Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default The "Horn Blower" from Hollywoodwinds…

Has anyone seen or tried this? Product won an award for top 50 products of 2011. Seems like a good idea that may help with sticky pads and pad life in general. It also might really help trombonists keep their horns dry. I can't find any info except this one page:

http://www.hollywoodwinds.com/
    Life is too short for long tones

Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: The "Horn Blower" from Hollywoodwinds…

That's right at the top of my list of useless crap NOT to buy in 2011....how gullible do these folks think players are?
    "there are two means of refuge from the misery of life-music and cats," Dr. Albert Schweitzer

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Has anyone seen or tried this? Product won an award for top 50 products of 2011. Seems like a good idea that may help with sticky pads and pad life in general. It also might really help trombonists keep their horns dry. I can't find any info except this one page:

http://www.hollywoodwinds.com/
    here's some more info:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/7795522

Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar

Why don't you just swab out the horn, then use a pad dryer. It's probably a lot cheaper and won't break on you.
    Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Alto: Selmer Ref54, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKI 7, Ishimori (GP) Lig. Vandoren V12 3
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, TMEB refaced by Peter Scott 7*, François Louis Ultimate Lig. Rico Royal 3.5

Forum Contributor 2014

Thanks for the link, Pete. I still think this idea has merit. The baritone sax is impossible to swab out well and I know that some trombone players have become sick from organisms growing in their horns.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010 trice's Avatar

I great idea for trombone. This could potentially solve the respiratory infection problems of trombonists.

Distinguished SOTW Member saxpiece's Avatar

I've heard that Horatio had one.

Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Why not use a hair dryer?
    This is too funny.... I used my wife's hair dryer yesterday after practicing for a couple of hours to see if it helped to dry out my horn. I swabbed it a couple of times first then used the hair dryer on it's lowest heat/highest speed setting. I opened the closed pads and blew them dry. I also aimed the dryer down the bell and then the neck opening. I can see there might be some benefit to all of this.... but it would be very time consuming. If you think further on it.... unless you actually blow the moisture out of the sax, all your doing is accelerating the normal drying of the moisture that is left in the horn. This in my mind would still leave the particulant matter left behind after just natural air drying. I think I will just continue with my normal practice of swabbing it good and drying those few pads that get extra moisture with a piece of pad paper.
    Super 20 Silversonic Tenor 427xxx - Purchased New 1968
    STM Long Body 7* Refaced by Jimmy Jensen with Orange box Rico 2.5

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey613 View Post
    This in my mind would still leave the particulant matter left behind after just natural air drying. I think I will just continue with my normal practice of swabbing it good and drying those few pads that get extra moisture with a piece of pad paper.
    It will - it won't do anything with regard to cleaning the bore of an instrument.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

Forum Contributor 2014

Of course, that would work too. This new product appears to suck air out of the horn rather than blow into it, which is a subtle distinction. A hair dryer would have to be hand-held and this is hands free. I see it as being a better choice for trumpets and bones than sax. But still, it could be useful before putting the sax in the case after playing for a few hours.

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

By the by...I can't find any reference to a '2011 top 50 music products' on t'internet.
    Any ideas where this list might be found?

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

The keyless sax is interesting-that would help my fingering problems!

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Howard View Post
    I can't find any reference to a 2011 top 50 music products' on t'internet.
    I assume it was from NAMM or Music Messe. However, I couldn't find anything (except TEC awards) on the NAMM site, but i do know they give out product awards.

