P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Amati Kraslice Classic Deluxe soprano saxophone

Default Amati Kraslice Classic Deluxe soprano saxophone

Greetings. I own my father's old soprano saxophone, but I dont know a thing about it. I posted this to old forum but not much info came.

So, engravings in the bell says "Amati Kraslice Classic Deluxe", so I guess that is it's model. I contacted Czech Amati-Denak-company, wich probably made saxophones in village of Kraslice, as said in their webpage (http://www.amati.cz/), by e-mail, but they didnt want to answer me. At least after months of waiting nothing came. So could you know anything?

It is half-silver, half-gold in color (er, what's the word...?). The main body is gold, other things silver. It has marking "3612 Made in Czhechosslovakia" under thumbrest, so I would guess it is quite old.

I would like to know what do you think of it, how much it is worth, is it wort repairing (it has few problems) or should I just buy new horn etc. etc.

Thank.

Thanks*

No-one knows nothing? I would send pictures, but I dont have scanner or digi-cam, so all you got is this info.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Gandar: I saw your original posting, but had no knowledge of the horn you described. Short of an overhaul, maybe a tech could fix the "problems" for a lot less money and make the horn playable. Then you can reach an opinion about it and tell us. There are some "jewels" out there among lesser or even unknown brands . . . maybe yours is one of them. Good luck. DAVE

Thanks. I try to get it fixed, if it doesn't cost too much. Though I think it has quite much stuff to repair.

Now, little broken, it sounds like drunken duck, or so. Though I dont say drunken duck sounds bad...

AND Amati-Denak horn are somewhere sold as "professional horns", but that may be just lie to get people to buy it. And my horn isnt Amati-Denak, just Amati (Kraslice). Few people on the old forum said Amati saxes suck bad. Dunno.

Amati still makes student instruments, the quality has often been rather poor, although some users of this forum have had good ones. I believe they were also responsible for the 'Corton' instruments as well as making horns for other brands such as Boosey & Hawkes. Its not necessarily old - quite likely less than 30 yrs

Well, I would say 20-30 years, propably around 20.

my Bari is just labelled Amati, so they definitely existed as a brand in their own right.
    It plays quite nicely, though some dodgy intonation (could just be me and beinga tenor player, but nevermind)
    can't really say past this, hope you find something on your sax

The Classic, Classic Super and Classic Deluxe were Amati's instrument line in the 1950's and 1960's, succeeding the Toneking model.

Value is extremely variable. Amati enjoys trying to position themself as a kind of "Czech version of Yamaha", but their horns are not close to that quality, but considering that this was Amati's top-custom line (it appears), it might be worth repairing.

See also my breezy Amati history mentioned on http://saxontheweb.myforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=1412 in regard to how they relate to the Keilwerths.

(Oh. The general name that we use when talking about a horn with a lacquer body and nickel-plated keywork is "two tone" )

Distinguished SOTW Member.

If you want to know more about Amati, then go to someone who really knows them (and is a U.S. distributor), his name is Graham Golden and his website is: http://www.grahams-music.com/
    Amati has had a checkered history, some of their horns were awful, many were so-so, but from what I've read lately their latest crop of saxes and clarinets can be quite good.

Thanks, you have been great help. Now I just need money to repair it

/edit: Just heard that he bought it as used horn around 1980's. So I would guess, that is is made around 60-70's..

Distinguished SOTW Member.

I have an Amati "Super Classic" alto, of unknown vintage but I'd guess ca. 1970s, which actually plays quite well. The ergonomics and appearance are strictly "intermediate", but for the very little I paid for it I got a heck of a good buy.

Default Re: Amati Kraslice Classic Deluxe soprano saxophone

Quote Originally Posted by Gandar View Post
    Greetings. I own my father's old soprano saxophone, but I dont know a thing about it. I posted this to old forum but not much info came.

So, engravings in the bell says "Amati Kraslice Classic Deluxe", so I guess that is it's model. I contacted Czech Amati-Denak-company, wich probably made saxophones in village of Kraslice, as said in their webpage (http://www.amati.cz/), by e-mail, but they didnt want to answer me. At least after months of waiting nothing came. So could you know anything?

It is half-silver, half-gold in color (er, what's the word...?). The main body is gold, other things silver. It has marking "3612 Made in Czhechosslovakia" under thumbrest, so I would guess it is quite old.

I would like to know what do you think of it, how much it is worth, is it wort repairing (it has few problems) or should I just buy new horn etc. etc.

Thank.
    hey i got a soprano like that from a friend with the same names on it . the number is 33xx , nothing wrong with it at all ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    grooove,feel,and flooooow

Default Re: Amati Kraslice Classic Deluxe soprano saxophone

Gandar,
    read:http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/Amati-History.html

then go to the Amati section:
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin...play.php?f=236
    Lots of information on Amati.

I and many other owners believe they are excellent instruments, generally underrated.

David Spiegelthal: The link to Graham's music does not work for me. He seems to have disappeared, do you have any newer info?

Regards
    Dennis
    AMATI AAS 62 Alto; Meyer 6m, Rico 2.5.
    AMATI ATS 83P,Tenor; Meyer 6M, Rico 2.5
    AMATI ABS 31 Baritone, ??? mpc, Rico 2.5