Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Hybrid View

Distinguished SOTW Member CONN-hunter's Avatar

Default Re: MartinMods - The Martin Baritone Mouthpiece Matching

That's are great news lance.

Sorry for writing from the exile in Africa but... how about the horns you got to modify them???

There are some horns there in your custody waiting for longer than 1 1/2 year to be completed and you are collecting more work from customers whereas others are still waiting ages for paid work.
    The customer to whom I transferred the rights on my Conn Chu Berry Tenor got a promise from you ... the horn would be finished by End December 2010.
    The same game you did with me, always postponing finishing,:tsk:

in the meantime you lost parts of the horn which has been intact for over 80 years.

Now, you are doing extra work and don't finish the bunch of horns you've been keeping.
    Honor your word first, honor the money paid in advance.
    Honor the confidence people put on you man.

**NOTE:
    I've merged the two ongoing threads about this into one. Sorry if it reads a bit less elegantly as a result, but it is necessary to keep this matter in one confined conversation for continuity. SAXISMYAXE**
    Last edited by SAXISMYAXE; 03-18-2011 at 05:10 AM.

Distinguished SOTW Member Sebastian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CONN-hunter View Post
    That's are great news lance.

Sorry for writing from the exile in Africa but... how about the horns you got to modify them???

There are some horns there in your custody waiting for longer than 1 1/2 year to be completed and you are collecting more work from customers whereas others are still waiting ages for paid work.
    The customer to whom I transferred the rights on my Conn Chu Berry Tenor got a promise from you ... the horn would be finished by End December 2010.
    The same game you did with me, always postponing finishing,:tsk:

in the meantime you lost parts of the horn which has been intact for over 80 years.

Now, you are doing extra work and don't finish the bunch of horns you've been keeping.
    Honor your word first, honor the money paid in advance.
    Honor the confidence people put on you man.
    16 months and counting ...

SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2013

That's really terrible business practice. 16 months wait time, taking on new work, losing parts on an original horn?! Reminds me of the Johannes Gerber fiasco from way back. Hope you get the horn back soon Sebastian.

- Saxaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Saxaholic View Post
    That's really terrible business practice. 16 months wait time, taking on new work, losing parts on an original horn?! Reminds me of the Johannes Gerber fiasco from way back. Hope you get the horn back soon Sebastian.

- Saxaholic
    Thanks man I hope so too. I've tried being patient but I just want the thing back in whatever condition it's in.

SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2013

I would feel exactly the same way; you've been more than patient in a situation where you're the one getting screwed. Admirable. I hope it arrives soon.

- Saxaholic

Thanks for your points guys. You are certainly welcome to start a thread dedicated to how long a complete vintage to Mk6 horn conversion should take at under $800, and what you think of all that. This thread is about mouthpieces, and believe it or not, they help keep the key mod wheels turning, so, oil the mechanism, or throw sand in it, whichever you think will speed things up the most for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMods View Post
    You are certainly welcome to start a thread dedicated to how long a complete vintage to Mk6 horn conversion should take at under $800, and what you think of all that...
    Okay, so how long does a complete vintage to Mk6 horn conversion take at under $800?
    How long does it take at $1,000?
    How long does it take at $5,000?
    How long does it take at $10,000?
    1952 The Martin Tenor Silver - RPC 110R
    1928 Buescher TT Soprano (straight) - Selmer Super Session H

The Corsicans Website
    My Solo Website

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yofis View Post
    Okay, so how long does a complete vintage to Mk6 horn conversion take at under $800?
    How long does it take at $1,000?
    How long does it take at $5,000?
    How long does it take at $10,000?
    Great point. If >$800 isn't enough to do the job in a timely manner then charge more for it. IMO the OP has amazing patience...
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

You are certainly welcome to start a thread dedicated to how long a complete vintage to Mk6 horn conversion should take at under $800
    always the same excuse!
    why do you make for the customers such quotation then?
    Ask the price you find right and make the horn finished without missing parts for example.

Also another bad practice is to tell customers the horn is finished!! just needing alignment and polishing and then telling 2 weeks later... Opss. I can't find parts of the horn!!

But was the horn not finished as told??

your practice Lance brought me a lost of at least 2.500 U$, just for your information buddy.

And why so much money? it was the amount I spent buying the horn (1,100U$) in fantastic condition. I let it be overhauled in Germany, made some mods.
    Later I sent it to you paying in advance for mods, paid the shipping to USA and everything.

When did it all happen?

August 2009.

We are now by??? March 2011.

Where is the horn?
    Who knows!!

So don't tell any longer stories. I should have my beloved horn by me here in Uganda right now, making the native people and myself happy here.

It's a thread of mouthpieces but we will not give you rest until you send back the proprietary of serious people out there.

