P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Original Pads?

Default Original Pads?

Hi. I just saw a "Chu" alto fs on ebay, (#290532063671), with some great pics. I've got one just like this, (bought from an SOTW member), but with newer pads, hence my interest. The pics of this sax show white pads. What do the experts say? Are these the original pads? Thanks for the info.

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Default Re: Original Pads?

In the words of the seller:

Up for auction is a stunning 1929 Conn Chu Berry Alto Saxophone" . I have just had the sax rebuilt with all new pads. The sax is a sweet player with deep rich tones. The condition is good with some small dings and scratches and other imperfections comes with a new case but no mouthpiece.
    But the brown plastic reso's are what would give it away if that weren't mentioned.

White pads with brown plastic resos? Eeewwwww. . . . . Everyone knows that white roo pads look better with silver resos, especially on silver plated saxophones.

Correction. I just looked at the eBay ad and it appears that the pads have the flat silver resonator with rivet in the center. All is well.

Oops. Showing my ignorance once again! Thanks for your expertise.

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Correction. I just looked at the eBay ad and it appears that the pads have the flat silver resonator with rivet in the center. All is well.
    Ahh, there is one picture that definitely makes them look like riveted resonators. The other pictures looked a bit brown to my eyes...maybe I need to have them checked (my eyes that is ).

But I don't find brown reso's on white roo to be all that horrific...the combination does remind me a bit of an oreo though .