Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Playing Tenor Sax helps Alto Sax embouchure?

I don't regularly play Tenor, but I was playing around and played it for a few minutes and switched to Alto. It seemed a lot easier. I was curious if anyone had any experience about switching from Tenor to Alto and if it really helped.

Default Re: Playing Tenor Sax helps Alto Sax embouchure?

Um, no. Maybe warming up on Tenor is the key.....ie: you were warming up.

Actually I found this to be true also, back when I was biting way too much on alto. Tenor helped loosed in up a bit. Another thing you can try to cure biting is to push your alto mouthpiece in too far, then try to lip everything down to play in tune. That helps also
    GAS-free since Feb 2011

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

It does help with the biting issue, but if I play tenor for too long and then occasionally pick up the alto, at first my alto tone sucks. The embouchure is so loose that I don't get the kind of sound that I'm supposed to produce on an alto. On alto I feel you need to tighten up the embouchure a little more, but not too much, of course. But generally, I would say yes, the tenor does help.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Distinguished SOTW Member Kelly Bucheger's Avatar

I sometimes feel that the years I've spent working on long tones and overtones on my tenor were all about ... getting a good alto sound!
    My BRAND SPANKING STILL HERE CD, • House of Relics • iTunes, Amazon, Bandcamp.
    Sakshama Link on a VIGwind Slant on a 10MTenney Berg on a VIPhil-tone Alto on a TH&C

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

tenor needs more air so you get good support on alto after you play tenor but alto uses a more focused air stream. So it helps but it is different. When you can change your airstream consistanly when you switch horns you will have much more success on both horns.
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

Distinguished SOTW Member Fader's Avatar

If I want my playing experience to seem easy, I'll just play the Bari for a while before picking up the alto or tenor. Everything is easier after a 20 minute workout with a cheap chineese bari

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

I find the opposite thing to be true: I need a more relaxed embouchure on alto. Going back to the tenor, that improves my tenor playing. Anyhow, playing both, I find they feed off of each other - it is really benificary. Or maybe it is because o have to really zoom in into the sound production when I change - in other words, being more focused when I practise.

Reine

after i play tenor, i feel like there's too much resistance in my alto. it feels very small and quiet... i'm considering maybe getting a mouthpiece with a wider tip opening for alto? my sr tech in 0.110, and my meyer is 0.076 (6).