P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemporary worship horn section arrangements (tenor-tpt-trombone) available at no cost

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

Default Contemporary worship horn section arrangements (tenor-tpt-trombone) available at no cost

Dear SOTW:

I've charted horn section arrangements for well over 100 contemporary worship songs, from Hillsongs to Chris Tomlin, to Israel Houghton, for my own church. Most arrangements are for songs that don't have horns in the original recording.

My charts have been written to accommodate reasonably skilled amateur players (the talent available to me in my own church). In the charts I've written, trombone and trumpet usually double each other on the most critical line, and tenor sax fills out a little harmony. This can be really handy if you have a weak trumpet player or a weak bone player. If one of the two can cover the line strong, you're set. The parts go to three-part harmony when covering block chords, for example, in choruses.

I have spent hundreds of hours making these arrangements. Since I don't have the rights to the songs, I'm making them available to others as free aids to worship music performance- on the condition that the arrangements I share will be used in places of worship where the venue has obtained the proper licensing (such as CCLI) for the live reproduction of the music.

To obtain these charts, left-click my saxguy007 forum name (not my avatar pic) and left-click on either Personal Message or Email, and use that feature to send me your email address. DO NOT REPLY IN THIS THREAD TO GET MY CHARTS! It's not wise to put your email address out there in a forum post, and I don't visit this forum often.

Once I have your email address, I will email a link to you to download a large (100MB) zip file of all my charts from a Google documents account. It takes too much time to pick and choose charts, so I just send everyone a link to get the whole shebang.

Once you download and unzip the file (using any common zip utility), you would just have to get free Finale reader from www.finalemusic.com to open and print them, and even transpose them. Some of my older charts are in ScoreWriter, where I "printed" that chart as a pdf (no transposition possible).

The form of a song might differ between how this church or that one covers the song, but at least you'd get the riffs for the choruses. I would only ask in return that if you successfully use one or more of my charts, perhaps with some adaptation, that you take the time to let me know, so that I might continue bothering to do this.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN YOUR MESSAGE!
    Jim
    Last edited by kcp; 04-10-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: email instruction added by OP request
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Thumbs up Re: Contemporary worship horn section arrangements (tenor-tpt-trombone) available at no cost

That's a wonderful offer, Jim, all the more since these arrangements have been played out there, and therefore must sound good!

Indeed, the least future recipients/users of these can do is to give you feedback, maybe in the form of recordings?
    S: Buffet -- Nicolas Tréfeil refaced unmarked Babbitt; A: Couesnon, Dolnet -- NT refaced Riffault & Meyer 5 replica; T: D&J -- NT modified Riffault; B: Weltklang -- NT refaced Chinese metal mpc

Default Re: Contemporary worship horn section arrangements (tenor-tpt-trombone) available at no cost

Awesome! PM sent.

Default Re: Contemporary worship horn section arrangements (tenor-tpt-trombone) available at no cost

Thank you very much for this offer. Our church has had some success incorporating strings into worship, but I'd love to see how others have used a horn section. (As wonderful as strings are, you can't beat a good horn section.)

award star Re: Contemporary worship horn section arrangements (tenor-tpt-trombone) available at no cost

I tried to message you about getting those horn arrangements but the site would not let me do it. Any ideas?

A reminder: If you want a link to DOWNLOAD MY CHARTS you will need to INCLUDE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS.

Some folks in their zeal are not reading my OP very carefully.
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

That is good to hear that there are some "brass sections" still around in some churches. Most of us got phased out in favor of the more guitars or a solo violin/cello. Most church worship teams follow what our brothers and sisters from Hillsongs do. If they sneeze everybody else sneezes. I was told it was a move from God to reach out to the youth. I was told to take it and walk in love and the church needed more door greeters/parking attendants.

I believed it until I found out that there was a change of music leadership at Hillsongs around 2007 or so. It makes sense that there would be a format change with new leadership. Most of the younger music pastors don't know how to integrate a horn section into current worship format.

Thanks for your efforts Saxguy007. Sorry to vent on your thread.
    MacSax Empyreal Alto Sax, Drake DRJA 5 mpc w/ Double Rail Vintage Resin Ligature
    MacSax Soprano, Drake DRJS 6 mpc Double Rail Vintage Resin Ring Ligature
    MacSax Classic VB Tenor Sax, Drake Son of Slant 7 mpc w/ Double Rail Vintage Resin Ligature

Quote Originally Posted by bill wolfe View Post
    Have you charted "Faith" by Hillsong?
    Sorry, but not that one.

Note everyone that I have been having trouble with google docs a bit lately. On occasion, the link (that is sent by Google Docs to the person with whom I'm trying to share the zip file) is dead. Please be patient and let me try to re upload the file, and send again. Worst case, I burn and mail a CD-rom.
    Last edited by saxguy007; 11-30-2011 at 03:21 PM.

YouTube clip MySpace

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Have any of you guys downloaded these? I keep getting a 404 error message. I would love to know what the trick is for those of you it worked for..............

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Have any of you guys downloaded these? I keep getting a 404 error message. I would love to know what the trick is for those of you it worked for..............
    UPDATE- In response to increasing incidence of dead links sent by Google Docs, I have migrated my platform for the distribution of my charts to the Amazon cloud. All other info of my OP remains the same (especially the part where you need to send me your email address).

YouTube clip MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by bill wolfe View Post
    Have you charted "Faith" by Hillsong?
    my church plays "faith".....i just learned it by ear, i play on tenor sax and alto sax.....i actually just typed up sheet music for our trumpet player for that

Thanks! PM will be sent, if you're still doing this. I only have to horn players (trumpet/cornet), so all I need are these kinds of arrangements. Does anyone have any other resources where they get their charts?

jim, thanks.
    when i mentioned that i messed around with the sax, the worship leader/team asked me to paticipate in worship. they play these kinda songs. i have declined so far because of my lack of sax skills and lack of practice time with the band, but it has been something that interests me. your charts may be just the thing that gives me enough boost to get up there and participate. i've been praying about music for years.
    ps. i could particiapte with guitar but, i figure, there are enough guitar players already, and it kinda bores me, honestly. excited to see your horn charts and the possibility of getting something working. we don't have any other horns - i'd play tenor sax. hopefully it'll still work.
    [edit] Got the file, unzipped and downloaded/installed finale notepad (free). viewed one of the scores in it. alright, jim, i'm set to get going!
    if you could hear what i hear, you'd like it a lot better than what i play.

Jim, thanks for making this available. PM has been sent.
    Keilwerth SX90 Black Nickel tenor, TW Amma and Phil-Tone Tribute
    Cannonball Raven alto, & Selmer Scroll "E" and Greg Weir Meyer killer
    Cannonball Arc soprano, & Barone HR and Yanagisawa metal 7

Bless you for your efforts. Expect my e-mail address via e-mail shortly.

PM sent. Are you still doing this?

I would be very much interested. I will contact you shortly to determine how we can get connected. Thanks for sharing this valuable resource!

Thanks Jim. The link you emailed me worked perfectly....no problem unzipping. This is a wonderful thing you are doing. Steve

Hi there! I'm very interested in this. I'm a trumpet player in NC currently working on composing trumpet parts for some modern songs. This may save a TON of time in the studio. I just sent you an email. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Thank you so much Jim, we're just trying to get a horn section - that is a trumpet, trombone and tenor sax going in our church, no doubt your arrangements will be loads of help! PM incoming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast