P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Selmer rods?

Forum Contributor 2008

Default Selmer rods?

Hi,
    I was wondering if any one knew a source for rods ( looking for long rod, lower stack in particular) for a Mark VI, mid 60's? Did they have standardized sizes? I have purchased some rod stock from Ferees and have one unsuccessful threading done of rod which resulted in broken die. If no known source of vintage rods can anyone suggest another source in addition to Ferees for rod stock and small dies for woodwind work?
    Thanks!
    DB

Default Re: Selmer rods?

The die broke because you need to reduce the diameter of the rod to the outside diameter of the thread by grinding rod (#35) size about .110" to .96" ( ... info from notes taken during overhaul of VI ) I believe that VII rod will fit .. at least its the same diameter and thread

Often, a store that sells machine tools, dies, bits, etc will have a wide assortment of drill rod available at not so much cost.

Distiguished SOTW Tech

Quote Originally Posted by defortb View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if any one knew a source for rods ( looking for long rod, lower stack in particular) for a Mark VI, mid 60's? Did they have standardized sizes? I have purchased some rod stock from Ferees and have one unsuccessful threading done of rod which resulted in broken die. If no known source of vintage rods can anyone suggest another source in addition to Ferees for rod stock and small dies for woodwind work?
    Thanks!
    DB
    ENCO, McMaster-Carr, and others sell drill rod and dies. If you don't have a lathe, benchmotor or other means to reduce the end to the appropriate diameter, then take your horn to a repair tech or a machinist and have thm make the rods. A watch maker/clockmaker can do this too.