Antigua Winds

Default Chateau Alto Taiwan

I did a search here and did not find much info on Chateau saxophones. I was down at my local band place last week and saw a new Chateau Custom sax in copper bronze lacquer - had rolled toneholes, looked a beauty and played well - all for $1200 or so. From what I can make out the makers of this brand have been making saxophones for 20 or 30 years now. The local shop which usually sells Antigua Winds looks to be switching to this brand for the 'affordable' range.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this brand, how does it compare to other Taiwanese brands - from what I could see, they are very affordable. I'm looking to get my son a new alto for next year and am looking at what is out there.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Default Re: Chateau Alto Taiwan

Are you sure it's from Taiwan?

Undistinguished SOTW Member zorrosg's Avatar

Actually, Chateau has been around for some time, at least 10 yrs or more, as a brand from Taiwan. Before they came out with the Chateau brand, I suspect the company had been making horns for other companies under various house brands, and probably still do. I think overall they make a pretty competent instrument, but it is possible that their cheaper range models may now be made in China. Seems everybody else's is, so it's hard to see why they should be the exception. But probably their more expensive range of saxes are still made in Taiwan.
    Non-distinguished SOTW Member

Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. – Plato

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

I always thought the bulk of their horns were made in Vietnam. Not saying that's bad, I was just wondering whether "Taiwan" in the subject line meant that it's definitely made in Taiwan.

interesting question - it had Taiwan on the side of the sax! The salesguy said, this is our new Chinese sax, but his sales docs said Taiwan. I picked it up and it said Taiwan.

New Jersey Transplant stuck in California.

From my experience they have absolutely no resale value at all. You can't even give them away. I regret ever buying one. I took a bath in it when I sold it.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Chateau is a brand by Tenon I think, they have several sources (also outside of their own company) some from Taiwan some from China some from Vietnam they are all priced accordingly and the level of expectations should be proportioned to the price.
    The Chateau with rolled toneholes should have indeed be made by another Taiwanese company (although Tenon's offices and some facilities are also based on Taiwan). I have a similar one I believe and it is a great horn. Mine looks like this

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Unless you're a dealer or horn flipper buy the tool to make music. The Taiwanese Chateau instruments by Tenon are great horns. This is I know from personal playing experience.

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Eric, was this because the brand name is unknown.

That is a prety horn milandro.

I'm guessing, a good condition used one would be a good buy then?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

if it is the same typeof horn that we are talking about , yes, definitely

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

I played both the Chateau Tenor from Vietnam and Taiwan before settling in with my current horns and thought they both well built and played very well. Rich Maraday of Viking Instruments recently had the same horn Milandro is showing here but with a copper neck and if I were not cash strapped I would not hesitate. He may still have it for sale.

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

New Jersey Transplant stuck in California.

The Chateau that I had was a silver plated alto. It had ribbed construction and played great. My grand son no longer wanted to play the sax so I sold it. It said made in Taiwan on it. The only down side to the horn was the lack of resale value.

FWIW, a buddy of mine bought one of Modman's Chateau tenors about a year or so ago for what I thought was a most reasonable price. He plays mostly alto and wanted a decent tenor. I play mostly tenor and we both thought Modman's horn was really good for the money. It would actually have been good for more money. But my buddy isn't looking to sell. He just wants to play.

BTW, shipped quickly and packed well.

Regards,
    -g