Sax on the Web Forum banner

Selmer AS500 - Got it cheap!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Preference 54 
#1 ·
Hard-shell Selmer case, strap, mpc/lig/cap and a box of 10 Vandoren 2 1/2 reeds. Horn as close to new-looking as I've ever seen. Only 2 problems. 4C original mpc chipped. No big deal cuz it's a cheap one. The spring for either the low B or Bb slipped off its post. A simple fix. Pads, corks, etc. all perfect. Paid the guy $200 for it. Put it on Craigslist same day for $500 OBO. I didn't really want an alto but the deal was too good to turn down. If it doesn't sell I'll pick up a new mpc and keep it for a while.

Heck of it is I have found few sites where the 500 is reviewed. Lots of 300 and 600 but no 500. Funny thing is everything I've seen about the 600 says the 500 is the more expensive horn. For sure there are all the newest features on it. I found a couple sites where the person complaining about the keywork made no sense to me. Keywork on the horn is pretty much the same as on my tenor but better.

I was able to play the horn a little by putting a used Rico tenor reed on the chipped mpc. For whatever reason the Vandoren reeds didn't want to work. Even with that goofy set up the horn plays pretty nicely. I think with a new mpc it will be a winner.

I also have a junker - barely playable "Mexiconn" 1970 tenor coming - free! I haven't been able to beat that price yet:( There's a freelance repair guy in my area who I'll have take a look at the horn to see what it will take to make it playable.

I wonder if there are any more good deals in the offing?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am not sure where Selmer is going....seems like the recent promotion is all on 300 and 600... I still think that AS500 is still be best value sax that they offer. I really hope they can improve their quality on 300 and 600..it's really a shame that such the recent Selmer has decided to put profit over quality.

#3 ·
Hard-shell Selmer case, strap, mpc/lig/cap and a box of 10 Vandoren 2 1/2 reeds. Horn as close to new-looking as I've ever seen. Only 2 problems. 4C original mpc chipped. No big deal cuz it's a cheap one. The spring for either the low B or Bb slipped off its post. A simple fix. Pads, corks, etc. all perfect. Paid the guy $200 for it. Put it on Craigslist same day for $500 OBO. I didn't really want an alto but the deal was too good to turn down. If it doesn't sell I'll pick up a new mpc and keep it for a while.

Heck of it is I have found few sites where the 500 is reviewed. Lots of 300 and 600 but no 500. Funny thing is everything I've seen about the 600 says the 500 is the more expensive horn. For sure there are all the newest features on it. I found a couple sites where the person complaining about the keywork made no sense to me. Keywork on the horn is pretty much the same as on my tenor but better.

I was able to play the horn a little by putting a used Rico tenor reed on the chipped mpc. For whatever reason the Vandoren reeds didn't want to work. Even with that goofy set up the horn plays pretty nicely. I think with a new mpc it will be a winner.

I also have a junker - barely playable "Mexiconn" 1970 tenor coming - free! I haven't been able to beat that price yet:( There's a freelance repair guy in my area who I'll have take a look at the horn to see what it will take to make it playable.

I wonder if there are any more good deals in the offing?
Add-on. I got the Conn yesterday. Its a '67 USA, Nogales, Arizona. Needs work. I'm not going to keep it, I'll either sell it or donate it to some charity. Its "playable."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.