Antigua Winds

Default EBAY 1957 Selmer Mark VI Tenor for sale!

Hi Guys,

It's my first time posting on here so I'm sorry if I break some forum rules, my boss wants me to expose this horn we've got on some some sax forums and such. But anyway, I've got an actual Mark VI Tenor for sale on ebay at the moment if anyone is interested. It's a 1957 with the matched neck and original case! 90% original lacquer and a 5 digit serial number. You can message me for more details or just check out the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_8294wt_905
    Last edited by kcp; 01-21-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: title modified to meet with marketplace rules

Default Re: 1957 Selmer Mark VI Tenor for sale!

"The neck is original to the horn, matched at the factory for fit and tone, which is why the neck serial number is 5 digits higher than the saxophone's"

That is a hard statement to understand
    Chris

Tenor: Couesnon Series II Monopole; Barone V7*; Vandoren Java #3
    Alto: Couesnon Series II Monopole; Barone J6M; Vandoren Java #3
    Alto: Yanagisawa A-600 (Vito VSP); Otto Link slant sig. (Wolfe Tayne face) 5*; Vandoren Java #3
    Soprano: Buescher TT (1926); Barone V7; Vandoren Java #2.5
    Clarinet: Bb Leblanc Opus; Morgan RM15; Vandoren "56" #3
    Clarinet: Bb Evette & Schaeffer (Buffet E13 1961); Selmer C85/120; Vandoren "56" #3

Forum Contributor 2011 swingguy's Avatar

Basically according to standard descriptive nomencalture the neck is NOT a match if it doesn't bear the same number as the body. In truth many "matching" necks are not as good on the original horn as another might be, but when it comes to perceived value of a vintage instrument the exact matching (same number) neck is very important.

Actually, didn't the Selmer serial numbers get stamped on the necks AFTER they were matched to the body for fit etc? That's my understanding: someone please correct me if that's wrong.

Well back when they were being imported to the US the factory they came to would test them and match the necks tonally which is why they have the different serial numbers. This is a one owner horn and this neck is the one he got with the horn. There are many Mark VI horns with very close, but different serial numbers because of this tonal matching that they did.

Not to debate, but I just know from researching for a friend who has a 1957 Mark VI tenor that because the neck and body don't match on his horn (not by much either) the value is "significantly" lessened. This came from a survey of several major retailers of vintage horns.

I am not sure where you are coming up with and verifying your info, but as far as I know the necks were matched in Paris, along with keys etc. If you look at paris assembled horns, the necks do not have serial numbers, however the serial numbers or partial serial numbers are inscribed on the necks underneath the cork and/or inside the tenon. The same goes for many of the keys, partial serial numbers scratched onto the underside of them. These revelations can also occasionally be found on some US assembled horns as well. As far as I know, Selmer horns were sent here in pieces to avoid import duties on musical instruments, rather than musical instrument parts. This does not mean they simply sent over buckets of miscellaneous keys and neck and bodies for the US factory to put together haphazardly.

If your neck does not share the same serial number as the body, that is because it IS NOT the original neck. I have never ever heard this story except coming from a seller of a horn with a mis-matched numbered neck, and it is always the same, as if the seller was there in the factory, and we know the answer to that.

The original could have had an issue or been lost or destroyed even recently after purchase, not unheard of. Either way, no matter how you spin it, it is not original. Regardless of what I think, or you think, the market will let you know, by the horn simply not selling for the value of a horn with an original neck.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post

If your neck does not share the same serial number as the body, that is because it IS NOT the original neck. I have never ever heard this story except coming from a seller of a horn with a mis-matched numbered neck, and it is always the same, as if the seller was there in the factory, and we know the answer to that.

The original could have had an issue or been lost or destroyed even recently after purchase, not unheard of. Either way, no matter how you spin it, it is not original. .
    +1 in agreement
    "there are two means of refuge from the misery of life-music and cats," Dr. Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
    The original could have had an issue or been lost or destroyed even recently after purchase, not unheard of. Either way, no matter how you spin it, it is not original. Regardless of what I think, or you think, the market will let you know, by the horn simply not selling for the value of a horn with an original neck.
    True dat! :-)

Well.... That's cool and all buuuut... for one thing the original owner told us the complete history of this individual horn from pad changes to set ups. Second, has anyone ever tried finding a replacement neck for a 1957 horn that was THAT close to the same serial number? Pretttty hard to do.. Also we've had conversations with old Elkhart Selmer employees who are frequent customers of ours (first people we called when it came through our door) who have verified that they used to pass necks amongst each other to get better feels and sounds when they were quality checking and assembling. We had our suspisions as well but after talking with them and taking a step back and actually thinking about how hard it would be to get serial numbers that close together, we think we're pretty dead on... OH and I'm only 20 years old so I'm not even going to try and act like I was in the factory but I will take the word of someone who WAS in the factory... C=

Not saying who is right but something to chew on from the wiki files

Early examples of these saxophones have a serial number on the neck of the saxophone. It is believed that they were stamped with a serial number prior to exportation in France so that they could be matched upon arrival in the US. Eventually this practice was dropped. It is also believed that not all saxophones leaving the Elkhart factory had matching neck and body serial numbers. Technicians in the US also purportedly swapped necks to optimize the sound, which leads some to believe that American saxophones have better quality control than its French-assembled sibling. In the Japanese market, American Mark VIs are seen as more oriented toward jazz, whereas French saxophones are seen as catered to classical.

BTW DCM welcome to the forum, good luck selling your bosses horn, as an aside I have nor personal or business affiliation with DCM. Jay.

Fact is the neck may well have been changed before sale, and it may indeed have been a better neck than the original ... BUT the sad reality is that if they could have seen onto the future they'd have seen a world where buyers of vintage saxophones want exact matching numbers. Sounds like a great horn you have there regardless of neck numbers and all.