Hi All, here are some information will help, any comments are welcome, more will come soon, thanks
    Horn Blower FAQ
    1. What is the benefit of using HB?
    Ans: a. for health reason, no mold & bacterial. b. Saving money, woodwinds pads will last longer, pad will less likely develop leakage; brass instruments will less likely have corrosion.
    2. How does HB work?
    Ans: the basic principal is to remove moisture from wind instrument as soon as possible, so moisture will do less or no damage on instrument. Horn Blower equips a fan powered by batteries or AC adaptor. It works inside or out side of instrument case.
    3. Will HB cause any damage on pads?
    Ans: No, because Horn Blower speeds up the evaporation process, it remove the moisture by using room temperature air, HB does not use heated air. So it just like how the pads are drying now, but the pads will dry much faster, so the moisture cannot do too much damage to the pads, and the pad will less likely develop leakage too.
    4. What is the idea of the HB
    Ans: Quick: one button solution, it will work in side the case or outside the case, it will work for all winds instruments from saxophone to trumpet. Clean: keep instrument dry, so less likely has mold or bacterial grow in the instrument or case.
    5.How long will HB take to dry an instrument?
    Ans: It is depended on few reasons; a. how long you have play the instrument, b. whom playing the instrument, everyone will put different amount moisture, c. where you live, if you live in New Orleans, it will take a longer d. weather e. season. The HB timer unit has 4 different time settings, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 hrs; Typically, a saxophone only take one hour to dry in a closed case.
    5. How long the batteries will last?
    Ans: the HB timer unit needs four AA batteries, in our lab test; a set of batteries wills last 10 to 15 hours, it is depend on the brand of battery.
    6. How is the fan?
    Ans: we choose HB fan very carefully, it is made by world class manufacture, it move 10 cubic feet of air per minute, and it has 50,000 hours (equals to 5.7 years) of life span.
    7. How many kinds of instrument HB can support?
    Ans: HB can support all winds instruments, currently, HB supports alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, trumpet, cornet, and French horn. In the near future, HB will come out more models to support other winds instruments.
    8. What is the HB’s power source?
    Ans: HB Fan Unit has USB connector, it can be plug into Timer unit using the batteries, plug into a AC adaptor, or a computer/notebook USB port. We are recommending using rechargeable batteries.
    9. What is the operation cost?
    Ans: Less than 4 cents per usage (one hour run time), a set of rechargeable batteries cost $12, and it can be recharged 500 times, and it will last 10 hours, so $12 divided by 5000, it is 2.4 cents, assume the cost of electrical to recharge is one cent, total is 3.4 cents.
    10. I travel a lot, will HR works in different countries?
    Ans: Yes, you can use battery power, or if you want to use AC power, you simply change to different AC adaptor with USB type A connector, this AC adaptor support local AC power standard.
    11. Will the Alto sax HB works on tenor sax?
    Ans: Yes, you can replace the alto sax rubber adaptor to tenor sax version, you can purchase the adaptor from you local dealer.
    12. I bought a HB for my trumpet, will it work for my brother’s saxophone?
    Ans: No, due to the nature difference between these two different kind of instruments, we discovered, for the brass instruments, HB works better by drawing air from the instrument instead of blowing into the instrument.

Forum Contributor 2014

Thanks for the additional information. I didn't realize this would work inside the sax case.

I have seen it. It was at NAMM in Anaheim. Might work really well for those people who play and leave their horns out on a sax stand. It has a removable rubber? gasket that fits alto or tenor. They gave out a one page flyer. The flyer shows (with arrows) air moving form bell to the neck for saxes. and out the bell for trumpets. No technical info. Emphasized words, Clean, Quick, Compact. I may give it a try. The person at the booth said they would be available in February?

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ladon View Post
    I have seen it. It was at NAMM in Anaheim. Might work really well for those people who play and leave their horns out on a sax stand.
    I leave my horns out on stands, and I see absolutely no need to dry them out any quicker than the air around them would do, in fact I'd prefer if they don't dry quickly, I would have thought any movement or changes there might be in the pads (due to shrinkage or whatever) in the drying process is probably going to be worse if the drying out is artificially accelerated. having said that, I doubt it makes any difference, just another electrical item to waste the planet's diminishing source of energy (or is there an eco version?)

I really liked the sticky stop. Not only does it keep the keys pushed open, but it will keep the springs in that position for hours at a time. I wonder if I'll be getting a coupon for a free 100 hour tune up. The $5 bill I stick under the G# pad now needs to be replaced by a $20 just to keep up.
    2005 Yamaha 82Z alto, Bettoney C Melody, 1946 King Zephyr Tenor,
    2004 the Woodwind Soprano,1989 Normandy Clarinet, 2005 Band Now Flute
    1989 smokin' hot Wife who hates Kenny G!

Forum Contributor 2013

My thoughts exactly.....
    "I'll play it and tell you what it is later. "
    Miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast