P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Lost in San Francisco

Default Lost in San Francisco

I have made it to San Francisco to go to college and now I have a problem. You see I brought 1 of my altos with me so that I could play while I am in college, but (heres my problem) I don't know where I can go to play.

Are their any community band, parks, or just good places to practice around San Francisco???

If any of you live out here your help would be most apprecatied. BTW I live around Pine and Jones on Knob Hill.

Thanks in advance
    Paul

Distinguished SOTW Member Jerry K.'s Avatar

If the school has a music program you may want to check into practice room availability.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist
    Forum Contributor 2010

Or ask at a music store what bands might have openings.
    "I played the wrong, wrong notes." - Thelonious Monk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns ~ Woodwind Forums ~ The Bis Key Chronicles

I haven't found a local music store (yet, but I'm looking), and their is not a music program here.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Paul

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011

When I was studying music in SF I had a job at a small security (alarm) company -4 to midnight. All I did was wait for alarms to go off or for people to call in with their codes. They didn't care if I practiced when everyone went home for the day as long as I was there to monitor the alarms and phones. I had a friend who had the night job manning the desk at a storage facility, who also was able to practice after about 8 or 9 pm. You may have to get creative.....

Distinguished SOTW Member tinpalaceroach's Avatar
    Deep Dark Thoughts, Dangerous Bronx, NY and now Boreing Florida!

try asking at lee's sax worx 1724 taraval st. btwn 27th and 28th san francisco tel:415-759-6001 if you run into the great john handy ask him. one of my favorite altoists!

Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Haven't been to SF in several years. But, when I was there, there were always several conga players jamming in Golden Gate Park on Sunday afternoons. They always welcomed horn players; it was a good situation to meet other players.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

I haven't lived there for 6 years so there is probably alot going on that I don't know about. But Golden Gate Park is a great place to practice, especially this time of year.
    jazzbluescat's recommendation is great fun, it's on the eastern end of GGP. If you don't hear the sound of the conga's, ask someone where hippy hill is. There is also a similar scene down at Fisherman's wharf at Aquatic Park.
    There used to be a jazz jam session around the Hall of Flowers in GGP by the tunnel. Don't know if that is still going though.
    I used to go out by myself sometimes and blow long tones amongst the eucalyptus trees.

Can you use an area of your college for practice? I know SF state and City collage have music practice rooms that can be used, even if you are not enrolled.

Union Music is just a few blocks away from Pine and Jones. They are at Bush between Van Ness and Polk. Great retail store and they have practice rooms. Lee sax work's is good too. He did a overhaul on my horn that was the best I've had.

Vince Wallace had/has a jam session at the Schooner tavern on Valencia around 29th street. Very relaxed atmosphere, all levels welcome.

If your into it, playing downtown on the street is an option. There are some fantastic musicians down there (also Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf).
    Serious coin can be made around the holidays.