Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GREG WIER or JJ HR

Hi, i need change my setup now and i´m looking for a GW Slant copy or JJ HR. I have read some information about them but i don´t want fail in my decision.

Actually i play a Morgan Jazz M and i like it, but i prefer a sound a bit more dark and fat without loss the projection and volume.

I need somebody who play this two, ¿ are they very diferent ?

Thanks

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: GREG WIER or JJ HR

I've been playing a GW 8 Slant Link copy for about a year on my tenor and it is extremely dark with great subtones plus a nice thick middle and upper register. As far as projection is concerned the more you push the GW the more resistant it gets the better the tone gets. A great piece for around $100usd, and Greg Wier is easy to work with.

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

I have JJHR 6 for alto. It's a great lead alto piece but, for me, it is not leaning toward "the dark side" as you described you wanted. I find it brighter than my Phil-tone HR. However, in the areas of volume and projection, it fits the bill nicely.
    Tenor: Saxart Creative Tenor Silverplate, Warburton LA 7*, ED Rovner lig.
    Alto: Selmer Mk VI, Barone Vintage, ED Rovner lig
    Soprano: Jupiter 947, Bari HR, ED Rovner lig

Thanks Modman for your words .
    You tell that is extremaly dark, uhmmmm...., i´ve listen some audio clips on Steve Neff web, and it wasn´t extremely dark, maybe the sax is the answer, i don´t know .

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mante View Post
    Thanks Modman for your words .
    You tell that is extremaly dark, uhmmmm...., i´ve listen some audio clips on Steve Neff web, and it wasn´t extremely dark, maybe the sax is the answer, i don´t know .
    ... or maybe the reeds ... not to mention the player.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Hi Souportwenty, i don´t want a dark side mouthpiece, only a bit more that my Morgan Jazz, that is in the bright side. And more fat too.

... or maybe the reeds ... not to mention the player
    Yes, another two good reasons

Quote Originally Posted by mante View Post
    Hi Souportwenty, i don´t want a dark side mouthpiece, only a bit more that my Morgan Jazz, that is in the bright side. And more fat too.
    Too bad you don't have a Morgan Jazz in the L chamber. They are fantastic and darker than your M chamber. However, many "Slant" style pieces will put you in the tonal spectrum you are looking for. I don't think that Greg Wier or JJ HR* are your only options.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Atonal View Post
    I don't think that Greg Wier or JJ HR* are your only options.
    There we go again ... let the list begin. So true, though.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Quote Originally Posted by jlima View Post
    I know, I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but......

Too bad you don't have a Morgan Jazz in the L chamber. They are fantastic and darker than your M chamber. However, many "Slant" style pieces will put you in the tonal spectrum you are looking for. I don't think that Greg Wier or JJ HR* are your only options
    Jajaja, Ok Atonal, you have reason, if i would have the money i would buy a Morgan MLL ( i´ve read many good things about it ) or the L. Now it isn´t my best moment to waste this amount of money.
    The JJHR and the GW cost the same,140$ more or less. Morgan 255$, plus shipping to Spain where i´m from.
    Morgan´s are good mouthpieces, perhaps i should wait two months more and keep the money.

You are very dangerous, jajaja

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

PM sent

[QUOTE=mante;1554285]Hi, i need change my setup now and i´m looking for a GW Slant copy or JJ HR. I have read some information about them but i don´t want fail in my decision.

but i prefer a sound a bit more dark

Sorry, I guess I didn't quite understand what is was you are after. Hey, the player and reed choice (brand and strength) can all be contributing factors in the whole dark/bright scheme of things. I guess it's all relative. Good luck with your search. I do find the JJHR to play brighter for me than some other HR pieces with my setup but I've never tried a Morgan Jazz M so I really don't have a reference point for you.
    Tenor: Saxart Creative Tenor Silverplate, Warburton LA 7*, ED Rovner lig.
    Alto: Selmer Mk VI, Barone Vintage, ED Rovner lig
    Soprano: Jupiter 947, Bari HR, ED Rovner lig

Sorry, I guess I didn't quite understand what is was you are after. Hey, the player and reed choice (brand and strength) can all be contributing factors in the whole dark/bright scheme of things. I guess it's all relative. Good luck with your search. I do find the JJHR to play brighter for me than some other HR pieces with my setup but I've never tried a Morgan Jazz M so I really don't have a reference point for you.
    Ok, don´t worry Souportwenty.

Thanks for trying to help

Forum Contributor 2008

I've owned both, neither one is super dark. I sold the GW because I didn't care for the tone I got out of it, something too hollow about the sound. I love the JJ and I will never part with it. It has a big and deep sound, but can get pretty edgy when you push it if you like. It fills the room and I think it has a beautiful sound. There used to be a video of someone playing the JJ HR on Jodi's site, you might want to give that a listen. That's how they play for me, could be different for you. I know Jody has a free trial policy.

I agree. If you are happy with the Morgan M just get a Morgan M. The workmanship of the Morgan will be infinitely better than the GW and the Jody piece is an even smaller chamber than your Morgan M. Will definitely not be darker or fatter than you Morgan. Save your pennies and get a Morgan L.

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

I have both - the JJ is noticeably brighter. I would call it medium - neither super dark nor super bright. The GW Slant is darker - I would call it medium dark to dark. I haven't tried a Morgan, though, so I don't know how it compares.

I have the GW Slant for sale ($75) here: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...or-Mouthpieces (along with a Phil Tone Link, if you want super dark...)

The workmanship of the Morgan will be infinitely better than the GW and the Jody piece
    It´s an important point, recently read a thread where it was compared, Morgan was the clear winner. But however, i talk with a friend and he changed his Morgan 9L to JJHR, he play a Excalibur too and now he´s happy with JJHR.

I love the JJ and I will never part with it. It has a big and deep sound, but can get pretty edgy when you push it if you like
    Most people described the JJ as you, big and deep with some edgy, is a good signal.

I have the GW Slant for sale
    Thanks Artstove, but it´s very open for me.

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jlima View Post
    ... or maybe the reeds ... not to mention the player.
    It is probably my set-up, the tenor I am playing took a paint peeling Vandoren T95 Jumbo Java high baffle mouthpiece and #3 plasticover reeds to make it any brighter; but that said you need not limit yourself to only 2 choices unless finances are the limitation.

I played 3 of G.W.'s pieces prior to finding the "slant link" copy of his to work the best with this particular reed/mpc. set up.

However do not discount mouthpieces that are less expensive. You have to try them to know what works for you.

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast