P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: used copper, or "penny " alto

Default used copper, or "penny " alto

There is one down at local shop. Have to inquire a bit about it. Plays nice, not sure how much he wants for it. The tech did any neccessary repairs, so nothing to really to have to spend in that area. Think pepper, desmond vibe, I am going to be using a meyer 5m on it, with Hemke 3's. Any advice on what I COULD expect on this alto in GREAT condition? It is up to shops discretion...but...?

Default Re: used copper, or "penny " alto

Oh, the penny designation is the finish as it appears to my eye, but I'm sure you guys know that!

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

If "penny" is your designation (at first I thought it was a brand), then you need to tell us what make this is or we won't know.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I can only imagine that this is about a copper alto saxophone sold under the brandname Antigua and the mode AS 4240VC? (is that what you, and you alone, call " penny model"? )
    Antigua saxophones have , in general, a good reputation and copper saxophones are, aside from their looks, not too different from saxophones made in other materials ........in as much that I believe that material doesn't, in itself, produce any difference although lately Martinmods came up with an nice interpretation (which I cannot verify because of the lack of specific technical knowledge) that different metal bend in a different way (due to their hardness ) and that if the toneholes are extruded this might result in a slightly different angle of the chimneys hence a different sound than a similar model mad ein another metal (of course this leaves the problem of the saxophones made without extrusion of the toneholes).
    Anyway. A copper saxophone, nice as it might be, it would be better being lacquered because it will turn into a maintenance nightmare pretty soon and get , if you are lucky, the " penny" dull patina in time or a nice green hue .

i cant believe i forgot to put in antiqua, wrote late last night, sorry guys. it looks nice, i guess i was commenting on the Antiqua saxes themselves. Sorry for the loss of sense during late night typings.

I didn't know if the finish, which you answered milandro, would be a pitential nightmare. He said he wanted 1600 dollars for it, which i might not pay if maintenence would be a problem. I had a tenor player who had an Antiqua in black nickel plating, he never had problems with it as far as I know. After couple years, no apprent signs of wear. It sounded fine to me. I was just mainly wondering about overall satisfaction of horn by people. Sorry, again for not being specific.

No prob, incidentally, it is AntiGua with a G

Thank you milandro, looking into the barone vintages as well. Decisions!

Antgua has recently gained the co-operation of Peter Ponzol (who has been hopping about saxophone companies for many years now) he has been producing great results with many other companies before and I am sure he would do the same this time around too.
    http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/31329/A...h-Peter-Ponzol

Yes they are a viable contender for my wallets decrease , this may not be for a year or so, but shopping the market. They have good tone from what I have heard, while playing drums in the band, at least on the Tenor side of things.