P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: RPC Alto Mouthpiece

Default RPC Alto Mouthpiece

Has anyone out there played one of these mouthpieces on alto?
    I have been searching for a mouthpiece that gives me everything I want.
    I want a warm, fuzzy, dark sound, but I also want edge and projection when I need it. The RPC website has raving reviews about the pieces.
    Any info on these pieces would be greatly appreciated.
    Soprano: 2007 Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series Raven, Selmer S80 D, Rascher
    Alto: 2009 Cannonball Vintage Series Unlacquered Lady Godiva, MacSax FJIII 9, Rascher
    Tenor: 2011 P. Mauriat 66RDK, HR Link, Metal Yani, Rascher

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Default Re: RPC Alto Mouthpiece

I play one, and have some soundclips of how versatile they are.

From this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tamingth.../7/3T6jIe7sQuA

to this

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-altissimo.html (mango banana track)

Nice, nice, nice mpcs.
    Alto: Selmer S-III S/S, Toneking Special: Vand. A27, RPC 90R, Cheong "Custom Made".
    Tenor: 10M RTH, SBA, Ref. 54: Vand. T20, Freddie Gregory M-II/IV 7**.
    Sop: Selmer S-III, Yani SC900u: Vand. S25, RPC. Bari: Ybs 61: Vand. B35/B75.

They're great mouthpieces, and Ron can set you up with whatever you want. I like the rollover better than the high baffle.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

To search for more about them on the site, add an asterik to the search, as three letters alone don't work: "rpc*"

Thanks, guys. I will try searching *RPC instead of just RPC. I enjoyed the sound clips. It's nice to hear the piece in action.
    I have been considering an RPC over an SR Tech Polycarbonate Legend 85. I will soon be playing a Keilwerth Shadow alto. Any opinions as to how well the RPC pieces play on a Keilwerth?
    Soprano: 2007 Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series Raven, Selmer S80 D, Rascher
    Alto: 2009 Cannonball Vintage Series Unlacquered Lady Godiva, MacSax FJIII 9, Rascher
    Tenor: 2011 P. Mauriat 66RDK, HR Link, Metal Yani, Rascher

I have one labeled '.90B' and one labeled '.90'. The latter has hardly any baffle so it must be the roll-over model. I bought both used so I don't know how they were ordered from Ron.
    I have tested quite few pieces for alto and the RPC's are as good as any or better. The high baffle model goes from really mellow to 'almost Sanborn' and the roll-over model does not get as bright but has more oomph on the mellow end. I prefer the sound of the roll-over but it seems to be bit too large chamber for my current horn so it's slightly difficult to play in tune (I need to push in too much). It would be great for a vintage horn that likes larger chambers I guess.
    I assume if you tell Ron you need one for Keilwerth he will make it to match the requirements of the horn.
    One thing to mention is that compared to meyer 6m these pieces are very loud due to the large tip opening. It requires much more work to play quietly with a good tone.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ldaniels27 View Post
    Thanks, guys. I will try searching *RPC instead of just RPC.
    Make that RPC*

I have been considering an RPC over an SR Tech Polycarbonate Legend 85.
    I was playing the L85 prior to picking up a 90 rollover RPC second hand. The L85 is a perfectly fine mouthpiece, and is one of the better modern Meyer-type alto pieces out there. I found I preferred the more open RPC in comparison though, and have been with that on alto for years now.

Any opinions as to how well the RPC pieces play on a Keilwerth?
    I can't think of a reason why it would be any different to any other saxophone. But as with any RPC, the best thing is to speak to Ron about your playing and your current setup. He's the best person to answer that as it's a custom mouthpiece that he makes for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jokunen View Post
    One thing to mention is that compared to meyer 6m these pieces are very loud due to the large tip opening. It requires much more work to play quietly with a good tone.
    I've never noticed that (I played a 6m before the RPC)

Thanks, guys. I will try searching *RPC instead of just RPC. I enjoyed the sound clips. It's nice to hear the piece in action.
    I have been considering an RPC over an SR Tech Polycarbonate Legend 85. I will soon be playing a Keilwerth Shadow alto. Any opinions as to how well the RPC pieces play on a Keilwerth?
    Moody liked them on his keilwerth tenor.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Been playing one for a decade.
    macsax.com
    mingofishtrap.com - I don't play with 'em anymore but they still kick butt. Check them out.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by shortwhite View Post
    Been playing one for a decade.
    Shortwhite...

Get down with your bad self...

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar

Ron has a NEW 90BH model available now. I tried it last week and it's fabulous. Plays smooth but can be pushed bright while staying warm. Intonation spot on...He makes great pieces...

Forum Contributor 2011 jazzbird's Avatar

Hi blowers,
    I have had for alto and tenor, in both cases the rollover model, because I like the dark sound, and can only say that they are wonderful.

It has been my main mouthpiece until buy my Meyer NY and sent it to Brian Powell, which is, without doubt, the best mouthpiece I've ever played.

The hard rubber have an extraordinary quality and laugh a beautiful warm sound but fat. It's the closest thing to Meyer NY that I've played .
    I have also used Jody Jazz HR, Vandoren V16, modern Meyer, Tonalin, Super Session, Soloist... and none is comparable to the RPC in my humble opinion.

Baffle model is brighter and has more projection, but not the kind of sound that I like for jazz.

I have a serious problems in the mouth and I can't play with very open mouthpieces, and Ron gave me a 75 for alto and a 95 for tenor and the result is extraordinary for me. Easy, free blowing, and very kind.
    Among other factors, I divide the Mouthpieces in friendly and unfriendly an this mouthpiece in friendly

Ron is one of the best

Keep swinging