By the way..

the transformation of my former Chu Berry pinky table to a Mk 6 style began in September 2009 , the same time I got the first pics from you. it means 18 months by now.

Send the proprietary back man, come on.
    Did you manage to find new parts to replace the nice original ones you lost?

I told you to not disappoint the new owner of the horn... EricM but you are playing with him now the same game.

Exclamation Administrator note.

I have started this new thread with the above complaint posts, as this is a problem that has been reported to me MULTIPLE times by quite a few members, and is of a more than passing concern. Especially since these transactions have all been with SOTW members.

Since the date that these reports were submitted to me, enough time has passed that resolution should have taken place. I was asked to keep quite until/unless all avenues to retrieve their property had been exhausted. That time has come and gone.

Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: Martin Mods/Lance Burton.

Can't say I didn't try...

I sent my horn to Lance near the end of September 2009. When we talked, he wanted a 10M to put on his site so he said he could do his conversion for $500 and that he would need six weeks. In the meantime, Lance moved with my horn from Florida to Washington which I had no idea of. Every time I asked about the horn, it was another excuse from his personal life. He has told me that he is trying very hard to get by financially, so I have offered to pay more to get this over with. To be fair, Lance never accepted more money. However, I was leaving my job in the Canadian army band to apprentice with Ted Klum and needed a tenor to test out horns and just to play on (I sold my dear Selmer Balanced Action to pay down my line of credit before my move to the US) and actually had to borrow money to buy an inexpensive Chu here on the Forum ....
    I have asked several times to have my horn sent back as is ... I didn't care how far it was, send my parts and horn back and I will find a way for someone else to put it together. I asked to forget about the conversion, as I understood there were pads already (??? don't know haven't seen a picture in forever) and the conical neck tenon was done I think, that leaves the LH conversion and the hole where the F# key was supposed to be removed and repositioned.
    Why haven't I gotten my horn back?

Wow, this is poor business practice.
    YSS-82Zr Warburton 'D' Series 5
    YAS-62iiS Jody Jazz DVNY 7/Mouthpiece Cafe 'Espresso'
    YTS-82Z Morgan Fry 'Floridated' Link

Please, could someone go to Seatle and recover all these horns , please.

Forum Contributor 2011 clwomack's Avatar

How long does it take to compose almost 2800 usually very long-winded posts?

Deja vu all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by jbtsax View Post
    Deja vu all over again?
    Wow! All this sounds real familiar!

Frankly this thread stinks and probably was detined to go that way. It's natural to feel aggrieved when one is wronged but this borders on the worst of the pack mentailty that this forum and others can degenerate into. The court of public opinion can never be just and fair and this is exactly why. Just maybe this pack is tearing up a clearly talented guy who has tried to make a business out of his talent, just maybe he has overstretched his ability to manage and deliver, who knows but just maybe his life is in a bit of a mess at the moment.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by paulio View Post
    Frankly this thread stinks and probably was detined to go that way. It's natural to feel aggrieved when one is wronged but this borders on the worst of the pack mentailty that this forum and others can degenerate into. The court of public opinion can never be just and fair and this is exactly why. Just maybe this pack is tearing up a clearly talented guy who has tried to make a business out of his talent, just maybe he has overstretched his ability to manage and deliver, who knows but just maybe his life is in a bit of a mess at the moment.
    Maybe you didn't read Saxismyaxe's posts to the effect that Lance has been given every opportunity to make this right and has failed or refused to do so. If anything, the rest of the people whose horns are tied up need to join in the discussion so we can all get a better picture of the scope of the situation.

As to "lost" parts, that's inexcusable. What's he doing, running a saxophone repair Ponzi scheme by scavenging parts from newer projects to complete old and then waiting for fresh projects to come in to provide additional replacement parts?

As for the "experimental work" mumbo jumbo above, my head is left spinning.

Where I don't have to boil the water before I drink it..

Quote Originally Posted by paulio View Post
    Frankly this thread stinks and probably was detined to go that way. It's natural to feel aggrieved when one is wronged but this borders on the worst of the pack mentailty that this forum and others can degenerate into. The court of public opinion can never be just and fair and this is exactly why.
    I agreed with your point until I read the entire thread and came to SAXISMYAXE's Comment:"No Jacques, it is not as simple as you would so cavalierly have it. This forum board was used to solicit business by Lance, and there is a laundry list of problems that have not been addressed or settled with many of our members."

As long as there is no libel committed, and as long as MartinMods' membership isn't revoked, thus making it impossible for him to defend himself, SOTW has a right to keep the thread active. The thread hasn't degenerated into a court of public opinion. I think that SOTW is exercising good judgment in keeping the thread open in the interest of the wronged members.

I think that the lawyers in the ranks of the membership would probably agree.

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast