P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jazz camp for adults, has anyone attended one of these recently?

Default Jazz camp for adults, has anyone attended one of these recently?

Hey guys,

I am thinking about going to the Jamey Aebersold summer jazz workshop this year. They have a 2-day "anyone can improvise" workshop which can then be followed by a week-long camp (including theory, aural training, master classes, and group / combo sessions) and would be interested in hearing about anyone's first-hand experience.

Also, I know there are several of these camps across the country but in my research I found that Jamey's is the biggest with the lowest (best) student to teach ratio. Also, they typically have 20-30 sax teachers per workshop (or so I'm told) which is ten times the number of the other camps I researched.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

Default Re: Jazz camp for adults, has anyone attended one of these recently?

I did the Stanford Jazz work shop about 5 or 6 years ago. It was super fun. I would do it again in a heart beat. I learned a lot and got to play a lot of tunes with many different people.
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

Distinguished SOTW Member

The Vermont jazz camp for adults (just google jazz in vermont and you'll find it) gets rave reviews from it "campers". From what I hear it's a great "hang" and is so aesthetically pleasant that they get a very high rate of of return campers every year.

Distinguished SOTW Member DanPerezSax's Avatar

Sounds like fun. I'd be interested in going to one of those if it's affordable.

I attended the UNT Jazz Combo Workshop a few years back and the students ranged from 9th grade to 70 years old. Very helpful camp and not too expensive.
    UNT Jazz Grad Student/Freelance Saxophonist - DFW Private Lesson Instructor
    Selmer Series II alto / Morgan Jazz 7M - Java 3
    Yamaha 82Z tenor / Vandoren Java T55 - Java 3 / Guardala MB II - Java 3

Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeonum Randall's Avatar
    Wilmington, Delaware (formerly Fukuoka Japan)

Jazz Vermont is EXCELLENT. I went 3 years ago and want to go again, soon!
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft stencil- American Professional Altos: Yanagisawa A-pattern 9937 sterling, Saxgourmet Model 6, Cannonball 98, JK SX90 straight, Viking M21 Swing Sonic, TJ Prototype Sterling Silver, Vintage King C-mels: Aquila Sax matte black nickle Tenors: King Super 20 Silversonic, B&S Sterling Medusa, Ref 54, Buescher 400 TH&C Bari: JK SX90R satin silver, Maxtone flat matte laq. I am not a paid endorser for ANYTHING!

I attended the Aebersold camp a few years back. Well worth the money, and on top of what you learn, they had faculty concerts during every lunch, and for three hours every night. Just make sure you have your major and dorian minor scales down as a minimum to get the most out of it.

man to have a week full of just playing.... that would be bliss!!

Over the last three years I have attended the Jazz Sax Camp in Ottawa, headed up by Mike Tremblay. Over the years he has arranged a series of master classes with the likes of Petr Cancura and Kirk MacDonald. The classes have been built around quartets/quintets, along with improvisation and working toward a recorded performance.

The weekly sessions focus on improvisation, sight reading, transposing chords into diatonic harmony (I hope that is right), and rehearsals. I have really enjoyed the camps, as you get to see bright young people, who are way better than I will ever be, in the early stages of their development.

The camp runs over a month and culminates in two performances. There is something about the summer time atmosphere that makes the whole thing a blast.

So in short, if you can do a Jazz or Sax camp, do it.

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

I've done Jazz Camp West (in California) for two years, and it is a blast: http://www.jazzcampwest.org/. You can pick six classes/ensembles from a large range of classes (e.g. sax technique, big band, beginning improvisation, multiple jazz combos, new orleans jazz, composing and arranging, etc.). Those fill up the morning and afternoon. Then there is an open mike before dinner, faculty concert after dinner, then an open jam session until...

It is one week, all adults and older teens (with teacher recommendation), and it is about $900-1100 depending on accommodations. It is at a YMCA camp in the redwoods.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Mike - I'm unclear about your request. You title the thread "Jazz camp for adults..." and then launch directly into referencing Aebersold Camps. Are you aware that these are a multi-aged camps? If no, then now you know. . If yes, why the title?

To all others - if I were to attend a camp I would go to Litchfield http://www.litchfieldjazzfest.com/ljc . It looks really good on several levels.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Mike,

You're in Washington...definitely check out Centrum's Jazz port townsend. It is all ages and levels from people just getting started to seasoned pros looking to hang. There are only three sax teachers but the camp is great. I attended three times and certainly will again in the future. Two years ago I spent the week working in a group of 6 with Eric Alexander and the year before with Jeff Hamilton...so you'll get to meet some cool guys. Plus it is near where you live and the end of the week is full of concert by the biggest names out there.

http://www.centrum.org/jazz/

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Just a comment about how many sax teachers may be at a camp/clinic, which may not necessarily be a good thing. I have noticed that at some mega-camps there are a number of sax teachers who might be excellent instructors, but nevertheless, as a participant, it might be similar to getting a graduate student vs. the sax professor at a large university. I have been to two clinics where there was a relatively small number of sax players but once it was with Dick Oats and once with Billy Harper - no other sax teachers. It doesn't get much better than that.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Forum Contributor 2014 Jacques5646's Avatar

Attended three times the Aebersold summer school, one in England, the last two in Louisville, KY, and am looking fwd to go for the fourth time. My roommate is a Canadian guy, 68 if I remember well, who came something like 10 times and swears he'll come until he dies !

Alongside a well honed, if a bit hectic, technical and logistical organization, you'll certainly find there musical food for a whole year of sheeding and performing. After a cool short audition (playing some scales, a blues with the attending faculty at the piano and improvising a few bars on a standard) and written test (mainly on chord structure and chord/scale relation, an Aebersold favorite), you'll be assigned to a one-week theory course, level I to IV, with guys like Jamie A., David Baker, Dan Hearle or Pat Harbison) and a combo led by one of the 70 faculties, with two playing sessions per day. Among the saxists, last year were Eric Alexander, Antonio Hart, Greg Fishman, Gary Campbell, Tim Armacost and many others. There are also daily master classes (maybe a rather weaker point in the organization) and, as said, daily double fantastic lunch-time and evening concerts with the faculty: e.g., last year, a one-hour "cutting contest" between Antonio Hart and Jim Snidero, fantastic session with Eric Alexander, Jim Rotondi, etc. Unbelievable opportunity to be exposed daily to and freely discuss with some of the best musicians on the jazz scene: very friendly atmosphere throughout.

And I forgot: I found the mixture between kids in their younger teen, young adults and seniors very refreshing. All the youngsters I met were very polite and cooperative, with the exception of a very small bunch of rather arrogant high school - college level attendees, technically extremely skilled, who battle against each other every night in fierce post-concerts jams sessions with nothing played under 350 bpm; but some of these guys are really good !

Look fwd to meeting you this year; if you decide to attend, drop me a line as a PM.

Jacques
    (Jazz) is a lot of wrong notes...especially people who play jazz saxophone. Spinal Tap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH1pw4EMe4g (1:20; 2:05)

Bari Conn 11 M, N238xxx; Mpcs: Silver Barone 2002; Drake Crossover II. Tenor King Cleveland Super 20, 267xxx; Mpc: Barone Hollywood 7*. Flute Sankyo Silverite; Haynes head

Returning Saxophonist
    Forum Contributor 2014

Attended three times the Aebersold summer school, one in England, the last two in Louisville, KY, and am looking fwd to go for the fourth time. My roommate is a Canadian guy, 68 if I remember well, who came something like 10 times and swears he'll come until he dies !
    So do they happen in the UK as well as the US?
    Yani A991, NY Cafe Bros HR

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

Someone on another thread posted about one in Italy (not an Aebersold, but a different camp) that sounded really cool - I can't remember where it was, though.

Jazz Camp West is smaller scale - each year they have two sax instructors (this year it is Mary Fettig and Dayna Stephens - Mary is not a big name, but is a monster player and a very good teacher). They typically have two sax technique classes, one for beginners/intermediate and one for intermediate/advanced, with between 2 to 8 students per teacher.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

I did Maryland Summer Jazz with Jeff Antoniuk two summers ago and hope to do it again this summer.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Quote Originally Posted by artstove View Post
    Someone on another thread posted about one in Italy (not an Aebersold, but a different camp) that sounded really cool - I can't remember where it was, though.
    Guilty as charged.

Berklee has a two week Umbria Jazz Clinic:
    http://www.umbriajazzclinics.it/Medi...61&explicit=SI

which runs concurrently with the fantastic Umbria Jazz Festival:
    http://english.umbriajazz.com/MEDIAC...27&explicit=SI

There is also the Veneto Jazz Clinics, run by the New School for Jazz (NY)
    http://www.newschool.edu/jazz/subpage.aspx?id=16694
    http://www.venetojazz.com/workshop/w...4FN868KT&prg=1

Both are superb. They're just different.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Jazz Vermont is EXCELLENT. I went 3 years ago and want to go again, soon!
    So I signed up for this. Anyone else going?
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Silver Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8

2000-something Yamaha YTS-475 (backup tenor) -- TW Durga 8

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by jaz9090 View Post
    So do they happen in the UK as well as the US?
    I have attended one in France for several years - great course (and fun!) - multinational students ( over 16) , and several Americans attend.

Look up Dordogne Jazz Summer School, www.jazzschool-dordogne.co.uk , and see teh comments / videos - accommodation is rather "basic", but you are not there for the rooms! ( and you can stay off site locally), but teaching, food and atmosphere are "spot on ".

I' m booked for 2011!

Blowhard2
    How much Truth can this World stand? - Mose Allison:
    Borgani Pearl Silver Jubilee Tenor Ser No 195xxJ, or MK7 with Mauriat "MkVI" neck . Lamberson / M7/L7/J8 Marc Jean Ligs - RPC Blue 105R, - Fiberreed M

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast