Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cannonball Alto A5-B Ice - Need info, value etc

Well it looks like my search for a good alto for my son may have an end in sight. My local band store has a very nice black/silver/grey two-tone A5-B Ice stone series big bell for sale. It is in very good condition, has the two necks, faux aligator case, and plays beautifully. The shop offers great terms as well. My only concern is the price $1395. I have no idea what this sax is worth and after much digging on the web, can't find much info either. Some prices are higher for similar saxophones. this one I am told has been discontinued. The store is well known for charging 15% + more than other local shops. Its a beautiful horn.

Default Re: Cannonball Alto A5-B Ice - Need info, value etc

Hi Crazee...

You don't give detail on the "great terms", so I must assume you don't feel gouged there in that additional profit area. Some profit is expected to ensure they will be there later for service.

New prices on that horn are (depending on location) $2100 - 2300. By way of personal experience, it's likely that a nearly new used horn would be priced at 50% or $1000 - 1100 privately...a bit more from the dealer. However, if you wanted to trade that "nearly new used horn" in, the dealer might offer $750 - 800. Anecdotal conjecture.

This is a newer Cannonball and should provide a fine start for the boy - Does he play now? Has he tried it out? If everybody is happy buy it and move on to the practice room.

GPD
    If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. ... I get most joy in life out of music. - A. Einstein

Saxman, thank you for the info.

Yes Jonathan plays well, he is in the school jazz band, puts me to shame. He is a senior next year and I want to get him something he can play for the next 6+ years. The terms are pretty agreeable, 11% apr, $55 x 26 months with settlement on amount owed at anytime in that period, which to me looks a fairly good deal. This includes full maintenance for the 26 months and 12 month warranty. I am considering offering $1200, which would save me a few pennies each month, am awaiting a call from the owner.

I went in looking for a YAS-475, but they had no used, and new was $2400 which was their usual topped up price. just so happened to see the cannonball next to it, almost ignored it as I thought it was new - and then the price jumped out at me, it was half the price of anything else on the wall. We were at that moment talking about a new YAS-200AD which was the same price, and it occured to me that this might be something worth looking at.

The kid has been wanting a black sax, and this one will knock him out! I will add he has not asked for a new sax, he keeps telling me to save my money and he will play on with his trusty King Cleaveland 613. He's a good kid.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazeeAyDee View Post
    I am considering offering $1200, which would save me a few pennies each month, am awaiting a call from the owner.
    The dealer:
    If the dealer counters "no", opt for some throw-ins instead: Pad saver, swab, reeds, reed case, tuner/metronome, etc. These add up too.

The Son:
    What a good boy! ("...he keeps telling me to save my money and he will play on with his trusty King Cleaveland 613") Sounds like he deserves that black-ice beauty. Starting to sound a bit like "The Gift of the Magi" here...

GPD
    If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. ... I get most joy in life out of music. - A. Einstein

I have a Cannonball A5 B-Ice-B sax, that's about 4 1/2 years old. I got a good deal on it from Scimonetti Music in CA. But they are now Cornerstone Music. Jim retired. Anyway, I paid a few hundred more than your used one for my new one back then. There is a Cannonball Stone Series Alto on ebay right now for about that same price. (see below), so that price may not be too far out of line. If you can get financing from the dealer, and help to keep them in business, it might not be a bad deal. As SaxMan1947 said, haggle a bit, for whatever you can. I just had my alto into my instrument tech for the first time since I bought it and he didn't find a lot that needed to be done after 4+ years. He said that it will probably need some tone hole and pad work down the line, but not yet. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannonball-Stone...item25627ce8e5

For what it's worth, I play in a jazz band at the University of South Carolina and have met some of the students there and often go hear recitals and concerts. Quite a few of the students play Cannonballs and really like them. I tried a couple and they weren't my cup of tea but I've heard some played that were really kickin'. Just for background, I'm 61, a lifelong musician and have played sax for about 24 years. The price is about in line with what I would expect if it is really a pristine horn. But I would ALWAYS haggle for anything used, as has been pointed out here already.

And it's wonderful you support your son's musical efforts. Keep it up and good luck!

The Cannonball Stone Series Altos that have sold on eBay in the last 6 months have ranged from $1200 to $2299 with the average price of $1737. There have only been 5 sold in that amount of time and the search function did not give the details of which finish since the ones that sold were more than 3 months ago. If you can get them to throw in a 12 month shop service warranty for the $1395 it will be an even better deal IMO.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Haggle but if they don't come down it's still an okay deal. Pretty good rate for financing anything these days. It's a very nice horn and definitely pro quality.
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

The sax is very similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannonball-Stone...item25627ce8e5 and has the silver bell, grey silver body and dark gold keys. Its a beautiful saxophone.

I went in today and put down a holding deposit so they don't sell it in the meantime, owner will only be back next week and then we can talk turkey. I think Jon is going to be 'blown' away (well I hope so!)

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar

Unless I missed something, the Big Bell Stone Series has not been discontinued. If they say it is a discontinued horn, it may be old stock of a Global Series. I don't think Cannonball has produced Global series horns in about 6-7 years. I really don't think there is a huge playing/ sound difference between the two...though the bore size may be larger on the SS. The difference may be in value. Used Cannonball SS altos seem to get 1100-1700. I can't remember seeing a GS get more than 1000...

If it says "Stone" across the front of the bell, it's a Big Bell Stone Series sax. swperry1 is right. That will make for a difference, in price, but probably not so much in sound.

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

+1 on how the stone series is not discontinued.

I got my black/gold (BL) stone alto with just a couple scratches on it for $1250 a couple years ago on Ebay. It's a Killer horn (It's in my current avatar pic). It put my Mk VII in the closet. I think that's a good deal if it's pristine-- especially if they throw in 12 months service, and/or some accessories.

If it reads "Big Bell Global Series" on the face of the bell (not the front), then I think $1000-1100 would be more fair.
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

from what I understand, the style is no longer an option. It is a stone series Big Bell, has a dark gray body, a silver bell and copper/gold keys.

Just had a notification from Jon's school - he may not get to play in jazz band next year. They have changed the rules and he has to participate in regular band in order to be in the jazz band. This would mean giving up on electives he has been involved in the past 3 years. he is the most senior member in the Video-mag and drama programs and this band director wants him to give one of these up for his program. Jonathan wants to be a film editor/director after college. The boy is devastated and I'm pretty upset myself. His only alternative is to complete a 6 week summer program and get one of his senior classes out of the way and take band as his 3rd elective. Band Director is playing hard ball. (kid just texted me, he is going to quit drama to save his jazz band spot! - damn)

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

They have changed the rules and he has to participate in regular band in order to be in the jazz band.

Band Director is playing hard ball. (kid just texted me, he is going to quit drama to save his jazz band spot! - damn)
    That's a bummer. That was the rule at my high school too, only they looked the other way and let me do jazz ensemble only, since I only had ONE elective to burn. I was playing tenor, which is pretty much superfluous in concert band, and because I took study of improvisation to a level beyond other kids, the jazz directory stumped hard for me. I'm sure he'll enjoy jazz band, especially with a nice sax.
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

It is unfortunate when students are put into these situations regarding electives. As a former band teacher I know where the band director is coming from. In most music programs the jazz ensemble is an ancillary group to the regular band class. If the jazz group is popular, not having this requirement would result in the best upper class players with the most experience choosing the jazz band over the concert band leaving that group without the leadership it needs to be the best it can be. This situation becomes "the tail wagging the dog" in band teacher parlance.

Sometimes a helpful counselor can find a workaround solution to these types of conflicts.

jbtsax, you may be onto something. When Jonathan joined jazz band they were short an alto sax player, so he got to play in jazz band, but did not have to contribute to other events, like pep rallies and playing at the HS games - which probably left some of the other jazz members thinking they could quit regular band and stay with the jazz band. The band director closed this loophole for the drum line last year - which saw some of the drum line drummers becoming tuba players - go figure! Now that jazz band has become popular, the band director is taking no chances!

Lets hope the new sax brings the lad some big band inspiration!

Well good news folks - I got $100 of the list price, and was given a great payment plan which included full maintenace for the entire period of the loan.

Had a good chat with Jon last night, says he is going to go full out in band next year, so all is good.

Picked up the axe at lunch time!

Once again, thank you for your positive replies and great advice. you guys rock!

SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2013

That's great. You have a good kid there. If mine told me that (save your money, I'll play this instead) I'd probably buy him whatever he wanted. It's hard to find that in kids these days.

I played on a Cannonball for years, and it was a solid horn with a big sound. Good luck to you and your son.

- Saxaholic

Thank you.

One last note. It does say Stone on the bell. This color combo I believe is no longer available. It looks like an A5 Hotspur with gold keys - Body is Black Nickel, Bell and Bow are silver, keys are gold plate. Has two necks, gold regular and fat silver. Was/Is known as the A5-B Ice. Serial number is 123XXX. Tried doing some research on this model but can't find much else out there. Lets call it a collectible!

Alan

Well good news folks - I got $100 of the list price, ...

Once again, thank you for your positive replies and great advice. you guys rock!
    Way to go on the negotiation!! ...and, as for people "Rockin'", that would be you mom. You're the rocker! There are countless kids out there who will never push their personal song through a horn or any other instrument because they don't have someone like you in their corner.

Good Luck.

GPD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast