P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Is there a best time of the year to buy?

Default Is there a best time of the year to buy?

Hi everyone, I would just like to know if there is a better time of the year to buy a used sax, for instance is winter better than spring etc. I am looking for a used yas-23 alto or comparable for myself. Thank you. Glen

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Is there a best time of the year to buy?

Now is a good time to buy. There are some really good deals out there...life is tough these days. Other than that I would say some of your best deals are in the summer time. However, there may be less inventory as well. Ive seen a lot of vito's for 200 bucks and 23's for 400 or less that are in pretty good shape.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Thank you for your advice. Glen

So Vito's are a reasonable brand to look at?

Distinguished SOTW Member BlueTrane2028's Avatar

Some Vitos are actualy YAS and YTS 23s with Vito stamped on it instead of Yamaha.
    Soprano – Olds "Pro SS" | Alto – 1940 King Zephyr | Tenor – 1970 Selmer Mark VI | Bari – YBS-62 | Clarinet – Buffet E-13 | Bachelor of Music – West Chester University

Is there a way to tell which vito's are actually Yamahas? Thanks

Forum Contributor 2012

I might suggest that you go for a Vito which is NOT a Yamaha...the Beaugnier made/designed ones from the '50's-'70's's (either made in France or parts from France assembled in Kenosha, WI) are flat-out superior instruments to the Yamaha-made ones.

With that said....if you look at a Yamaha-made Vito alto, you are basically looking at an incarnation of a 23. Those would be the Vito 7131...Japan-made ones, if I am not mistaken.

(I believe the Vito 7133...which looks hella the same, is the Taiwan-made version, same factory as the Jupiters. Not a bad starter horn by today's standards ~ better than most newer budget altos ~ but not as good as the Japanese-made older siblings).

And, yes...as noted...they tend to go for $100+ less than the exact same instrument engraved Yamaha. There was a fella selling one on eFlay recently which looked really clean, and had just been tech-adjusted, for a $250 Buy Now...and the auction stayed up there for days and days...while folks were buying yas-23's left and right for $350-400..... all of which needed some work.

Go figure....

....generally I'd agree w/ Sigmund....not so much seasonal thing anymore...the economy is in the tank and all the idiots in DC seem intent on doing all they can.... to make sure it stays there and folks keep on hurtin'.

It's a buyer's market....and that ain't gonna be a'changin' anytime soon...if at all.....
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Forum Contributor 2013

Ive seen Vito's that look great on my local Craigslist for 200 or 250.00. Why do I not need a sax when they are so much more affordable?
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

SOTW Columnist

Best time to buy is when you find a sax you like for a price you can afford. This is not dependent on the seasons.

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Best time to buy is when you find a sax you like for a price you can afford. This is not dependent on the seasons.
    +1!
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

San Angelo, Texas-The place you have to be going to, to get to.

I always look at the saxophones when I browse pawn shops. The huge majority of them are student horns, and the shops tend to have more of them at better prices in the late spring, when the school marching bands are wrapping up. Prices seem to go up in August, when students are headed back to marching band. I also see more ads in the paper April-June. Let me plug King student horns. I have a King 660 alto which I prefer as much over my Yamaha 23 as I prefer the Yamaha over my Chinese one. I haven't been able to find much info on the King student saxophones, other than they were made in the USA and King stopped making them sometime in the early nineties. It has a more mellow sound than the Yamaha, and is more responsive, especially at the low end.
    Talent is a gift from the Lord.
    Don't squander it......

1990's King student sax?

Well, King was part of UMI with Conn and Armstrong... I hope it's not the same sax the Conn/Armstrong model was. I'm all too well aware of the hell that those Conn and Armstrong student models were/are. Both of the ones I've owned (one was labeled Conn, the other Armstrong) had exactly the same layout and exactly the same fault: the bell brace cannot be tightened enough, the bell actually moves with slight pressure. As a result the lowest two notes NEVER seal right. They play well enough, but I've had quite enough, thanks. I'd take the Yamaha to not have that repeat itself.

That being said, I tried a Yamaha 23 alto last night, to compliment my 23 tenor I keep around as a backup... and it was a dog. The octaves were sixty cents off of each other. My 23 tenor is as close to perfect as any sax I own in this regard, so this one was probably just an anomaly, but it was really bad.
    Soprano – Olds "Pro SS" | Alto – 1940 King Zephyr | Tenor – 1970 Selmer Mark VI | Bari – YBS-62 | Clarinet – Buffet E-13 | Bachelor of Music – West Chester University

King's current website has a Conn-Selmer copyright. They give the King history through the H.N. White years, but it gets vague after the sixties. They show they currently make mostly brass instruments-no saxophones listed. I've run across the King 613 series, which is part of the classic King sax stable. I've run across the alto 660, which I have, and the tenor 662, which I want. My alto is stamped "USA", but does that mean it was made here? It is a very solid horn, with rolled tone holes and solid ergonomics. As I mentioned, the tone is a little deeper and "softer" than my Yamaha YAS-23. It has a darker gold lacquer, compared to the Yamaha's brighter bronze look. The King plays like a dream, with easy transition off the octave key down to the spatula notes. The bell on mine doesn't move at all. They aren't near as common as the 23's or Bundys, but well worth a look in my opinion.
    Don't squander it......

There was a rolled tone hole Conn in the same time period, which you occasionally stumble on... it was a notch higher than the stuff I was talking about, and I had no idea they made 'em with the King brand on 'em also.

That might be a pretty rare piece.

Pics would be great!

Took some pix, but the upload hootie says the files are too large. I'll figure that out and get them up.
    Don't squander it......