Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Can anyone help me find a saxophone stencil/cut out?

Long story short, I'm getting an ipod shortly (4G, 20gig) and I have found out that its possible, and quite easy, to brush the metal on the back so its more smooth, not shiny, and won't hold fingerprints or marks, etc.

Some people have done patterns, such as this one..

and especially

Anyhow, I was thinking. If i could find a nice stencil of a sax, or something I could easily cut out to use as a pattern, it would kick complete *** if I could have a sax on the back of my ipod, as well as some other abstract designs around it which id do myself, in order to leave the serial number in tact.

Anyone care to help me find one? Ive searched for sax stencils, but then i just find info about stencils, and what they are in sax terms, not in visual art terms.

MajinX, here's what you can do...

Pick a box of reeds which has a saxophone design such as a box of rico jazz reeds, which has a really neat one IMO. Or any you like.

Undo the box open so it's completely flat. Put it in your computer scanner, enlarge the image of the sax to the size you want with Photoshop or Paintbrush or such. then print it on just plain paper (or if you don't have a scanner, put it in the photocopier machine and enlarged to the size desired)

You'll probably need something thicker than just a plain paper stencil to do your metal brush so:

Take your printed paper (or photocopy) turn it around and stick it with maskingtape on a window. Daylight will allow you to see through. Then using a very thick and soft lead pencil (such as 4B or 6B) color the outline of the saxopophone. Don't be affraid to exceed the lines and make it real dark.

Once you are done take off from window (duh) turn paper around again and stick it with 1 or 2 small pieces of Scotch tape onto a harder, thicker cardboard-like piece of paper (doccument folder would work nice I think) and using a harder lead pencil such as 2H or 4H (HB will work too but you'll probably need to press harder) trace over the contour line of you sax design. The lead pencil on the back will act as carbon paper. Once that's done, remove paper on top.

Using an X-acto knife, cut out your stencil following the outline and voila! There's your stencil
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

thanks.

although, i dont have a computer scanner

so im really looking for one online that i can tinker with. i dont know anyone with a scanner readily available, either.

id want it pretty big, maybe taking up the space from above the seriel numbers, etc, to almost at the top. im gonna keep the seriel numbers un-brushed - im gonna make some sort of pattern over me. ill also do some abstract shapes around the sides of the sax, maybe some music notes, i dunno.

so any help finding something i can use from online?

Well you can use a photocopier if you don't have a scanner, but it's true that that can be complicated aswell.

Try a google search with "pochoir stencil" instead of just "stencil" I bet you'll get more results 8)
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Go to the Google image search and type in saxophone. You should get dozens of returns.