Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2014 Jacques5646's Avatar

Default Re: Jazz camp for adults, has anyone attended one of these recently?

Quote Originally Posted by jaz9090 View Post
    So do they happen in the UK as well as the US?
    They used to ! They stopped organizing them for financial reasons three years ago, hence my going to the States !
    J
    (Jazz) is a lot of wrong notes...especially people who play jazz saxophone. Spinal Tap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH1pw4EMe4g (1:20; 2:05)

Bari Conn 11 M, N238xxx; Mpcs: Silver Barone "made with pride 2002"; Drake Crossover I. Tenor King Cleveland Super 20, 267xxx; Mpc: Barone Hollywood 7*; Barone Trad/Contemp II 8*Flute Sankyo Silverite; Haynes head

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

Does anybody know of any in southern California?
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

So do they happen in the UK as well as the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques5646 View Post
    They used to ! They stopped organizing them for financial reasons three years ago, hence my going to the States!
    I looked into that when I was in Germany and found the costs unreasonable. I could get the same quality instruction in the Italian Workshops I mentioned above for TWO weeks for the same or less cost than five days at the Aebersold/England.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Returning Saxophonist
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    I looked into that when I was in Germany and found the costs unreasonable. I could get the same quality instruction in the Italian Workshops I mentioned above for TWO weeks for the same or less cost than five days at the Aebersold/England.
    That's quite a big difference! I wish it was cheaper over here.
    Jimmy

Yani A991, NY Cafe Bros HR

That's quite a big difference! I wish it was cheaper over here.
    Hop a train.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Member

So, Vermont v. Abersold (in the U.S.) looks to be about $1600 v. $900. For anyone who may have been to both, can you comment on the value?

Distinguished SOTW Member

I hate to comment on that which I know little about(I have been to neither), but I think the VT one is much smaller, and in amore idyllic location, and is adults only (not in a XXX sort of way...)

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

Haven't been to either yet but looking at the websites it seems like Abersold appears to be aimed at young people, instruction oriented, small group-oriented, and much larger in the number of participants. Vermont seems to be looking for "mature" players, performance-oriented, big band oriented, and only about 70-80 people -- which is why I ponied up for it.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Gold Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1980-something Yamaha YBS-61 Baritone -- Strathon 8*

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

Distinguished SOTW Member DanPerezSax's Avatar

I know a couple guys (my student and his brother) who went to Aebersold last year. One of them is VERY good, and they both came back raving.

Returning Saxophonist
    Forum Contributor 2014

Are these only for pro musicians or amateurs too?
    Jimmy

In every promo for a workshop I've read, they usually specify. Just read around the brochure or posted information on each camp and it should say. Some even have some tips on how to prepare for the camp.

FWIW - and I know this is personal - but I personally wouldn't go to an all-adult summer workshop. I love having the various ages around. It makes for an interesting mix. For any adults who are thin-skinned though, it might not be a good fit. I've never been to a workshop yet that didn't have young people in attendance who could smoke me.

There was only one incident in about seven or eight workshops that I went to, where one of these guys was so arrogant that he had an attitude towards me. If I hadn't worked professionally with some of the biggest buttwipes in the world, it might have been a bit humiliating. But that's only one out of maybe thousands, all totalled, and I can take it.

Normally, the younger musicians think it's cool that there are older, yet intermediate, players in attendance, and they often give you props for doing it.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

Jazz Camp West is aimed primarily at amateurs, but there are some pros/semi-pros who will attend as well, and some amateurs using the camp to help them turn pro. It is structured for adults, but high school students who are recommended by their teachers (I think for both playing ability and maturity) can attend as well, and there are usually a pretty good number of them.

Returning Saxophonist
    Forum Contributor 2014

I am definitely an amateur, but well aware that there are many younger people who are much much better than me!
    Jimmy

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

I am definitely an amateur, but well aware that there are many younger people who are much much better than me!
    Me too.

I went to Aebersold's camp in '06 and had a really good time- it's pretty tough to beat for the price when you figure in the food and lodging. The best parts of it for me were the lunchtime & evening concerts and the small group combo (I was in Pat Harbison's group). Like most things you get out of it what you put into it but there is something to be said for "living jazz" morning, noon, and night for a whole week. I also attended the 2-day Anyone Can Improvise weekend session since I was traveling so far to get there- I didn't really think that was worth the extra time and expense and I wouldn’t recommend it unless it saves you money on your flight costs.

