. I joined this site because it contains a wealth of information on my chosen instrument. Well, enough about me. I look forward to my future as a part of this community.

#113 ·

Hello everyone,
My name is John and I want to thank everyone for contributing to the forums here. I have researched many ideas and have gained a great deal of insight into the many facets of saxness by everyone simply sharing their knowledge and love for saxophones and music. This is a fantastic community. Long live SOTW

#114 ·

Hi everybody.

I'm working on my jazz playing and really need to get rid of my written music crutch. I have a fatal case of "gear acquisition syndrome".

I'm concentrating on alto and doubling on clarinet and flute. Like comedy, my clarinet and flute playing is often not pretty.

I've enjoyed lurking here for awhile and thought i might chime in so you can all tell me to go practice.

Cheers,

coach.

#115 ·

Hi, I am Michael, also a "late-boomer" from Germany. Playing Tenor now for 2 1/2 years. From the first day on with a teacher. Playing at a big band for 2 years now.
Looking for a new Tenor. Tried Selmer ref 36 and 54, but they don't touched me. Got now a P.Mauriat 66rul at home and it really moved me. Tomorrow i try the Yanigasawa 991. But I think it will be the 66RUL.

#116 ·

Hi All,

I am a novice as far as the sax concerned, or music in general (just started to learn alto since Aug. 2010).
Hope to come across the people who loves music, especially jazz.

#117 ·

Hi fellow sax players! I'm Cyndi, an alto sax player and big band leader from Columbus, OH. I've been playing alto for 40+ years and I also double clarinet and flute. My big band has been working in the central Ohio area for 25 years now. This is a great forum! I look forward to being part of the community.

#118 ·

Hi, I'm Kelly from Portland. I played the alto for a few months in beginner band in the 70's and stopped due to shyness. I'm 46 now and took up the tenor last December after hearing/seeing the Prez Lester Young on you tube. I've got a Vito student model (made in Japan) so it's like a yamaha; I don't sound like prez yet but patience! I love it but struggle to find time to practice every day. A friend who plays the bone in a jazz band said his sax guys recommended this site; I've found it very useful. So my burning question is, what sax did young play? My money is on a Conn 10M or naked lady given the time, but if I go by sound it sounds more like a Beusher aristrocrat or maybe a king Zepher although I'm not sure they made them back in the 30's and 40's.

#119 ·
Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2011 May

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and have just picked the sax back up after 25 years. I played through college and now that my kids are grown and mostly gone - I have started playing again and I realized just how much I missed it. I can promise you that as long as I can breath and wiggle my fingers I will be playing a sax somewhere!

I play bari in a rock & roll band and an 18 piece big band, tenor in a blues / dixieland band and at church, and alto - none of the bands are big or famous! LOL I have always played strictly with music but a couple of the blues and rock & roll bands I play with now really need me to improvise which I totally can't do yet! So I am looking for teaching, pointers - and yes, I am not above ripping off someone else's great transcribed solo.

My saxes: Selmer Mark 6 Bari, Mark 6 Tenor, Yamaha (YAS-52) alto. I also have delusions of being able to play like Kenny G so I am looking for a soprano.

Please, any and all advise is welcomed and desired! AND --- and transcriptions that you are willing to share will be eagerly practiced and played!

Thanks in advance for all the help! Not only do I want to get better, I NEED the help!

#120 ·

Hi,
I'm Josh. I play alto and tenor sax and have play alto since 6th grade(4 years) and tener for 2 years. Looking forward to this site

G
#121 ·

Hi everyone! im aafiat! i play the most beautiful sax sound on earth, the bari!!
i've been play the sax for 6 years ( alto 4 years and bari 2 years). i play mostly in big band, quartet and also with a ska band "Johny Comes Lately" can check it out at www.facebook.com/johnycomeslately .

and please, any and all advise and comments is welcomed !!
and will appreciate transcriptions that you are willing to share and trade :D

CHEERS!!!

#123 ·

Hi I am Rosemary from England. I have been playing alto sax for just over four years. I also play flute and piano. I upgraded my student sax last September to a Yanagisawa A901 and play either with Rico Jazz Select 2H or Vandoren 2 1/2. I have been looking at the forum for quite a while and have found the information very useful.

#124 ·

Hello everyone-
My name is Theophile. I am 14 years old.
I've been playing the alto since 6th grade so 3 years now! Although this past year, I haven't been playing much because now, I am living on a sailboat with my family!
I really love music and the alto.

Looking foward to the site!!

-Theophile
Salvador da Bahia, Brazil

#125 ·

Hello everyone-
My name is Theophile. I am 14 years old.
I've been playing the alto since 6th grade so 3 years now! Although this past year, I haven't been playing much because now, I am living on a sailboat with my family!
I really love music and the alto.

Looking foward to the site!!

-Theophile
Salvador da Bahia, Brazil
Sorry, can a mod delete it so I can repost in the may thread....stupid me...

#126 ·

Hello Everyone!

I'm a saxophone performance/music education major at WTAMU. I play Selmer saxophones(Series II alto, Series III soprano). I have found a ton of useful information over the years at SOTW, and decided to join recently. I look forward to learning and discussing saxophone in the future with the SOTW community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.