Sax on the Web Forum banner

Removing pits from a metal mouthpiece

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sirspinbad 
#1 ·
I have a Lawton 9* BB bari piece I'd like to sell. It's in good playing condition but it does have some tiny pits in the baffle and chamber. Is this something that's easily fixed by a refacer? Could I do this myself with some type of abrasive like sandpaper? I'd like to get the piece in close to perfect condition before I try to sell it.

#2 ·
smart man!! all you need is caulk remover....soak for 30 minutes and then swab out,or use a neck cleaner...toothbrush can at times work...but be careful...NO sandpaper

oh yeah its a bari piece...a toothbrush works great

#3 ·
The only way to remove pitting is to remove metal, and no amount of soaking or cleaning will accomplish this once it is into the metal of the piece. Removing metal will affect the playing characteristics of the piece, and you would not be able to sell it as original with a clear conscience. Why not just sell it as is for whatever you can, and accept the fact that it's not perfect?

#5 ·
Well, I'll just leave it as it is. The pits are tiny and barely visible and shouldn't affect the playing. I wish I'd been a little more diligent about cleaning when I played this piece. Probably would have avoided the pitting.

#6 ·
ive actually removed pits on my old links!!! and the optical improvement of the piece really makes a big difference!!!

...on the really old stuff I like it clean! I have noticed that 10mfan doesnt seem to do any cleanup on many of his pieces,and im thinking that the other viewpoint might hold...that if someone is buying something REALLY old they WANT it to look old!!!.........who knows

caulk remover does wonders for my HR pieces too!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.