Sax on the Web Forum banner

What is a Beaugnier tenor worth?

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  sax-ony 
#1 ·
Since I will be looking for a baritone sax soon, I need to sell some items. Mostly guitars, but I may have to let go of the Beaugnier. It is a nickel plated Fabrication Artistique tenor, sn 6717. Has very few dings, also some scratches but overall a very shiny sax still. Pads are not new but still do the job. I will have the dents removed and the sax cleaned up. The only damage to the lacquer is the underside of the thumb rest where the brass is coming through. The engraving is crisp and clear as is the sn.

Realistically,what could I expect to get for this sax?

#2 ·
For value we'll need some pics.

#4 ·
Value.... depends whether you're throwing in the (supp. original) Superman cape.

If the intonation is very good, then it's worth as much as a Vito stencil. Sounds funny but I have tried Beaugnier stamped horns which were not as good as their Vito stencils! (maybe a QC issue?). I hope yours is a good number!:|

#5 ·
Haha I don't know what happened to the cape, it's been awhile! Intonation is fine, it is a very nice playing horn, never had any issues with it. Whatever the tech says needs attention will be done, but I'm guessing it will be minimal. Forgive my ignorance, but I have really no clue in regards to sax value anymore so I don't know what a Vito goes for. I also have a Buescher Aristocrat alto, sn 385xxx with most of the lacquer gone and was told it is pretty much worthless...plays lovely though...

#6 ·
The Buescher is probably worth more -- particularly in playing condition.

#8 ·
#10 ·
I had the neck brace placed by a tech after the Superman pictures were taken. Originally it did not have a brace and whenever I put some pressure on top of the mpc, the octave key would lift. The tech did a real nice job with the brace and made it look as if it belongs.

#12 ·
My bad! SN is 6716.

It does not have the G# spatula no, I thought that was on Special Perfect Beaugniers only.

It also does not have the front F# keybut I guess that was pretty common back then. I played it a bit yesterday and it plays really really good, much better than mu Kohlert with rolled tone holes, although in fairness that one could stand to have a few pads replaced!

I can easily go from that smooth airy sound to biting and screaming rock and roll and that's with a JD Hite mpc and #2.5 reeds! When I used to play years ago, I had a metal Berg Larsen 105/2 on it with #3.5 reeds and the sound was stunning.

I need to dust it off and clean it up and since the Kohlert needs some work I will go ahead and get the Beaugnier overhauled as well. My initial thought yesterday was that this sax isn't going anywhere, it plays too dang well! But I really want a baritone sax again so something's gotta give.

#15 ·
Both the one in the photo and another I had with the same features are/were very good horns indeed. No doubt yours is just as solid and probably it plays as well: I was simply drawing attention to the cheaper finish and the simplified, and therefore cheaper, key work.

Also, you speculated that the lack of a front was because of the age of the instrument. It isn't: older examples of the same model have an exceptionally good front F.

I had the neck brace placed by a tech after the Superman pictures were taken. Originally it did not have a brace
The 'Fabrication Artistique' tenors did have a neck brace originally. Yours was probably knocked off before you acquired it.

I'm trying to help with value here, since that was the purpose of your thread. It is a less desirable variant of an obscure model, in only average condition and without a front F. I suspect it isn't worth overhauling in order to sell it. If it were me, I'd be happy to take $500.00 in its current condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.