I don't think I realized how much I had gotten out of the week until I was home for about two weeks and had a chance to reflect on everything. While you are there you are just absorbing so much at once you don't have time to process it all. If I were to go again the one thing I would do differently is attend the sessions I wanted to attend. Jamey is a very structured guy and the camp is very well organized but IMO in some ways it is too structured. Once they decide what level you are, you are placed in a particular group which has a preordained itinerary for each day. Some of the master classes my group was assigned to were not very useful for me and I would have been better served going to others.

It also depends a little on what type of player you are. This camp is geared mostly to high school and maybe freshman level college students and then retired folks many of which are getting back into playing more seriously after many years of “life”. If you are a semi-pro between say 30 and 50 like I was, you aren’t going to find too many others in this demographic, at least I didn’t.

Overall I think it is a great experience and if you have the time and money I would recommend it at least once or twice. I don’t see the point in going every year for 10 years since I don’t believe Jamey changes the format much from year to year. If I had the time, money and desire to go to band camp every year I’d go to different ones each time.

Just my $.02

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by stormott77 View Post
    Does anybody know of any in southern California?
    Yep... there's one at UC San Diego:

http://jazzcamp.ucsd.edu/

I keep thinking about going to a camp, and for whatever reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I take lessons with a great teacher, but I'd love to live the monastic life for a week and just focus on my chops. Not sure which workshop would be a good fit, and what the heck I'd bring--I don't really want to fly with the baritone.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bari_sax_diva View Post
    Yep... there's one at UC San Diego:

http://jazzcamp.ucsd.edu/

I keep thinking about going to a camp, and for whatever reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I take lessons with a great teacher, but I'd love to live the monastic life for a week and just focus on my chops. Not sure which workshop would be a good fit, and what the heck I'd bring--I don't really want to fly with the baritone.
    Are you thinking of going to the UC San Diego camp. If your in L.A. you should just drive or take the train. By the way thanks for the link!
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

One camp that hasn't been noted on here is the Tritone Jazz Fantasy (http://tritonejazz.com/). It's for adults only (21+) and is quite an experience. They strive to keep the camper:instructor ratio very low (usually 5ish:1) and the instructors are all amazing (players, teachers, people).
    Tenor: Yamaha YTS-61 (Otto Link STM/Fibracell, Selmer Soloist D/Vandoren BB) || Alto: Yamaha YAS-61 (Vandoren V16 A6S/Vandoren Java)
    Bari: Weltklang 3xxx (Vandoren V16 B9/RJS) || Clarinet: Selmer Series 9 (John Pierce/Vandoren BB)

I have been to both the Aebersold and Jazz Vermont Camps. The first year I started goint to jazz camps I went to both (2004). I was 43y/o at the time.

2 different animals.... so it depends on what you are looking for in a jazz camp.

Aebersold Camp: I did the 2 day weekend workshop followed by the weeklong camp. Very intense experience. Just a ton of information. You'll get plenty of information to go back home and work on. Combo experience is really dependent on the players in the group but for me it was a lot of fun. Like everyone else said it is worth the money just to listen to the lunchtime and evening concerts by the guest artists. There are a lot of people (300-400). Most are younger (teens), but plenty of adults. Things are very regimented. You feel like cattle being rounded up at times. Not much commaradire as everyone is busy going back and forth between classes, combos, concerts, meals, etc. I stayed a local hotel rather than in the dorms so maybe I missed some of the social stuff in the dorms.

Jazz Vermont: I will be going this year. It will be my seventh year. I go back more for the 'hang' as I do for the music. We have made a lot of friends over the years. The caliber of musicians is all over the board. Some beginners and some real good players. You are placed in big band or octet / nonet and spend all your time (6-8hrs per day) playing with these guys/gals, so you get to know them very well. Most are older adults (40's +). All are passionate about playing which is one of the reasons it is a great hang. There band directors and guest artists are there for the hang also. You have access to them all day and night. Many give private lessons but they very open for questions / discussions. It is located in a very nice ski lodge in Vermont. Fun jam sessions and faculty concerts at night and the bar is open until late. The weak side is there is little or no academic work or instrument masterclasses. All of you playing is in ensembles, mostly big bands. The only small combo type playing is in a few samller groups or jam sessions. If you are looking for a great hang and a lot of playing you will enjoy this camp. I'm going back this year..... if you decide to go, look me up I one of the few bari players.

Rick D (xraydog)

I know some folks who attended

http://www.augustaheritage.com/swing.html

They seemed to like it, but I am not sure how intense it is.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast